• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC "D&D's Best Year Yet"

Parmandur

Book-Friend
So assuming it’s actual figures, that is still an amazing figure (age 40+ Players only 11% of the market), and really a reassuring one for people like me who only 10 years ago were worried that the RPG hobby was doomed once all the GenXers died. We’re barely a friggin’ blip, and people used to wonder why it felt like they weren’t being listened to in what kinds of products were being offered. When you’re one person out of ten, it’s no wonder! 😁

Well, it's not nothing: but WotC product lineup does tend to make more sense if you consider their actual effective primary audience to be grade schoolers, Highschoolers, and college students.

So assuming it’s actual figures, that is still an amazing figure (age 40+ Players only 11% of the market), and really a reassuring one for people like me who only 10 years ago were worried that the RPG hobby was doomed once all the GenXers died.

Here's to not being model trains yet! 🍻

Several people in my D&D group have kids and I know they are all for-real raising them to play, especially last time we were over at one of their houses, the eight-year-old was hovering and watching intently, then making rolls, very solemn and very excited about what was going on. Playing with my brother, he's in Australia but we do VTT (he gets on at like 6am (ouch!), we all do at 9pm), his kids are always fascinated by what's going on. Hell, I was taught by (very distant) family member aged 10. So maybe we can keep it going even longer, eh? Until the DM is an AI and we're neural-jacked-in.

The AI will probably still railroad us and be cheap with the loot, of course...

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Here's to not being model trains yet! 🍻

Several people in my D&D group have kids and I know they are all for-real raising them to play, especially last time we were over at one of their houses, the eight-year-old was hovering and watching intently, then making rolls, very solemn and very excited about what was going on. Playing with my brother, he's in Australia but we do VTT (he gets on at like 6am (ouch!), we all do at 9pm), his kids are always fascinated by what's going on. Hell, I was taught by (very distant) family member aged 10. So maybe we can keep it going even longer, eh? Until the DM is an AI and we're neural-jacked-in.

The AI will probably still railroad us and be cheap with the loot, of course...

Yeah, there's going to be a hefty familial Venn diagram overlap between the 40+ crowd and the 8-12 crowd. When I turn 40, that lower bracket is where my kids will be, and they are already all-in for Owlbear and Dragon merch, and the Young Adventurer reference books...

dave2008

Legend
Yeah, there's going to be a hefty familial Venn diagram overlap between the 40+ crowd and the 8-12 crowd. When I turn 40, that lower bracket is where my kids will be, and they are already all-in for Owlbear and Dragon merch, and the Young Adventurer reference books...
I was in my late 30's when I started my sons (6-8 at the time) and their friends on D&D 4e. It was really great to pass it on to the next generation. I'm sure you will have a great time.

Remove ads