• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E D&D survey March 2016--Awakened Mystic, Kits of Old survey results, and "first, major mechanical expansion"

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Yes, thank you. And despite my misplaced wording, i stand by my statement - lots of things are mechanically awful. Beastmaster, i'm looking at you - and take a lot of DM fiat to make worthwhile again, and not every DM has a good grasp of mechanics to do it in a way that's fun and not over or underpowered.

You don't need to worry about everybody else... you need to worry about yourself. Do *you* feel as though your DM fiat isn't strong enough to fix the Beastmaster to make it worthwhile? If that's the case... look around here and you'll find plenty of people in the Downloads section who have made edits and fixes to the Beastmaster subclass.

ChrisCarlson

First Post
That's a subjective opinion, not an objective fact.
Agreed. For example, I've made it clear numerous times that I do not agree that the beastmaster is "mechanically awful". Nor, IMO, is it in need of "DM fiat to make worthwhile again." I've played one. Seen them in play by others at the table. Seem fine to me.

Do I get why some people think they suck? Sure. Sometimes they manage to express their reasons in something other than blind rage or vague decrying. Or, the ever popular, white-room theorycrafting bereft of actual, practical gameplay experience. Which, AFAICT, just leaves the folks who dislike how the beastmaster plays because it doesn't fit their preconceived notions of what it should be to them. But that's not the beastmaster class's fault.

CapnZapp

Legend
Agreed. For example, I've made it clear numerous times that I do not agree that the beastmaster is "mechanically awful". Nor, IMO, is it in need of "DM fiat to make worthwhile again." I've played one. Seen them in play by others at the table. Seem fine to me.

Do I get why some people think they suck? Sure. Sometimes they manage to express their reasons in something other than blind rage or vague decrying. Or, the ever popular, white-room theorycrafting bereft of actual, practical gameplay experience. Which, AFAICT, just leaves the folks who dislike how the beastmaster plays because it doesn't fit their preconceived notions of what it should be to them. But that's not the beastmaster class's fault.
Not the "the design is fine, your taste is poor" argument. Again.

If there ever was a case where it would be okay for y'all to even once admit a design was weak, it's the beastmaster.

ChrisCarlson

First Post
Not the "the design is fine, your taste is poor" argument. Again.

If there ever was a case where it would be okay for y'all to even once admit a design was weak, it's the beastmaster.
Your opinion is noted and acknowledged. If only you offered the same courtesy.

Also, your strawman attempts to discolor what I actually said is uncool. I never said anything about anyone having "poor taste". A taste differing from that which the devs intended? Sure. Absolutely. On its face. But that does not make it poor. Just different.

Remove ads