D&D General D&D vs. Anime

SirGrotius

Explorer
Not sure if this is a false-construct or if anything to it, but I seem to notice that I have my anime friends and I have my D&D friends. The guys/gals who are into anime seem to have a different preferred aesthetic than the ones who gravitate toward D&D.

If I were to characterize the two groups slightly more, there is one side that is drawn to the foreign, but in a brighter, more comic-esque sense, versus the other who is also seeking the fantastic, but in a grittier, almost realistic sense. They do not seem to overlap too often in my limited purview (e.g., the anime reader has shelves of anime books and maybe one D&D book, where as the D&D junkie has a shelves of said material and nary any anime to grace his/her shelves).

Curious if anyone else has seen this or more of a blending.

I've seen a lot of people who are fans of both. I've also played in very anime-esque DnD games. (It's quite doable)

What I have also seen is that there are number of DnD players who like a totally different fantasy aesthetic - one that's based more on 'classic' fantasy like Conan or Lord of the Rings or Game of Thrones - or other 'gritty' fantasy. They often read fantasy novels a lot as well.

Plus there's the aesthetic of superhero fantasy, which is a whole other thing.

These are three distinct brands of fantasy (and not the only three by a long shot - space fantasy, steampunk, and other exist as well), but you will find that many people only really enjoy one. You'll also find many people who enjoy several.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I like both anime and D&D, as do most of my D&D-playing friends. I think your assessment is completely off-base. Also, worth noting that since the majority of the Critical Role cast does a lot of voice acting work in anime dubs, there is a tremendous amount of crossover between the two hobbies in their fandom.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
I've noticed that many or most of the people I play D&D with are also into anime, to various extents and in various directions. There's not a perfect overlap--some of the people I play D&D with don't seem to be into anime at all (and I myself am not a lot into anime).

As noted above, there's a lot of crossover between nerdish hobbies/fandoms.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Most people I know into anime also enjoy D&D, although they also tend to be more open to a wider variety of non-trad RPGs. They also tend to like their D&D a bit more on the gonzo side, and seem less attached to standard D&D tropes. Anecdotal, of course, but that's my experience.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
I know several people that are fans of both. I, personally, would definitely fall more into the "D&D fan" more than "anime fan." I would say there is something to your assessment of the aesthetic differences...but it is far from complete. I think there is no reason to think D&D fans don't like or want things that are "brighter" or "comic-esque," which both sound remarkably subjective. Undoubtedly, people have preferences and there are, no doubt, some people that are all about one or the other.

But I don't think it is as clear a dichotomy as you are suggesting. The same could be said about "D&D and sports." Or "Anime and camping." Basically, anything vs. anything.

Anime, as an aesthetic, is a very specific visual formulaeic thing. D&D does not really have "an aesthetic." It can be colored in any number of, I would propose even "ANY," visually aesthetic way.

I think it is more accurate to present something like "All D&D can incorporate an anime aesthetic. But not all anime can incorporate a D&D aesthetic."

Why not both? Some times I wonder about a new setting based in the different Easter Asian cultures as a hook for otaku fandom, for example with kemonono ("animal ears), humanoids with some animal traits. When I see Chinese CGI animation based in wuxia stories I wonder how would be a D&D version of donghuan (Chinese animation).

But I have seen there may be potential troubles because the relations between China, Japan and South Korean aren't very good, worse than the old rivalities among the European powers. It is dangerous if fantas creatures, for example Japanese oni (ogre mages) or Chinese Jian-shi (jumping vampires) are used as xenophobic analogies.

I loved "Tome of Batle: Book of Nine Swords", and I guess the return of Kara-Tur would be fabulous for the martial adept classes.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases