D&D 5E D&D's best on screen class depictions, as per ENWorld

Sacrosanct

Legend
The polls were about the on screen depictions of said characters. One of the poll options was Paul Bettany's character, Geoffrey Chaucer, from Knight's tale as a depiction of the bard. Not the real person. But the character from that movie with that name.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Hey, if we're doing real people that are in movies, then there are all sorts of choices.

Best Paladin? How about Richard Nixon, in Dick?
Or Jim Morrison in the Doors for Bard? No, want more fantasy? Genghis Khan is in a lot of movies .... as is innumerable historical figures from the medieval and Renaissance.

Sorry, but this is like one of those Sesame Street skits ... One of these things is not like the others ....

(looks around at current events)

Yes, once the majority of people do something, it must be right. Because there is nothing more likely to be right than the people ... having spoken. ¯\(ツ)

The polls started almost 2 weeks ago, and the scope and criteria was laid out in each (which would answer your question posed here). If you had such a problem, you could have voiced it then. People voted. I don't agree with the winners, but I'm just reporting what most people thought were the best choices.

I was hoping we'd see all the winners of the polls laid out together.

I'd posit that the Geoffrey Chaucer of the movie is so fictionalized as to be his own thing.

It's interesting how some of the examples of each class have and have not changed over the years. I imagine in any decade, you'd find Conan, Merlin, Aragorn, Bilbo, Robin Hood, Van Helsing, Lancelot, Gimli, and Boromir.

Sacrosanct

Legend
I was hoping we'd see all the winners of the polls laid out together.

I'd posit that the Geoffrey Chaucer of the movie is so fictionalized as to be his own thing.

It's interesting how some of the examples of each class have and have not changed over the years. I imagine in any decade, you'd find Conan, Merlin, Aragorn, Bilbo, Robin Hood, Van Helsing, Lancelot, Gimli, and Boromir.

You're welcome. It's because I'm such a giver ;) (apparently not a speller though...)

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Sorry, but this is like one of those Sesame Street skits ... One of these things is not like the others ....

(looks around at current events)

Yes, once the majority of people do something, it must be right. Because there is nothing more likely to be right than the people ... having spoken. ¯\(ツ)

Gee, for a "best onscreen depiction", I'd think that a poll would be perfectly reasonable. Comparing to current events and making the obvious political inference... talk about "One of these things is not like the other".

I think it's time to get a grip.

Maestrino

Explorer
If you've watched A Knight's Tale, that character could have been named anything. They called him Chaucer for a laugh. Regardless, that particular character is a spot-on representation of a D&D bard, including both bardic inspiration and vicious mockery...

Remove ads