• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(d20 Modern) - Firearms Sourcebook

Gary N. Mengle

First Post
Having picked up d20 Modern the other day, and liking it aside from the clunky names for the classes, I'm wondering if there's a comprehensive sourcebook on modern firearms that can be used with it without any problems.

I'm aware of the equipment book for Spycraft, though I haven't looked at it. How is it, and are there any others which are better, or more generic, or more comprehensive, or whatever?

I also wouldn't mind seeing some expanded rules for firearms or other modern weapons, though I don't think they're really neccessary.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Gary N. Mengle said:

I'm aware of the equipment book for Spycraft, though I haven't looked at it. How is it, and are there any others which are better, or more generic, or more comprehensive, or whatever?

I also wouldn't mind seeing some expanded rules for firearms or other modern weapons, though I don't think they're really neccessary.
Morgenstern will probably see this by now, but the Modern Arms Guide (or MAG) can be used with d20 Modern but you may have to tweak it, since Spycraft is using the VP/WP health system (with permission from Wizards). Such tweak involves applying the appropriate critical hit damage multiplier and possibly the threat range.

Last edited:

Dragonblade

Adventurer
I have the Modern Arms Guide for Spycraft and I think it would work perfectly with d20 Modern.

You may have to tweak the critical threat range and the error range (or ignore the error range like me). But otherwise it works perfectly.

The damage the guns do is scaled exactly to my tastes with some guns doing slightly more damage than in d20 Modern and others doing about the same or a little less.

For example, the Desert Eagle in d20 Modern does 2d8. In Mod. Arms Guide it does 3d6+1. Personally, having held a real Desert Eagle, since my friend owns one, and having heard his stories of how it just vaporizes whatever it hits, I think the higher damage in MAG is more accurate.

So MAG is my weapon book of choice, though I will check out the Ultramodern firearms guide.

Another thing I like about MAG is alot of guns use different types of dice. For example, one gun might do 2d8 and another 4d4. I think this is an excellent way to add variety and make the guns feel different when your PC has one and you are rolling for damage.

In d20 Modern, ALL the guns do either 2d6 or 2d8. IMO, that is totally boring. All the guns feel the same if you roll the same dice for everything from a Desert Eagle to an M-16.

MAG does an excellent job of making all the guns feel totally unique without making anything overkill or unrealistic.

I heartily recommend it!

Morgenstern

First Post
Quick conversion

The Modern Arms Guide was developed with the vitality dice of superspies in mind (d8, 10, & d12), but it is also somewhat cinematically minded, so the values should give a pretty good 'gritty' factor in d20M if I've followed the HP scales of that game correctly. The part that should line up nicely is that a crit in Spycraft goes straight to Wounds (which are equal to Con), so I believe both games look at damage equal to (or greater than) your Con as a "potentially killing blow" (they just trigger differently). Spycraft doesn't use crit multipliers, but I think that they're all x2 for d20M guns. The threat range (crit range) for the guns in MAG should work fine- they're tied to the real world ballistics and the parallels in d20M seem close enough.

The only real conversion issue I see is where using d20M feats is concerned (I should plug for Spycraft's ranged combat feats here, so let indulge me a moment as a I mention there's a free Spycraft Lite download availble at www.spycraftrpg.com :)). D20M's Skip shot (1 die), Double Tap (3 dice), and Burst Fire (4 dice) all use more or fewer dice. Obviously this won't mesh directly with the MAG's wider range of damage codes, but it should be clear enough that they produce 50%, 150%, and 200% of the normal damage of the weapon when used, so I expect most gamers could do the necessary coversion in their heads :).

Hope this helps,

Last edited:

Ranger REG

Explorer
Re: Quick conversion

Morgenstern said:

The only real conversion issue I see is where using d20M feats is concerned (I should plug for Spycraft's ranged combat feats here, so let indulge me a moment as a I mention there's a free Spycraft Lite download availble at www.spycraftrpg.com :)). D20M's Skip shot (1 die), Double Tap (3 dice), and Burst Fire (4 dice) all use more or fewer dice. Obviously this won't mesh directly with the MAG's wider range of damage codes, but it should be clear enough that they produce 50%, 150%, and 200% of the normal damage of the weapon when used, so I expect most gamers could do the necessary coversion in their heads :).
Personally, when using the aforementioned feats, I just add or subtract a die or two, but leave the "+" value in the weapon damage stat as is. I'll worry about that when I score a successful critical hit.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads