[D20 Modern]Department 7 (OOC)

VanorDM

Explorer
Hello everyone.

I used to hang out here quite some time ago, and have been a bit bored at work so I thought I'd try my hand and starting a PbP game here. I've not actually run a game like this it will likely be a little rocky at the start.

I was thinking of a D20 Modern game using the Urban Arcana setting, as a base, with the characters most likely being part of covert action team of some some sort.

The characters will most likely be starting out working for Department 7, it would be a small team sponsored by "someone" who is sent out on various missions. Things like stopping dragons, slaying Vampires, or aiding new comers from beyond the Shadow.

Everyone would start at level 1, and with basic equipment, then be able to draw some more stuff from the sponsor. I'm thinking maybe 5-6 people at a start.

I don't have the rulebooks with me right now, and haven't looked at them in some time so I don't remember all the details right now but that all can be worked out before we start.

Player List

Perrinmiller - Kara Acoma
Herobizkit - Rory Shanahan
ThWatcher - Rodny Steinwick
Felix1459 - Nicholas Danger Shelby
Voda Vosa - Ming To

Unknown -
Onlythestrong - Diego Ordonez
Edyrofl -

Last edited:

Voda Vosa

First Post
Count me interested. What time do you think in setting your game? Actual date? 50's? 60'? 70'?
I just don't see a level 1 smart heroe dealing with vampires. =D

VanorDM

Explorer
Actual date most likely maybe even a few 5-10 years in the future. That way I can cook up some new tech if the mood strikes me.

Naturally a lvl 1 smart character can't take on a vamp. :) That's why we'll use Paranoia rules, and everyone gets 6 lives...

Just kidding. :)

The comment about the vampire was more of a intro type thing. The characters will be troubleshooters/agents for Dept 7. Dealing with what ever the Dept feels they can handle.

kinem

Adventurer
d20 modern / fantasy crossover? --> Interested.

"Urban Arcana" setting / elves whose bodies vanish when they are killed? --> No way, I'd never touch that cheese.

VanorDM

Explorer
d20 modern / fantasy crossover? --> Interested.

"Urban Arcana" setting / elves whose bodies vanish when they are killed? --> No way, I'd never touch that cheese.

Well it will be more of a "Dresden Files" type arcana a bit darker and less High Magic then the official Urban Arcana book. But I will be using at least parts of the campaign setting as well.

ThWatcher

First Post
Could be interesting. As we advanced in levels, which of the various advanced classes would/might become available?

In your world, is Department 7 hard-line against the use of any magic? Or do they use magic to get the job done?
I ask because it wouldn't do to start down the path to mage if Department 7 isn't going to allow it. (Unless I was going to go rogue agent on them.)

VanorDM

Explorer
As we advanced in levels, which of the various advanced classes would/might become available?

Most of them I think. I ran a campaign like this once before with some friends and I didn't put much limits on what advanced classes people could take.

In your world, is Department 7 hard-line against the use of any magic?

No, they actually have a group of mages working for them, called Department 5, sorta similar to the White Council from the Dresden Files books, which I'm a huge fan of and will be running this with at least a little bit of that style world.

So yes you are quite welcome to go the path of the mage working with Dept 7, in fact they'll even offer to help train you if you wish it.

Another tidbit about them in my world, is they tend to be very pragmatic, and a bit of a 'end justify the means' type group.

VanorDM

Explorer
Thought I'd fill in a few other campaign/world details here for those who are interested.

Common terms that people in the world use.

Aware/Awakened - These are people who have for one reason or another come to realize that the world around them isn't quite what they thought. These are the people who know that vampires, trolls, and magic are real, not just fairly tails.

Normal (norms) - These are everyone else, people who believe that magic and monsters are just make believe.

There is no magic force like the Shadow that separates the two groups, only humankind's ability to rationalize things. People don't believe what they don't want to believe, and they don't want to believe that monsters exist. Aware people have been for one reason or another forced to believe in them. Typically because of some experience that left no room for doubt or way to rationalize what they saw as something other then magic or monsters.

Critter - This is a generic term used to refer to any non-human being, but typically is only used to refer to non-humans that are somehow harmful. So a pixie isn't called a critter, unless it's the kind that likes to lure people into swamps or something.

DAS - Department of Archeological Study (Department of Arcane Security)

The DAS is the group that Dept 7 is part of. They officially are called the Dept of Archeological Study, but are actually the Arcane Security. They go with the first name because it's simpler when dealing with "norms". The DAS is made up 7 departments each one I'll go over below.

Department 7 - AKA Troubleshooters - This is the group the PC's will belong to, they're called Troubleshooters as a bit of a play on words, Agents in D7 (Dept 7) are often sent out to find trouble and shoot it. D7 is the field agents who are sent out to investigate reports and either deal with what they find how ever they decided is best.

Department 1 - AKA Black Cloaks - This is the executive branch of the DAS, who run the whole thing. They are called Black Cloaks because no one really knows who the members of D1 actually are. It's rummored even the members of D1 don't know who else is a member. D1 makes the decisions on the 'big picture' direction of the DAS as a whole.

Department 2 - AKA Spin Doctors - D2 is the Public Relations group with in the DAS, they are responsible for coming up with ways of covering up the actions of the troubleshooters. When someone from D7 has to put down a troll, it's often quite noisy. The spin doctors deal with the press and any witnesses to explain what they "really saw". D2 also includes the handlers of the D7 agents.

Department 3 - AKA Paper pushers - D3 is the logistical branch of the DAS, and are the people directly responsible for the day to day operation of the DAS. This is the only group with in the DAS that has 'Norms' working in it, because you don't have to be aware to do the accounting.

Department 4 - AKA Geeks
- D4 is the R&D group with in the DAS. Their main responsibility is to develop methods and devices to deal with the supernatural beings that the D7 agents run into. This means special ammo, armor, or devices to capture. They are also responsible for dealing with magical and other artifacts that a troubleshooter might find out in the field. They would check it out, see how to make it work and decide if it's safe to use or need to be destroyed.

Department 5 - AKA Wizards - D5 is actually made up of wizards and other magic users. They work closely with D4 in dealing with artifacts and with D6 and D7 as magical support when needed.

D5 also serves as the rolling counsel console for all mages with in the DAS. They determine the rules a mage must follow and enforce those rules when needed. D5 also is responsible for training any mages that join the DAS but haven't come into their power yet or need better control over it.

Department 6 - AKA Grunts - D6 is a para-military group comprised of aware soldiers from all branches of the military from almost ever nation. The Grunts are called out to provide heavy fire support for D7 when needed. This is one of the larger groups with in the DAS, comprised of nearly a brigade large they also have access to heavy vehicles as well as aircraft.

ThWatcher

First Post
Is this thread also going to be the 'recruiting' thread or is it just the 'Interest' thread?

I ask so I know whether or not to create and post a potential recruit here.

Remove ads