• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

d20 Modern: What Would you change part II

Mokona

First Post
Vigilance said:
Another part of the temptation is, as a designer, I want to show that these rules can do ANYTHING.

But that doesn't necessarily mean it's the right call...
You present a very interesting question. Should Future20 be a supplement to Modern20 like the Eberron Campaign Setting is an expansion to Dungeons & Dragons?

Or,

Is future, science fiction roleplay gaming better served by its own rules? In this case Future v.2.0 would be its own core rules related to Modern20 in the same fashion that D20 Modern is related to Dungeons & Dragons.

Material can be ported between D20 Modern and D&D but they're not perfectly balanced for that situation. This enables each (fantasy vs. modern) to do their home setting best and perhaps work for each other's setting for enterprising Dungeon Masters. D20 Future and D20 Modern use the same base so they claim to be perfectly compatible but perhaps it is a fiction that one system can perfectly span both ends of the "Modern-Far Future" spectrum.

Technically we have three systems right now: fantasy D&D, present day Modern20 (or D20 Modern), and science fiction Star Wars Saga Edition.

This question would make a good poll topic. :eek:

Urizen

First Post
Mokona said:
You present a very interesting question. Should Future20 be a supplement to Modern20 like the Eberron Campaign Setting is an expansion to Dungeons & Dragons?

Or,

Is future, science fiction roleplay gaming better served by its own rules? In this case Future v.2.0 would be its own core rules related to Modern20 in the same fashion that D20 Modern is related to Dungeons & Dragons.

Material can be ported between D20 Modern and D&D but they're not perfectly balanced for that situation. This enables each (fantasy vs. modern) to do their home setting best and perhaps work for each other's setting for enterprising Dungeon Masters. D20 Future and D20 Modern use the same base so they claim to be perfectly compatible but perhaps it is a fiction that one system can perfectly span both ends of the "Modern-Far Future" spectrum.

Technically we have three systems right now: fantasy D&D, present day Modern20 (or D20 Modern), and science fiction Star Wars Saga Edition.

This question would make a good poll topic. :eek:

Personally, I think the best way to go about this is to first decide_what_content should be covered in a Future20 book.

For instance, should combat change in some way?

Should skills be expanded?

How about occupations and backgrounds, what is needed there?

Are you looking for weapons, new vehicles, new races?

Would the existing core classes need expansion?

Should there be a setting with it?

If the_core_system is solid (and I personally think it is), then a future book, wouldn't be much more than a setting/genre-specific supplement rather than a core book.

jezter6

Explorer
I picked this up today while at work. Only gave it a side glance, but from all the other adaptations of adding some of True20ism into Modern20, I was really hoping for a quality damage save mechanic instead of hit points. I'm kinda bummed about that, but hopefully more reading will pick me back up later tonight.

Let the house ruling begin!!!

elrics

Explorer
jezter6 said:
I was really hoping for a quality damage save mechanic...
You're in luck! Check out the Hit Location and Injury rules on pp. 81-82...just as fast as True20's damage save mechanic, but far less abstract.

jezter6 said:
...instead of hit points.
With Modern20, it's not "instead of," it's "in addition to." Best of both worlds!

Vigilance

Explorer
jezter6 said:
I picked this up today while at work. Only gave it a side glance, but from all the other adaptations of adding some of True20ism into Modern20, I was really hoping for a quality damage save mechanic instead of hit points. I'm kinda bummed about that, but hopefully more reading will pick me back up later tonight.

Let the house ruling begin!!!

What can I say, I like hit points.

I did add some things that I think make combat more dynamic and make it feel different than D&D combat (which was one of my big goals).

I think hit locations, called shots, injuries and recovery saves all add up to some nice dynamic combats.

Salcor

First Post
From what I have read of the rules so far I like. I am especially looking forward to the Magic20 and Vehicle20 books. One of the things I have always pondered is how magic and psionics differ, and I like the way you are describing magic. That leaves a lot of the mental 'schools' open to psionics.

Now talking about Future20, I think that basic modern mechanics work well for a future setting as best we all know it. I do think that there needs to be a little more devision of technology and the 'kinds' of science fiction that you are playing in. At one point in the past here there was a discussion about different types of technology areas, and the different things that characters can do in each of those areas. For example, when you look at Alternity it broke out different types of 'technology' and the different items and actions that are available at different PLs with that technology. (I can't think of any examples off the top of my head.)

I would also love to see a developed Modern20 campaign setting, something that you can sink your teeth into. I know it is difficult to do since people like different modern adventures. Perhaps your idea for 'mini-campaign' might be better. I guess I am looking for a central setting that people can write adventures for. The hunter setting sounds like a great place to start.

Well this is my 2 cents.

Salcor

Vigilance

Explorer
Thanks Salcor!

Just a heads up for those who don't read my blog or check the RPGObjects site obsessively:

1. We updated Modern20 to version 1.1 today, incorporating some tweaks from early feedback. You can download the updated version for free from RPGObjects.com or from RPGNow.

2. There's a character sheet for Modern20 up here.

Chuck

Last edited:

jezter6

Explorer
elrics said:
You're in luck! Check out the Hit Location and Injury rules on pp. 81-82...just as fast as True20's damage save mechanic, but far less abstract.

With Modern20, it's not "instead of," it's "in addition to." Best of both worlds!

We'll have to see I guess. I'm not sure a hit location table is just as fast, but I do need to give it a much more thorough readthrough.

Urizen

First Post
jezter6 said:
We'll have to see I guess. I'm not sure a hit location table is just as fast, but I do need to give it a much more thorough readthrough.

Vehicles20 will have combat be more in line with the true20 combat system, with some changes of course. There will also be a Hit location table.

One thing about Hit location tables. You only need them if you are making called shots. When you do, the DC's and effects applied to each location are already provided for you to help things run faster.

Remove ads