d20 DM wants to try Hackmaster and needs Advice

Chronikoce

First Post
I have been playing and DMing for 3.5 D&D and Pathfinder for about 4 years now. I picked up the Hackmaster PHB and the Hacklopedia of Beasts. I really want to run a campaign for my group but they are all relatively new players who have just learned the d20 system.

I could really use some advice for trying to transition people to the Hackmaster system or at the very least how to sell it to them to try and get them excited to play it.

How do you handle movement in combat if a grid is not typically used. I tend to use white boards or chalk boards and draw rough sketches which are updated as combat progresses. Does that sound like a style of combat management that would still work in Hackmaster?

Finally, without the GMG being released (and probably won't be for quite some time) what advice can you give for trying to figure out rules like magic items, poisons, etc that are not in the PHB. Coming from a d20 system I am not sure how good the "common sense" ruling that people suggest will work (I have lots of bad d20 habits to break).

Remove ads