• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D20 Modern: Legalities

mythusmage

Banned
Banned
A general question for one and all. In a modern day fantasy world what standard DnD items do you see as being illegal?

I can see Bucknard's Everfull Purse as being illegal, since use of the item would constitute petty theft or counterfeiting, depending on how it works in a particular world. What other items would be made illegal in a modern day fantasy setting?

Alan

Jarval

Explorer
Good idea for a topic this. I think the most heavily regulated/illegal items would be those wil Charm or similar powers.

I'll dig out my DMG and post a few more ideas in the morning.

Emiricol

EricNoah said:
Hmm, the ability to see into the future even a day would make the stock market quite different.

Daytrading: GONE

Brokerage houses would be rated by how accurate and far-seeing their diviners are :)

I can see a real Gibson-esque setting based on that!

mythusmage

Banned
Banned
Divination in Stock Trading

Such might be considered a form of insider trading. OTOH, the use of prognostication divination largely depends on whether the results are visions of what will be, or what might be. If the latter then news of what may be happening in the market the next day likely will result in great changes in what does happen.News that Such and Such Inc. stock will decline moderately in value in tomorrow's trading could result in a precipitious drop in value as a result of people dumping it, or in a substantial rise in value as people try to take advantage of a perceived bargain.

mythusmage

Banned
Banned
Emiricol said:
Daytrading: GONE

Not necessarily. It all depends on whether the future can be, or cannot be changed. If it can, then the results of a divination can be, and often will be, changed by people's actions. How it changes will depend on how people react to the divination, and predicting that has too many variables for a divination to handle.

Psychotic Dreamer

First Post
I would think invisibility would either be illegal or highly regulated.

If magic was really common I would imagine you'd need a permit to use combat spells. :) Well I imagine most magic would require a permit of some kind, but combat spells would be heavily regulated. Most likely any kind of compulsion spell would be highly illegal.

I also wonder what kind of magical equipment would be used by police. What means would be allowed in court. Heh. Just had a random thought of the show Law and Order set in a high magic world.

I prefer a world where magic is mystical, withheld for the sake of secrecy. You saw what middle age folks managed to do to witches, so imagine what we could do now, with high tech.

I'm not so much a fan of "Illithids in Business Suits," or "Guns that shoot fireballs," or "Polymorphed Draconic Millionaires with rich companies in Hong Kong."

Oh wait, I played in that game, and I loved it. But still, magic was hidden to the average person, so overall the world was still as we're used to it. It was a fun game.

mythusmage

Banned
Banned
I can see many spells being restricted to government or military personnel, or to licensed dweomercrafters. Even then misuse of something like Fireballor Lightning Boltwould earn the perp some serious time.

Use of Charm Personor Friendsby anybody but duly authorized law enforcement personnel could get one a kidnapping charge.

Psychotic Dreamer

First Post
Another thing I thought of would police be required to get a warrent to use scrying?

I would love to see a modern high magic world where things like this are dealt with. I think there was a Gurps one...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads