• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E D&D Without Adding House-Rules/Home-brew

Would you play a 1-10+ Level 5E D&D in a game without added house-rules/home-brew?

• YES

Votes: 85 72.0%
  • NO

Votes: 33 28.0%

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Goodness, that is so far removed from what I want from my rpgs that I can't imagine playing in a game that used it, much less running one that way. I get that it's perfect for some folks, but for me- No thank you.
Most of the time playing in it can be a lot like a less crunchy 3.5 with some more gamey (?) things thrown in. But then you get the two month boat ride between fights two and three...

Not my first choice, but I'll play if a friend needs some more folks to make it run.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
I voted "no," but that's mostly because I've never seen it done and doubt it's possible.

For example, any character race listed after the Halfling entry in the PHB is explicitly called out as optional - something I've seen few groups acknowledge. In situations where multiple rule options are presented in the books, picking one to use is by definition a houserule.

Yaarel

He Mage
As I believe it should be. I hate reflavoring and avoid it whenever I can.
In a way, I agree with you. Whenever reflavoring happens, I require the mechanics to be completely rewritten with the new flavor. For example, rewrite a spell with a variant name. Then I use the new flavor when adjudicating narratively. The verbiage of the new flavor matters.

Yaarel

He Mage
The "24-hour" Adventuring Day is a ridiculous concept. It means in less than 34 (in yellow below) days of "adventuring" your PC will go from 1st level to 20th level.

View attachment 261059
Also @Maxperson

That is one of the reasons I count the number of encounters per level, instead of xp or milestones. The sweet spot of levels 5 to 8 have about 15 (roughly 13 to 17) encounters to reach each next level. Other levels have less. (Tiers 13-16 and 17-20 have about 9, roughly 8 to 10 encounters). Modify to taste.

In other words, during the sweet spot, if one expects a consecutive 6 to 8 encounters per day, then the next level will happen within 3 days, often 2 days.

In other words, there will be about 3 or 2 long rests per level. For other levels it will be 2 days. (1 long rest can happen during the lowest tier.)

In this math, it is safe to assume every character has only 2 long rests per level (or 3 depending on DM taste). Anything else is short rests. It is also possible to allow a player to "spend" one of these two long rests whenever they want, by converting any rest, whether a lunch break or a sleep, into a "deep" rest equivalent to a mechanical long rest. But the long rest benefit can only happen twice per level.

There are many benefits for counting encounters per level instead of xp. First, the encounters can be nonlethal combat, social, or exploratory − any kind of genuinely challenging encounter that the DM presents to the players. Second, the DM can get off the clock. Sometimes, the leveling does happen from extremely urgent situations where are multiple deadly encounters in a single day. Other times, each encounter might be days or even years apart. By counting whenever these encounters naturally happen, the DM can focus on what makes sense during the story, rather than the pressure of what the mechanics require. By counting 2 (or 3) long rests per level, the math stays solid.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
For example, any character race listed after the Halfling entry in the PHB is explicitly called out as optional - something I've seen few groups acknowledge
[Citation needed]

There's nothing in the PHB about that I have ever seen, nor in the DMG. They are often referred to as less widespread and not as common, but that's it.

In situations where multiple rule options are presented in the books, picking one to use is by definition a houserule.
No, they are not house-rules, they are variant options presented by the game designers for use in the game. Any group could be expected to use them and they would not be a shock to a new player joining as they are part of the established, designed rules of the game.

Regardless, as per the OP:
You CANNOT ADD or ALTER content, however VARIANT OPTIONS in the PHB and DMG ARE ALLOWED.

Last edited:

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
But forcing the players to use point buy is a house rule.
I would disagree. The DM sets the parameters for the game (not the players) and the variant option for point-buy is part of the game.

After all, forcing players to use the Variant Encumbrance option would not be a house-rule, either.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I would disagree. The DM sets the parameters for the game (not the players) and the variant option for point-buy is part of the game.

After all, forcing players to use the Variant Encumbrance option would not be a house-rule, either.

I was surprised reading it.

The default is using rolls with the player being able to decide to use the default array.

1662916393217.png

The variant rule at the DMs option is using point buy. This seems similar to the encumbrance option:

1662916433551.png

At no point is the standard array forced by the DM mentioned as being a thing though.

(Pedantically, the way it says "you can" for the point buy, does RAW always want rolling to be available to the players?)

Remove ads