D&D should go point based!

Since Sigil must have ring of fire resistance on or else his ear would be burning over the mention of BtN here, I'll point a few things out....

Crothian said:
THe correct title is Buy the Numbers, it is a play on words. It is written for d20, and takes all the classes apart, the abilities and feats gained through level advancement and makes them all cost experience. This way the experioence system is still very much in use and works right along with the product.
Buy the Numbers is an OGL work. It does not have the d20 logo on it and therefore can contain all the xp charts it wants. In it, you basically spend XPs on feats, skills, class features and abilities at whatever pace you want.
Always include the SRC=EnWorld tag in your links to rpgnow. It helps Morrus.

JimAde

First Post
jrients said:
I really like Everstone, but the idea that core D&D needs to look more like it is just crazy-go-nuts.
I wouldn't go that far. People already often allow swapping out class abilities. The example of a rogue without sneak attack, or a bard without spells, is pretty common. I've frequently seen threads with titles like: Rogue w/o SA, What's a good trade?

This is the same idea, just expanded to all class features (just like Buy the Numbers). I don't necessarily think it's needed, but I don't think it's a crazy idea.

jrients

First Post
JimAde said:
I wouldn't go that far. People already often allow swapping out class abilities. The example of a rogue without sneak attack, or a bard without spells, is pretty common. I've frequently seen threads with titles like: Rogue w/o SA, What's a good trade?

This is the same idea, just expanded to all class features (just like Buy the Numbers). I don't necessarily think it's needed, but I don't think it's a crazy idea.

I'd love to play a wizard with something cooler than a dang familiar, but that doesn't change the fact that I want predefined classes in my D&D game. I may not want exactly the core classes WotC offers, but I do want a class system for my D&D. As others have said, you might as well switch to HERO or somesuch if you are going to go to a point-buy system. I've seen people port their xD&D campaigns over to HERO or GURPS and what you gain in flexibility you lose in flavor, IMHO.

The Sigil

Mr. 3000 (Words per post)
jmucchiello said:
Since Sigil must have ring of fire resistance on or else his ear would be burning over the mention of BtN here, I'll point a few things out....
LOL... I didn't have my ring of fire resistance on, just was under the effect of a "Internet Blindness/Deafness" spell due to being busy at work.
Buy the Numbers is an OGL work. It does not have the d20 logo on it and therefore can contain all the xp charts it wants. In it, you basically spend XPs on feats, skills, class features and abilities at whatever pace you want.
True that an OGL work can contain XP charts. I do not believe I reproduced the actual 3/3.5e experience chart in it, however (going off memory). But good job on pointing that one out, Joe. :)
Always include the SRC=EnWorld tag in your links to rpgnow. It helps Morrus.
Agreed.

Thanks also to Crothian, for pointing out my work. And yes, it was a play on words. ;)

--The Sigil

Last edited:

Quickbeam

Explorer
Point based systems certainly have their place. But I am now, and forever will be, a 4d6 type of guy. Rolling up my character's stats is one of the greatest joys I have in creating a new PC.

Tuzenbach

First Post
Here's the problem with switching to points.......

The problem with switching to points is this:

Over time, more and more people will want to convert every and any aspect of D&D to points. Points will gradually overcome all of the current and traditional non-pointed aspects of D&D. In fact, people will flock to points as the predictability and ease of generation of numbers will add to the smoothness of all aspects of the game (playing, DMing, converting "outsiders" to D&D, etc.). It'll increase the "logicalness" of the game so more mathematicians and scientists will want to play, too.

So, for two or three decades, D&D will be nothing but points. Until.......

Yes, one day, someone will rebel. Perhaps it will be the non-mathematical conclave. You know, those persons who just can't stand statistics? They'll be the ones calling for a New Order in D&D. And they'll be good writers. And yes, they'll then have no choice but to write the following, "non-point" D&D system:

Dungeons & Dragons: Completely Pointless :uhoh:

So PLEASE!!!!!!!!! For the love of Zeus, don't ever convert to points!!!! :eek: :confused:

Remove ads