D&D 5E D&D Without Adding House-Rules/Home-brew

Would you play a 1-10+ Level 5E D&D in a game without added house-rules/home-brew?

• YES

Votes: 85 72.0%
  • NO

Votes: 33 28.0%

I was surprised reading it.

The default is using rolls with the player being able to decide to use the default array.

View attachment 261119

The variant rule at the DMs option is using point buy. This seems similar to the encumbrance option:

View attachment 261120

At no point is the standard array forced by the DM mentioned as being a thing though.

(Pedantically, the way it says "you can" for the point buy, does RAW always want rolling to be available to the players?)
As a lawyer hired by the players, I would say that : « you can use this variant » is an option, a possibility, and not a restraint or an order. so my client can still roll stats!

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
As a lawyer hired by the players, I would say that : « you can use this variant » is an option, a possibility, and not a restraint or an order. so my client can still roll stats!
Not if the DM chooses to remove it as an option, and removing content is the DM's prerogative. ;)

So, you cannot roll (it is removed) and you cannot use standard array (also removed), your only option as a player is to use point-buy. :D

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Not if the DM chooses to remove it as an option, and removing content is the DM's prerogative. ;)

So, you cannot roll (it is removed) and you cannot use standard array (also removed), your only option as a player is to use point-buy. :D

Can we remove entire abilities? (Like Int or Chr as long as we take out all the skills and things that go with them?)

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Can we remove entire abilities? (Like Int or Chr as long as we take out all the skills and things that go with them?)
Not really because more than skills rely on them. Saving throws, etc. If the DM decided to remove saves and other content associated with INT or CHA, sure. But you can't add anything or make-up rules to reflect those removals so I don't see how you can do it without removing much of the game.

The DM deciding which option (default or variant) will be used in the game is a different issue, however.

However, you can remove skills easily since an option in the DMG (which I currently do BTW) is to do Ability Proficiency instead of Skill Proficiency.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Which is a house rule. Proof done.
No, it isn't. The rule is already there, it isn't something the DM made up or got from a source other than the game designers.

A house-rule is something the game already doesn't have. The DM choosing which rule or system they use when options are offered is not a house-rule.

Change your vote if you want to, but I'm done arguing this with you.

No, it isn't. The rule is already there, it isn't something the DM made up or got from a source other than the game designers.

A house-rule is something the game already doesn't have. The DM choosing which rule or system they use when options are offered is not a house-rule.

Change your vote if you want to, but I'm done arguing this with you.
I’m done too.

I understand the pit I fall into, the Thread title and then the stated conditions of the poll That clearly state CAN REMOVE content.
indeed you can remove a choice, remove the choice of rolling stats, or cast a given spells, or any other players options, and that can be considered not house ruling for the Thread.

is there a strict definition of house rule for DnD?

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
House rules are unofficial modifications to official game rules adopted by individual groups of players. House rules may include the removal or alteration of existing rules, or the addition of new rules. Such modifications are common in board games such as Monopoly and role-playing games such as Dungeons & Dragons.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Now that having been said, any time in the past I've used an official variant rule, it's added to my list of house rules. My deciding to use something like a "feat Rogue" or "Air Goblin" in 3.5 may be official content, but that doesn't give it any extra degree of legitimacy (to continue the 3.5 Unearthed Arcana analogy, there was the "Armor as DR" variant, that basically wasn't very well thought out at all).

It's simply a suggestion for a rule your table can adopt, and that's all. There's no guarantee it was play-tested with any rigor, or that you can just start using it without issue.

Remove ads