• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D should go point based!

Crothian

First Post
Buy the Numbers takes care of that. I read over the PDF and ingoring the problems I have with the layout and complete lack of book marks, I'm not a great fan of the system. Also, I thought the XP needed for leveling could not be reprinted since it does not exist in the SRD. THey might want to be careful of that.

Roman

First Post
Crothian said:
Buy the Numbers takes care of that. I read over the PDF and ingoring the problems I have with the layout and complete lack of book marks, I'm not a great fan of the system. Also, I thought the XP needed for leveling could not be reprinted since it does not exist in the SRD. THey might want to be careful of that.

Buy (or "By"?) the Numbers might well take care of that but I do not know that game/system. The system the original poster is offering is free so it is certainly worth a look. I am not really interested in running a game without classes and levels, but the system might be useful for building more classes.

Crothian

First Post
Roman said:
Buy (or "By"?) the Numbers might well take care of that but I do not know that game/system. The system the original poster is offering is free so it is certainly worth a look. I am not really interested in running a game without classes and levels, but the system might be useful for building more classes.

THe correct title is Buy the Numbers, it is a play on words. It is written for d20, and takes all the classes apart, the abilities and feats gained through level advancement and makes them all cost experience. This way the experioence system is still very much in use and works right along with the product.

my review

the pdf

Errant

First Post
Actually I really like the idea of a point based system. Multiclassing is nice but being able to pick some abilities from one class & some from another at every level would be cool.

Point based systems just take too long to make characters with. I prefer having nicely delineated slots.

Point based attributes aren't so bad, they just aren't as cool as rolled up attributes.

Jürgen Hubert

First Post
D&D shouldn't go point-based. For me, the level-and-class system is the whole point of D&D (pardon the pun).

There are already plenty of very good point buy systems out there, like GURPS and Mutants and Masterminds - both of which I also play regularly.

But when I play D&D, I expect levels and classes. If you don't have levels and classes, then why bother playing D&D?

Mishihari Lord

First Post
I think D&D should be point-based.

Sure there are a lot of other games out there that do point-based just fine, but none of them have the same type of following as D&D. I'd like to play a point-based game _and_ have lots of people to play it with. Since there are so many players out there who unwilling to try anything that does not have "D&D" on the cover, the only way I'm going to get this is to change D&D.

Last edited:

Roman

First Post
I definitely want D&D to stay class-based and level-based, but the system the original poster linked is actually pretty good - in fact, it still retains classes and levels.

Psion

Adventurer
Roman said:
I definitely want D&D to stay class-based and level-based, but the system the original poster linked is actually pretty good - in fact, it still retains classes and levels.

Hmmm... perhaps I responded to quickly. To me, point based is the other end of the spectrum from "pure class based". I don't merely define it as "non random attribute generation."

As Crothian points out, lots of people play this way.

I, however, feel that it detracts from the game. But that's just a matter of preference.

Remove ads