• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&DI Character Builder Beta

Nytmare

David Jose
They've changed the format of their power cards. It's now 9 to a sheet, standard orientation. There's a "Player Data" card, basically a character sheet, an "Action Point" and "Second Wind" card, and cards for magic equipment.

They don't have a card for skills, basic attacks, basic defenses, mundane equipment or feats however. I'm playing around with modifying the character sheet output.

Orcus Porkus

First Post
It looks very good and accurate. I only found a few very minor things so far.
Ridiculous stuff like the ranger sample character not featuring twin strike :)
Other than that, I'm happy - I'll go ahead and optimize my party's 3rd level characters.

mearlus

Explorer
I didn't have any problems installing it in XP. The .NET framework sat there for a good 15 minutes though, unsure if it was downloading slow or what (it said it was a download). If it is downloading it Wizards should have % downloaded indicator in order to inform users that it is actually doing something and not hung up.

Once installed it told me to reboot and I have not had any problems with the builder.

Seems like a pretty straight forward interface and easy to sail along building a character. Only oddity I noticed had to do with the panel sizes in the Character sheet viewer and that text went beyond its length and got cut off without the ability to expand the panel (when there is room and it is unlocked).

Seems like a fairly good beta IMO.

Rafe

First Post
Only real issue I've reported to WotC re: the Character Builder is to open up ability score generation and have a "free form" method. If you pump a score up past the point buy allotment, it should be flagged as "houseruled" but allowed. A lot of people use alternate stat generation methods and, without the right abilities slotted in the builder, nothing else comes out right. It's a fundamental flaw of the entire system that the ability score generator(s) not be as flexible as possible.

The fact is that people won't just use it to GENERATE a character but will use it as a character sheet (i.e., character already exists).

James McMurray

First Post
Only real issue I've reported to WotC re: the Character Builder is to open up ability score generation and have a "free form" method. If you pump a score up past the point buy allotment, it should be flagged as "houseruled" but allowed. A lot of people use alternate stat generation methods and, without the right abilities slotted in the builder, nothing else comes out right. It's a fundamental flaw of the entire system that the ability score generator(s) not be as flexible as possible.

The fact is that people won't just use it to GENERATE a character but will use it as a character sheet (i.e., character already exists).

Is there no house rule button on the page?

spunky_mutters

First Post
You can type in over the ability scores listed. Don't use the +/- buttons, just type a score into the square boxes to the right of those. It let me put in arbitrarily high values, but I didn't test up too high (but it let me give a dwarf 40 Dex)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads