D&D General D&D Survivor - Dungeon Masters: Matt Mercer Wins!

Tinker-TDC

Explorer
What are people’s thoughts on why Ed is now the lowest?

it can’t be because of Drizz’t… that’s Salvatore’s fault.
Elminster?
The Seven Sisters?
… or perhaps the awful names?

I think he’s awesome and is the best homebrew DM of all time, so gonna keep upvoting him… but the names… oh god, the terrible names! 🙈
Haven't voted for or aganist him yet, but I know nothing at all about his DM style. I know he has a lot of lore and invented FR, but have no idea how he is at the table.

Tinker-TDC

Explorer
Dave Arneson, "Blackmoor" 32
Jasmine Bhullar, "Shikar" 25
Celeste Conowitch, "Venture Maidens" 15
Monte Cook, "Praemal" 23
Matt Colville, "The Chain of Acheron" 21
Ed Greenwood, "Forgotten Realms" 12
Katie Mae, "Generation Fantasy" 18
Montgomery Martin, "The Dungeon Dudes" 20
Matt Mercer, "Critical Role" 23
Brennan Lee Mulligan, "Dimension20" 20
Chris Perkins, "Dice Camera Action" 24
Satine Phoenix, "Maze Arcana" 24
Aram Vartian, "Godsfall" 18
Dave Walters, "Black Dice Society" 15

briggart

Adventurer
Monte Cook, "Praemal" 23
Montgomery Martin, "The Dungeon Dudes" 20-2=18
Brennan Lee Mulligan, "Dimension20" 20
Chris Perkins, "Dice Camera Action" 24+1=25
Satine Phoenix, "Maze Arcana" 24
Aram Vartian, "Godsfall" 18
Dave Walters, "Black Dice Society" 15

TheSword

Legend
Ed Greenwood, "Forgotten Realms" 12 About 5% of your world is cool. Which is nice to take inspiration from, but the rest is just useless. Who the f**k needs to know the role of turnips in the Forgotten Realms?!?!
What a shame you haven’t been able to explore Myth Drannor, or chart the tunnels beneath the Old Skull, or ride the river Dessarin to Sundabar, or hunt Phaerimm and Beholders in the Sharnlands, or find Hellgate Keep in the High Forest. Or defeat the minions of the Witchking in Frozen Damara.

95% of the world is cool. It’s just that people who don’t know what they’re on about, talk about the same 5%.

I mean if you’ve read it, and don’t like it, fair enough. I’m not sure what’s not to like, but it’s your life. You shouldn’t pretend it’s something it isn’t though.

TheSword

Legend
I love immersive worlds. I love being able to open up a book, point to a spot on a map, and come up with an adventure for that space based off of what the book says about that area. However, none of my players have ever asked about turnips in my Forgotten Realms (or any other) campaigns, and they also have never been incorporated into any campaign of mine. Because they're f*****g turnips, and they don't matter to D&D.
Incidentally as Jan Jansen would tell you turnips are very important! His cousin Kimble. He fell in love with a dwarven lass. She was stout and stocky, with a gruff voice and a soft, supple, full beard...

…Oh yes, she was a fine-looking woman... to Kimble's eyes, at least. She cast a spell on him far stronger than any sorcerer ever could. But she wouldn't have anything to do with Jan’s cousin—she had dwarven princes and clan lords after her calloused hand, and she couldn't be bothered with a dirt poor turnip-farming gnome. But Kimble's heart wouldn't be denied... he left his own family to follow this bewitching creature back to her clan home.

The cousin followed the lovely dwarven lass to her clan home in the Alimir Mountains and started a turnip farm there. He had a rough go of it at first, let me tell you... taxes, levies, zoning restrictions. It was almost like the dwarves didn't want him and his farm there. But they had never tried turnips, so they didn't really know what they were missing.

Once those turnips started to sprout, things changed in a hurry. Turns out the dwarves of that particular clan LOVED turnips. Fried, baked, boiled, whipped, pureed, mashed—you couldn't find a meal of the day that they didn't have turnips with. Turnips became so fashionable the dwarves began to wear clothes made from turnips. Never did a dwarf look so snazzy (or smell so appetizing) as when he was dressed up in a turnip top hat and turnip tails, with turnip skin shoes to complete the ensemble.
And with his turnip business booming, Kimble found himself with more wealth than he knew what to do with. Just walking around his house was an effort, what with all the mountains of gold spilling out of every door of every room.

Kimble was rich, true enough—but it turns out his dwarven love didn't share her clan's fondness for turnips. In fact, she was deathly allergic. She did her best to avoid the lethal vegetables, but as popular as Kimble's crops were, it was only a matter of time until she accidentally ate one.

It killed her, of course. Heartbroken, Kimble tried to return to his own people. But the dwarves weren't just going to let him and his turnips leave. They threw him in prison and demanded he reveal the secrets of turnip farming, but that isn't something you can just teach. You either have the gift or you don't, and dwarves don't. In the end, Kimble's frail body succumbed to the dwarves' torture and interrogation, and he left to join his beloved in the afterlife. And that particular clan of dwarves discovered that turnip farmers were almost as tasty as the turnips themselves. Or so I've heard.

😉

Last edited:

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
Haven't voted for or aganist him yet, but I know nothing at all about his DM style. I know he has a lot of lore and invented FR, but have no idea how he is at the table.
Yeah, its a problem with the "old guard" Dungeon Masters: they just aren't as accessible as the newer generation. Well, I say "problem" but I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing: ambiguity makes us fill in the gaps with our imaginations, and it's just as easy for us to imagine someone as being flawless as it is to imagine them being faulty. To some, you could do no better than Gary Gygax; to others, well, the opposite.

Ed Greenwood has run a few games at GenCon and D&D Experience and some other conventions over the years, but I'm not aware of any that were recorded. I was able to find a couple of interviews from GenCon on YouTube, though, where he talks about his books and the campaign setting. (Like this one and this one.) Maybe they will give you a feel for his world-building style, at the very least.

Here's a gem that I found on YouTube: Chris Perkins running a D&D game with BECM "red box" rules, with Ed Greenwood, Larry Elmore, and R.A. Salvatore as players. Ed isn't the DM for this game, but maybe it'll give you a sense of his play-style. (And maybe it'll give you an appreciation for all of the work and care and editing that goes into making a live-streaming D&D show.)

Last edited:

Torquar

Explorer
Monte Cook, "Praemal" 23
Montgomery Martin, "The Dungeon Dudes" 18