D&D 5E D&D Studio Blog - Sage Advice - Creature Evolutions

There's a new D&D Studio Blog - Jeremy's posted about "Creature Evolutions": Creature Evolutions | Dungeons & Dragons

Some quick takeaways:
  • Some creatures that were formerly humanoids will, going forward, be monstrosities, fey, or something else. ("Humanoid" is reserved for creatures with similar "moral and cultural range" to humans.)
  • Alignment got put in a "time out".
  • They've started using class tags so that DMs know that a particular NPC can attune to magic items limited to a particular class.
  • Bonus actions get their own section in the stat block now.
  • They've merged the Innate Spellcasting and Spellcasting traits and have gotten rid of spell slots.
Also some stuff we've already guessed based on the stat blocks and playable races in Wild Beyond the Witchlight.

There's also some Sage Advice on "rabbit hops" for harengon PCs.

FA4V0VnXsAAPtoQ

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Which makes sense to me for Firenewts and Gnolls, but if Grimlocks, who are directly descended from humans, aren't humanoids than who is?
Chitine and Choldriths are both monstrosities, even though they're descended from Elves. You could just say "the modifications that the Mind Flayers have done to Grimlocks over the centuries has changed them so much that they're mindless monstrosities".

Just like how we're descended from Fish, but most people wouldn't say that humans are a type of fish.

Scribe

Legend
Not all PC races are going to be humanoid:

CREATURE TYPE​

In the past, a character race was presumed to have the Humanoid creature type. In the new races, the character’s creature type is specified. For example, the fairy has the Fey creature type.
I bet most will be.

Chitine and Choldriths are both monstrosities, even though they're descended from Elves. You could just say "the modifications that the Mind Flayers have done to Grimlocks over the centuries has changed them so much that they're mindless monstrosities".

Just like how we're descended from Fish, but most people wouldn't say that humans are a type of fish.
Sure. But Grimlocks are clearly a nod to the Morlocks, who are degenerate subteranian humans of the distant future from The Time Machine twisted without the intervention of magic. I'm not saying I can't accept that they could be classed as something else, I'm just saying that a player who hasn't memorized the Monster Manual but knows their Hold Person spell requires a "humanoid" is, based on any lore in universe they might be told after a knowledge check and on the larger sci-fi fantasy context, likely to expect it to work on a Grimlock.

Scribe

Legend
Yeah, that's fair. But they're opening things up so they don't feel like they have to make a playable race be a humanoid.
They never had to though.

What they are doing is making a specific call out.

We’ve also gotten strict about which monsters get the Humanoid creature type. This type is now reserved for creatures who are humanlike in their moral and cultural range.

The majority of PC options will have a 'humanlike' moral and cultural range.

They are simply making it more 'do whatever'.

And I mean that, in the sense they are removing themselves from the equation of being the ones to declare what a race is, so they wont take the heat anymore.

Scribe

Legend
Same, but I can see Elves going fey as well. Tritons coming from the plane of water might be some sort of Elemental or Fey. There are a lot of races that they could change with this.
Could, but I dont think thats the direction they are taking.

They dont want to be the ones to define what a race is, outside of a few special rules.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases