D&D storylines for a movie?

jasper

Rotten DM
Why would D&D find it's niche in R rated? It's not like the game is R rated, nor is it even remotely meant to be. The game is very, very much PG.

Curse of Strahd is just warmed over Dracula. It's been done to death. What would differentiate a Strahd movie? Confusing people because your obvious Dracula stand in complete with bog standard Dracula plot (Strahd's lost love) has a funny name?
TRUTH ALERT TRUTH ALERT.
Mr. Hussar please report to the suicide booth for debriefing. Remember to bring you 27 yen for admission.

Why would D&D find it's niche in R rated? It's not like the game is R rated, nor is it even remotely meant to be. The game is very, very much PG.

Curse of Strahd is just warmed over Dracula. It's been done to death. What would differentiate a Strahd movie? Confusing people because your obvious Dracula stand in complete with bog standard Dracula plot (Strahd's lost love) has a funny name?

Agreed, and adding on to that: There is no more (or less) reason why a Ravenloft movie should have an R rating than any other D&D movie. The Universal and Hammer Dracula films that where such a strong influence of Ravenloft don't have R ratings.

Any D&D movie could go full Game of Thrones and get an R rating with explicit sex and violence. It might or might not make for a successful movie, but somehow I can't see toy manufacturer Hasbro allowing it...

1. not seeming like a LotR/Hobbit rip-off (in a lot of ways, we already have hugely successful D&D movies right there... however unfaithful they might seem to some)

That's not the only thing not to be seen to be knocking off. For example, and observant viewer might notice that a Baldur's Gate movie had more than a passing resemblance to Star Wars. "No, Gorion lied to you. I am your... brother."

tolcreator

Explorer
Little keep on the borderlands. Make it a fantasy western. Make it even dusty/deserty/out west. Our Hero rides into town and learns there's bandits/ goblins/ etc abouts. There's a bit of a hex crawl, a random encounter or two, they defeat the bad guys, come back to town, only to find the Mayor is behind it all or something.

So: Exactly a western, but with swords and magic.

I tried re-watching the Dragonlance cartoon recently. Honestly, the animation quality was even worse than I remembered. Both the CGI and hand-drawn animation. I had to stop for fear of clawing my eyes out.

I agree that the chances of the D&D movie going hard R are not likely. It's just not needed to tell the tale (whereas, yeah, with Deadpool, Logan, and Game of Thrones, it was needed). Heck, I spend enough time as it is yelling at certain people at one of my tables that the campaign is PG-13 rated!

Note to self. Take dvd off shelf and finally watch this movie.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Whatever they put out I'm sure I'll catch it when it hits the net. There is zero chance of it ever resembling a game of D&D I've played so it will just be another fantasy flick with D&D IP, so hopefully its got cool effects.

Little keep on the borderlands. Make it a fantasy western. Make it even dusty/deserty/out west. Our Hero rides into town and learns there's bandits/ goblins/ etc abouts. There's a bit of a hex crawl, a random encounter or two, they defeat the bad guys, come back to town, only to find the Mayor is behind it all or something.

So: Exactly a western, but with swords and magic.

Sounds boring.

Traycor

Explorer
There's 3 obvious choices.

1. Dragonlance
2. Drizzt
3. Baldur's Gate games

Each of them have some of the most iconic and memorable characters. Raistlin and Tasslehoff are super memorable.
Drizzt is the standout from his stories, as well as Jarlaxle.
Minsc is the most iconic from Baldur's Gate. Ironically, Xan is probably the second most memorable/unique of the characters, since he featured much less than the others.

Remove ads