• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D20 Modern: Legalities

mythusmage

Banned
Banned
The ready availability of Zone of Truthwould certainly have an impact on the legal system.

Picture this situation. The police have coerced a false confession out of a suspect. He is put on the stand. The witness chair is enchanted with a permantent Zone of Truth.The witness can't lie. The confession is shown to be false, and the interrogating officers are in loads of trouble.

At the same time, Zone of Truthwould eliminate any need to ban a suspect testifying against himself, since no-one would be able to falsely testify against themselves.

Psychotic Dreamer

First Post
This is sounding more and more like an interesting idea. I really hope one of the setting suggestions with D20 modern will be like this. Granted I would love to see a detailed setting of this sort.

I'd try myself, but I can't write worth... well my writing skills are poor. ;)

zouron

First Post
heh one spell that would be ohh so! outlaw would be magic missile... I mean, can you find a better assassination spell at such low power hehe, unlike death spell and other instant kills this one does just about enough damage at fairly low levels to take out a person and everyone that can case grease or other simple stuff can learn it!

Psychotic Dreamer

First Post
Well the reason I am interested in seeing a game where magic exists and is documented with laws and such is because of a series of novels that I love. They're the Anita Blake: Vampire Hunter novels by Laurrell K. Hamilton. They are basically a modern wolrd where magic is real, Vampires are legal citizens and other strangness. It's all done in a very believable way. It would by far not fit into the D&D magic system at all. I would just love to see something like that done with a standard D&D system.

Margaiaman

First Post
Shadow Run

The Shadow Run setting deals with this issue as well. So if d20 Modern doesn't cover the legality of certain spells and magic items I would suggest looking into SR's methods.

Magic is regulated, especially mind reading/controling and combat spells. The law enforcement agencies have their own spell casters. (If the paperwork for each bullet is bad imagine the paper work required after casting 'Fireball'!)

Not everything from SR will work in all settings but its great to pull ideas from for sure.

Blacksad

Explorer
Psychotic Dreamer said:
Another thing I thought of would police be required to get a warrent to use scrying?

I would love to see a modern high magic world where things like this are dealt with. I think there was a Gurps one...

GURPS Technomancer

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
Psychotic Dreamer said:
Well the reason I am interested in seeing a game where magic exists and is documented with laws and such is because of a series of novels that I love. They're the Anita Blake: Vampire Hunter novels by Laurrell K. Hamilton. They are basically a modern wolrd where magic is real, Vampires are legal citizens and other strangness. It's all done in a very believable way. It would by far not fit into the D&D magic system at all. I would just love to see something like that done with a standard D&D system.

I did'nt know that series... Now I've been looking arround in the 'net and I've finished ordering the first two books.

EVIL ENWorld, I've spent too many $$$ thanks to ENBoard's members! (and I've never regretted it :) )
:D

Falanor

First Post
Zone of Truth and the Legal system.

"The ready availability of Zone of Truthwould certainly have an impact on the legal system.

Picture this situation. The police have coerced a false confession out of a suspect. He is put on the stand. The witness chair is enchanted with a permantent Zone of Truth.The witness can't lie. The confession is shown to be false, and the interrogating officers are in loads of trouble.

At the same time, Zone of Truthwould eliminate any need to ban a suspect testifying against himself, since no-one would be able to falsely testify against themselves." -- mythusmage

Not really. Under Zone of Truth they don't have to answer your questions, they could just stay silent, or basically plead the 5th.

mythusmage

Banned
Banned
In a world where magic worked certain things would be different. With the ability to prove a confession false (if it is) the right to not incriminate yourself would not exist.

BTW, there are ways to force testimony on the stand.

Hell, I can see police departments using Zone of Truth themselves when questioning suspects. Dispell any magical protections against the ZoT before placing them in the interrogation chair, and whatever they say on the subject has to be the truth. Would practically eliminate false confessions in all but the most corrupt of municipalities.

If they don't use ZoT, they aint honest cops.

Alan

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads