• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E d20 Modern 4e

Roudi

First Post
Nope, with Star Wars being a licensed game and all. You know, using material owned by Lucasfilm?

By the way Scott Rouse already confirmed 4th will have an SRD.

Even though I like Modern as it is...I'd love an updated version just to get it going again.

But I highly doubt it'll happen.

Ah well, at least I've got enough to run Modern games for a very long time.

Moon_Goddess

Have I really been on this site for over 20 years!
iwatt said:
Replace Star War for modern in your statement, and you have the same statements that were been bandied around last year about SW RPG.
Modern doesn't have LucasFilm and a big anniversary to come around to ask for a new version.

Vigilance

Explorer
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
Even though I like Modern as it is...I'd love an updated version just to get it going again.

But I highly doubt it'll happen.

Ah well, at least I've got enough to run Modern games for a very long time.

Ahem.

I mean, not official or anything, but it's something :).

Roudi

First Post
Having Vig working on Modern 2.0 means we will have two next-gen systems shortly for our RPGing. Not a bad thing at all, whether you're a fan of modern gaming or not.

Insight

Adventurer
I don't see any reason why a 3rd party publisher couldn't reverse engineer a Modern 4E from the D&D 4E SRD. If WOTC isn't interested in doing their own Modern update, I don't think they would stop someone from publishing a 3rd party version.

And without knowing what changes 4E really has in store, any Modern update needs to take a long and hard look at Spycraft 2.0. There are a lot of cool things in SC that should be part of any modern game.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Roudi said:
Nope, with Star Wars being a licensed game and all. You know, using material owned by Lucasfilm?
I don't think they own the mechanics just the description pertaining to the Star Wars Universe.

After all, WotC did "Opened" up the VP/WP System in the Unearthed Arcana book.

Roudi

First Post
True, but imagine the hassle of having to make sure all PI was protected, all relevant mechanics were declared open, and all mechanics utilizing PI terms and concepts were either reworked into open versions or locked down? All with clear statements to tell publishers what's what?

Not so easy.

Besides, I'd never expect a movie license game to be built upon or to support open-source material. It's kind of like releasing a major motion picture and then making many parts of the movie into public-use stock footage.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads