D20 Apocalypse Designers - Q&A Here

Andur

First Post
Worked at Pantex, and they only "do" one thing there, finally assembly of certain types of weapons which would require the need of said badges... Also almost got hired as a sales rep to the nuclear plant industry, but got a better offer elsewhere after college. Still get yearly physicals withbadge inhand by ol' Uncle Sam to this day though.

BTW, the "Creep" is in DWII correct? (Have not perused the DW series as it was d20 and not d20 Modern based has this changed in DWII?)

Henry, good point on the asking for doubles but ending up single ;) barter explanation, didn't think of it that way. As far as the explanation of the Craft (Chemical and Pharm) I'll leave that to someone who can explain better on why the change was made and what can and can't be done with the skills if anything...

Henry

Autoexreginated
Andur said:
Henry, good point on the asking for doubles but ending up single ;) barter explanation, didn't think of it that way.

Leo Frankowski explained it to me that way (via his Conrad Stargard novels) as how early capitalism worked in eastern Europe in the Late Middle Ages, and it made sense to me. :)

Emiricol

Andur said:
BTW, the "Creep" is in DWII correct? (Have not perused the DW series as it was d20 and not d20 Modern based has this changed in DWII?)

"Creep" is Redline, in the HOrizon line from FFG I think. DW2 (the D20Modern version) is imho well worth checking out. In DW2, there is radiation and contamination, treated separately. And, while radiation is also incident-based (rather than cumulative), it is otherwise pretty well done, and it does *list* the rads. Houseruling a Tw2K-style Rads rule would be simple.

Dark Psion

First Post
spidertrag said:
What can u tell me about the lobster aliens & why were lobsters chosen? (not 'doggen' them, just curious :) )

Any other critters in the book?

Yes, we finally have d20 statistics for a Donkey!!!

It's right there between the MG-8 Meatgrinder combat robot and the Four Horseman of the Apocalypse. :p

The Viral Deathspawn is an Undead Template to create an army of infectious zombies.

Emiricol

Dark Psion said:
Yes, we finally have d20 statistics for a Donkey!!!

It's right there between the MG-8 Meatgrinder combat robot and the Four Horseman of the Apocalypse. :p

The Viral Deathspawn is an Undead Template to create an army of infectious zombies.

Riddle me this: what are the stats of a Viral Deathspawn donkey?

buzz

Adventurer
DMH said:
You really can't compare a 96 page book to 6 books with about 900 pages.
I could. The former is worth the money, has great writing, and great art. The latter has none of these qualities. IMO.

Kanegrudar's assessment is spot on. d20A is one of the best WotC d20M books released in recent memory.

Emiricol

DMH said:
So you are saying that none of the GW books has any worth?

Personally found them very disappointing as a whole. I felt the $40 I paid for the whole series (a year ago maybe? Not sure) was about $30 too much for those 100s of pages. I ended up giving them away - and had to work at it to get someone to take them. He took them because he thought he might be able to trade them to a GW collector he new who had not yet picked up the D20 set, in exchange for a module.

As with almost any product out there, no matter how bad there were a few things that could be looted - for ideas if nothing else.

buzz

Adventurer
DMH said:
So you are saying that none of the GW books has any worth?
I am admittedly a Grumpy Old Fart™ when it comes to GWd20. But, no I don't think that any of the books is really worth the investment. $170 (retail) may sound reasonable for 876pp of material, but, IMO, said page count is very padded and of questionable quality. Just about every other post-apoc d20 product I've seen does a better job in much less page count and for less money. E.g., d20A's 96pp manages to fit in a more detailed (and mechanically sound) mutation system than GWd20 does.

Thankfully, for those interested in GWd20, the products can be found in PDF form for less, and print products are often in the discount bins. WW's online store is currently selling the first four books at more than 50% off.

Anyway, sorry to derail the thread. I really need to just stop reading posts that mention GWd20. :\

Thomas5251212

First Post
Emiricol said:
"Creep" is Redline, in the HOrizon line from FFG I think. DW2 (the D20Modern version) is imho well worth checking out. In DW2, there is radiation and contamination, treated separately. And, while radiation is also incident-based (rather than cumulative), it is otherwise pretty well done, and it does *list* the rads. Houseruling a Tw2K-style Rads rule would be simple.

You know, Emiricol, you and others have pretty much managed to sell me on getting a copy of DW2, despite my irritation with the Water Clans. Just a question of getting the money together and seeing if I actually can find a physical copy anywhere (a .pdf that large is just more than I want to deal with).

Remove ads