• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General D&D's Utter Dominance Is Good or Bad Because...

Thomas Shey

Legend
There have always been and will always be issues with scheduling and finding people for group activities. It simply doesn't have anything to do with D&D being the most popular game or not.

I've made my point. If you want to keep harping about the latter part, that's your choice.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
There have always been and will always be issues with scheduling and finding people for group activities. It simply doesn't have anything to do with D&D being the most popular game or not.
What absolute bullocks. If you are trying to put together a not D&D 5E game, thhe overwhelming popularity of 5E D&D absolutely affects your outcome. It is so obviously true that suggesting otherwise is either denial or disingenuous.

Aldarc

Legend
If some other TTRPG was utterly dominant in the market and hobby as D&D 5E is now, would it be bad that it wasn't some iteration of D&D? How would that impact those who enjoy playing D&D as their first or only choice in TTRPGs?

Hussar

Legend
If some other TTRPG was utterly dominant in the market and hobby as D&D 5E is now, would it be bad that it wasn't some iteration of D&D? How would that impact those who enjoy playing D&D as their first or only choice in TTRPGs?
Really, it would probably be a mixed bag.

If another system was utterly dominant, then D&D would likely be a reaction to that game. Either mechanics would be in line with the dominant game (if leaning in one direction or another) or it would be deliberately different from that game.

Whether that's a good thing or not is hard to decide.

Oofta

Legend
What absolute bullocks. If you are trying to put together a not D&D 5E game, thhe overwhelming popularity of 5E D&D absolutely affects your outcome. It is so obviously true that suggesting otherwise is either denial or disingenuous.

How? If you have 5 tables of X in your area, you still have 5 tables of X whether you have 0 tables of D&D or 100. The math, the odds of one of those 5 tables of X [having an opening], doesn't change.

If you're assuming there are more than 5 tables of X if there are 0 tables of D&D then it's an entirely different premise.

Last edited:

Oofta

Legend
Who knows? There would likely be a thread just like this one that would be about the utter dominance of that game. I can tell you what I personally would not be doing if I didn't enjoy the hypothetical game. I wouldn't be coming to a thread dedicated to that game and complaining about how popular that game is.

If it was some style of game that I didn't enjoy I may not be playing TTRPGs. Perhaps I'd be joining a board game group instead.

Aldarc

Legend
Who knows? There would likely be a thread just like this one that would be about the utter dominance of that game. I can tell you what I personally would not be doing if I didn't enjoy the hypothetical game. I wouldn't be coming to a thread dedicated to that game and complaining about how popular that game is.

If it was some style of game that I didn't enjoy I may not be playing TTRPGs. Perhaps I'd be joining a board game group instead.
If you say so... :rolleyes:

Remove ads