• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Risk?!?

KnowTheToe

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
I was always a fan of Wabbit Wampage and Wabbit's Wevenge.

But if I were voting for Best Board Game, I'd be voting for Diplomacy.

-Hyp.

I love Wabbit Wampage!

2010 Risk Rocks. There is so much going on, that each game can be completely different. I say this with caution because I have only played it a few times, but each time is better than the last.

frankthedm

First Post
Wormwood said:
Cthulhu Risk: Deep Ones, Elder Things, The Great Race, the Spawn of Yog-Sothoth and the Mi-Go all battle for control over our puny sphere.

in the ancient times with continents of R'Lyeh, Mu, pangea etc , or in the era of humanity?

i would like that too!

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I think Risk Planescape would be the best alternative. What would be really cool is some kind of 3D risk board that incorporated the connections between the planes, but all those extra connections could be hard to manage in your head.

As for LOTR Risk, I really enjoyed it, as have the others that I've introduced to it. Is it perfect? No. Are some of the territories too small? Yes. Can the map be a little hard to read? Yes, so make sure you look carefully for bridges and rivers. Will I buy an expansion? Absolutely. It's almost impossible for me to find time to get the kind of D&D campaign together I want, but if I want to watch football and play a game, LOTR Risk is perfect for that.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Tsyr said:

I'd suggest either Dragonlance or Birthright... either are right for the "world war" feel of Risk. Dragonlance, you got your pick of wars to choose from... Birthright, hell... You could make it so that you could make any empire setup you wanted for a war.
Personally, between the two, Birthright have the perfect setup for a geopolitic-based game such as Risk.

Besides, Dragonlance is returning to its root as a D&D/d20 roleplaying game product this year (after having gone the card-based system route that pushed me away from one of my favorite fantasy world).

Destil

Explorer
Zaukrie said:
I think Risk Planescape would be the best alternative. What would be really cool is some kind of 3D risk board that incorporated the connections between the planes, but all those extra connections could be hard to manage in your head.
My hopes for Planescape risk are that the 'extra dimention' would be handled like the moon in 2210 to some degree, which worked quite well, really. (Even if not always the best tactictal option the moon's a hell of a lot of fun to fight over in 2210)
frankthedm said:

in the ancient times with continents of R'Lyeh, Mu, pangea etc , or in the era of humanity?

i would like that too!
I'd assume you're aware of cults across america?(http://www.atlas-games.com/caa_index.html)

Last edited:

chatdemon

First Post
I've played Risk since I can remember, I love it. The length of the game is part of what appeals to me, it's an all evening thing. Same goes for a well played game of Monopoly. I dislike games that only last 1/2 hour or an hour and then you're left sitting around arguing over which game to play next.

I'd personally like to see them reissue Castle Risk, it was a great game IMO.

As for their idea about pantheons battling for the ancient world, that could be cool, but I'd probably want to see the implementation before I said "Yeah, I'll buy that"

As far as an FR or DL version, I don't know. I'm not at all familiar with Dragonlance, and the Realms don't strike me as political enough or settled enough to base a wargame on. I picture isolated clusters of nations with vast amounts of space between them.

GH risk? Heck yeah, I'd buy that without hesitation. There's a fair amount of us Greyhawk fans who have been playing GH Risk for years anyway, using the map/gameboard from the Greyhawk Wars game put out by TSR around 1990 with the pieces and rules from either Risk or Castle Risk, since the mechanics of GHW were generally considered to be kind of lame.

I haven't, and don't plan to, checked out the Risk 2210 game, simply because the genre doesn't appeal to me, but I am glad to see Hasbro advancing the game and opening Risk up to a new batch of players.

Zeddan

Explorer
I am interested in some new Risk versions. The Ancient Mythology actually interests me more than the D&D Risk. Though I would not mind seing both.

I've played LoTR Risk twice, and I probably won't again. It was fun but the game seems kinda jumbled.

Risk 2210 though, ROCKS!!! I will play this over normal Risk anytime. The new elements completely change the strategy for the game every time you play. Most of the games of this I played took about 3 hours. Perfect when you have less time.

I just wish they would rerelease Titan.

D&D Risk Eh?

Well sounds cool to me but i prefure a good old game of D&D any day over Risk. How would they run it too. Make risk into a D20 system? Doesnt make sence to me but oh well. It can be done it just has to be done carefully. They gatta watch out how they interpret the game. if done correctly it could be beutiful. Done wrong and it will suck horrible. Good luck though!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads