• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E D&D Without Adding House-Rules/Home-brew

Would you play a 1-10+ Level 5E D&D in a game without added house-rules/home-brew?

• YES

Votes: 85 72.0%
  • NO

Votes: 33 28.0%

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
The "24-hour" Adventuring Day is a ridiculous concept. It means in less than 34 (in yellow below) days of "adventuring" your PC will go from 1st level to 20th level.

1662831033153.png

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
The "24-hour" Adventuring Day is a ridiculous concept. It means in less than 34 (in yellow below) days of "adventuring" your PC will go from 1st level to 20th level.

View attachment 261059
Yes and no. Adventuring Day =/= days adventuring. It could take you a month days adventuring(travel) to reach the Lost Tomb of Tarmac and do one Adventuring day. Then you might have a year of downtime before assassins try to kill the local lord and you have your second Adventuring Day, during which time there are 43 days of adventuring and trying to find out who did it before going to their lair. And so on.

If you had them all consecutively, you'd go from 1-20 in a little over a month, but I've never seen the game played that way.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
In 13th age the adventuring day isn't even 24 hours.... :-/
When I was age 13, my adventuring days were about 12 hours. I slept a LOT!

But seriously, I know nothing about that game. Is that because you're supposed to have lots of encounters in a short period of time, or a planetary day is less than 24 hours?

Last edited:

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Like others above, I would play in such a game (though I would feel constrained), but I would never run one. I find D&D demonstrably less fun without house rules and 3PP, which means while it is probably still fun to play, it wouldn't be worth the effort to run.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
When I was age 13, my adventuring days will about 12 hours. I slept a LOT!

But seriously, I know nothing about that game. Is that because you're supposed to have lots of encounters in a short period of time, or a planetary day is less than 24 hours?
3.5 with a spalsh of 4e? (Rob Heinsoo and Jonathan Tweet were two of the main people on it). I need to be in the right mood for the recovery system to not grate on me.

1662832241636.png

1662832432341.png

the Jester

Legend
3.5 with a spalsh of 4e? (Rob Heinsoo and Jonathan Tweet were two of the main people on it). I need to be in the right mood for the recovery system to not grate on me.

View attachment 261061
View attachment 261063
Goodness, that is so far removed from what I want from my rpgs that I can't imagine playing in a game that used it, much less running one that way. I get that it's perfect for some folks, but for me- No thank you.

Remove ads