D&D should go point based!

greydown

First Post
I think one of the most overlooked rpg games in the industry (not to mention coolest) is the point based Everstone: Blood Legacy games. Although it uses many aspects from BESM d20, it is a self contained game (needing only the players handbook, lol, like many self contained d20 games really need the players handbook!).

My point is this. I think that the future of D&D is to use this method of point based characters, even though they have levels. Although M&M was point based it was a lot of legwork to create a character. Thing is about E:BL is that it is not as much work and still has a strong need for character classes. It simply allows the players to choose which ability (feat) they get every level, instead of having to wait for it. In this way every warrior, thief, barbarian, etc. is different.

Iron golem games has released a free online book which breaks the classes down into usable abilities (not the generic wide open format that BESM d20 does). They can easily be dropped into any campaign (we know because we tried it). We use the point based classes and traditional classes and I have to say that most of the players opted to start their character over after a few levels. The point based system was simply an awesome aspect. Of course there will be arguments to "mini-maxers" but I think it works very well. We have two mini-maxers in our game and of course they love it. But our more Role-playing players seem to love it as well. The classes list enough abilities that each is pleased.

Its kind of hard to explain. If you want to see what kind of point based system i'm talking about you should check out the FREE book at (www.irongolemgames.com). We play the core Everstone game but one of our GM's has allowed the use of the free books classes in his Forgotten Realms campaign and it is amazing how well it works out.

What does everybody else think about these classes, or point based d20 games?

fanboy2000

Adventurer
I prefer the current default system: points for some things, like skills, and randomness for Ability Scores and Hit Points. It keeps people from simply using the best build they found online.

Keeper of Secrets

First Post
Part of the charm of D&D is the fact that it is not point based. Though if you were so inclined to have it be point based you could certainly do it - with a little bit of work. Though it is that kind of thing that is just too much work for such little pay off.

Psion

Adventurer
Hammerhead said:
So do you like work for this company, or what?

I was wondering the same thing.

At any rate, I don't see "point based" as inherently virtuous in gaming systems. If I wanted a point based, there are plenty out there. Let's keep D&D classed and leveled, thanks.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Personally, my favorite system of all time is HERO. I have yet to find a game system that offers the extreme flexibility of HERO both within and across genres.- though Mutants and Masterminds is close.

That said, point based systems have at least one flaw in common- it takes much more time to generate a PC in a point-based system than in class based systems. Why? While D20 allows a certain amount of min-maxing, in a point-based system, the min-maxing possiblities not only increase exponentially, but also are essential for having a workable PC build. Levels & classes take care of a HUGE amount of twiddling.

And, of class & level systems, D20 is my favorite thus far- and I've been gaming for 27 years.

Caveat- the QUICKEST RPG system out there AFAIK, is MetaGames' Melee/Wizard/In the Laybyrinth series. 3 stats, some few skills, a few races...15 minutes to make a PC. TPK on the adventure? Take a bathroom & snack break, and send the PC's outraged cousins in for revenge 20 minutes later. Lots 'o fun there, let me tell you. Track it down if you can find it...

Remove ads