D&D storylines for a movie?

Hrm... going from the novels, I might go with Curse of the Azure Bonds. It's got a dragon, a mystery, plot twist, and a strong female lead. It'd need some work - I don't think Dragonbait's scent-based communication would work on-screen, and the big bad being a big pile of garbage (Moander) would need to be changed. It's also got just the right size of adventuring party to work, without overhwelming people with too many characters.

From the modules, I think I'd go more modern with one of the 5e modules, since they have stronger narrative meat. Maybe Tomb of Annihilation (but with a mostly-Chultan adventuring party, with the lead character suffering the Death Curse) or Dragon Heist.

aco175

Legend
The first few D&D movies could have worked- maybe. The main problem was no character development to become attached to. There was a BBEG that you had no reason to hate and a McGruffin to stop him which was all powerful. Forcing a movie to 90 minutes cannot work to become invested. Maybe with something small where the PCs become local heroes and save the village, only to cut to a end credit scene with a bigger BBEG watching them in a crystal ball.

A series like Game of Thrones would be great for development, but may have too many characters to become attached to. It would tell a great story, but drag. I would like to see a single season GOT style series and season 2 could be another set of characters or a whole new plotline.

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
I would say...

To make a film appropriate for all...

One not too controversial...

Module B3, Palace of the Silver Princess.

Shiroiken

Legend
I would personally love to see Temple of Elemental Evil, but I can't fathom how you could fit that into 2-3 hours without making it suck.

If they were willing to commit to a trilogy, I think the War of the Lance would be great, but they already tried an animated version that bombed.

Honestly, I think the simplest and best way to create a D&D movie would be to base it out of the Realms, in one of the better known areas (Waterdeep, Baldur's Gate, the Dalelands, Hillsfar). Create brand new characters, using the most common stereotypes (elf archer, human wizard, dwarf cleric, halfling rogue, half-orc barbarian, maybe a half-elf bard to round it out). Design the storyline to be a simple, one-shot adventure for low level characters, with a memorable BBEG monster. Like a D&D adventure, the story should have a conclusion, but with hints of something sinister behind the initial BBEG (in case a sequel is desired). A cut down version of the Starter Set adventure would work, but I think it'd be better for something new (not only so veterans don't know the outcome, but also to sell the adventure later).

S'mon

Legend
Honestly, R.A. Salvatore's The Crystal Shard hits a lot of the right beats. Big melee, evil wizard, a dragon, a sorta dungeon in the crystal towers. Lots of franchise opportunity.

This is my vote (maybe make drow dark purple?) :)
One thing I like about Crystal Shard is it has a slightly adult, swords & sorcery tone in places, which was discarded in the sequels. I think the D&D movie should be at least a 12-rated.

Jacob Lewis

Ye Olde GM
If it doesn't have Warduke, then it will probably fail according to marketing research.

2195898._UY585_SS585_.jpg

Attachments

• 250px-XL1_TSR9114_Quest_for_the_Heartstone.jpg
    250px-XL1_TSR9114_Quest_for_the_Heartstone.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 1,345

ClaytonCross

Kinder reader Inflection wanted
I think part of the problem is the PG mass audience lines they keep going for. They should stop trying to make a movie of mass appeal and find a true niche. Deadpool proved that due to lack of other targeted options when you give one it can draw big crows.

I feel like if they just did a rated R Curse of Strahd Ravenloft campaign related side story following a different path of adventures who … well.. don't win to introduce the concept and prove a D&D story can be good. Then if successful they can follow up with an R rated series or trilogy following the campaign of a group that follows the actual campaign and ...might... succeed if with a few loses.

That provides a basis of testing the waters without commitment and a more powerful better story arc treated with as something valuable instead of a self contained short story with a low budget and no plan forward.

Remove ads