• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E d20 Modern 4E - I want it!

Dark*Matter is a bit of a mish-mash too. Apart from vague references to dark matter itself and a weak tendency to take the "right-of-center" take on any given conspiracy theory (likely for reasons of gameability, possibly unconsciously), it has no "unifying factor" regarding the various wierdnesses of the D*M. This is very unlike, say, Conspiracy X which had detailed, interlinked explanations for everything. It does make D*M harder to "break" by a player having read the GM-oriented material (though iirc, Conspiracy X often used the "one of these three things is true, you pick which" method, which is the perfect defense against that), but I don't think it's a whole giant less of a "mish-mash" than D&D.

I do think a re-written and updated Dark*Matter, especially with all the conspiracy potential afforded by Gulf War 2.0 and Afghanistan and so on would be pretty special. However, another d20 Modern-style cut & paste hackjob would just be sad.

Oh, I wanted to express that is like D&D - a mish-mash of the tropes of the "era" or however we want to call it. That might be why it can work - it has something for everyone and provides a good base-line.

Oh, I wanted to express that is like D&D - a mish-mash of the tropes of the "era" or however we want to call it. That might be why it can work - it has something for everyone and provides a good base-line.

I see. That makes a lot more sense, though I think it would work better with a variety of possible "employers" rather than just the Hoffman Institute.

I see. That makes a lot more sense, though I think it would work better with a variety of possible "employers" rather than just the Hoffman Institute.

Yes, I agree. There should be more "entry" points.

Maybe creating a kind of implied setting that looks similar to Dark*Matter, but isn't specifically it, would work nice.

Reading the Dark*Matter had me already thinking about what I would want to change from the setting. Maybe it's better to just go with some implications instead of "details"?

Of course, there is no guarantee that an implied setting á la 4E can also work for d20 Modern...

Ranger REG

Explorer
Then you're asking for a Greyhawk equivalent of a d20 Modern setting, which is oddly enough an Earth-based setting (not Earth-like or in Star Trek lore, an M-Class Planet).

Nadaka

First Post
Maybe of interest: Abstract Positioning for D&D 4:
http://www.enworld.org/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=4382788

---

I suppose they will only do this if they think it will give them enough money compared to investing it in D&D. That might be the problem in general for d20 Modern. :(

I like that one too.
Dark*Matter seems to be the D&D equivalent of Modern. It includes all the various conspiracy theories, UFO theories, psionic stuff and so on, basically all the "modern" myths, while D&D is a mish-mash of all fantasy and fairy tale concepts.

you do realize that dark*matter is already a d20 modern campaign setting?

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
This is very unlike, say, Conspiracy X which had detailed, interlinked explanations for everything. It does make D*M harder to "break" by a player having read the GM-oriented material (though iirc, Conspiracy X often used the "one of these three things is true, you pick which" method, which is the perfect defense against that)

Conspiracy X sounds like an interesting setting. Where/When is it from?

Cheers

Derro

First Post
Conspiracy X is from Eden Studios, makers of Unisystem (Buffy, AFMBE, Witchcraft).

I have a few supplements that are excellent. Sub Rosa, the collection of conspiracies. Beautiful.

Ranger REG

Explorer
But the question is - will it be a setting in a new edition for d20 Modern?
Why? Is WotC holding a Setting Search Contest for d20 Modern next editon?

Would you rather it be Urban Arcana? Shadow Chasers? Both don't hold a candle next to the established Dark*Matter setting, originally created for Alternity.

Remove ads