• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[d20 Modern]X-Files + James Ellroy = ?

Committed Hero

Adventurer
I'm looking to start a game set in the 1950s, with two players running FBI agents out of the Washington field office. The backstory of the game world is a synthesis of the X-Files and Delta Green, and the scenarios would involve paranormal-themed investigations. This boils down to a lot of weirdness interrupted by brief bursts of gunplay.

Characters should be third level with 32 points to purchase abilities. The only change from the straight d20 Modern rules is that "Computer Use" is really "Electronics Use" and would cover things like radios. Don't worry about equipment.

Starman

Adventurer
Count me very interested. This sounds like a lot of fun. I know Widowmaker expressed interest, so I'm sure he'll post here shortly, too.

I'll start working on a character. One question, did the FBI require a college degree back in the 50s?

Committed Hero

Adventurer
Starman said:
Count me very interested. This sounds like a lot of fun. I know Widowmaker expressed interest, so I'm sure he'll post here shortly, too.

I'll start working on a character. One question, did the FBI require a college degree back in the 50s?
I don't, but without it he probably would have some sort of army or law enforcement background.

Widowmaker

First Post
As Starman said I am very intrested in the game as well. I am working on a character concept and history as we speak.

I am intially thinking of a cop that has 2-3 years experience and then transferred to the FBI.

Can you give a little more information on the setting. (Exact year, do we know about the assignment, what do we know about strange occurances, ...)

Lukeworm

First Post
Is the game limited to only two players? if not then I'm intereted.
The character concept that jump into my mind right now is of an ocult/paranormal reasercher assigned to the FBI, or perhaps just assisting the agents in the field when they encounter wierd cases.

Committed Hero

Adventurer
The game will start in January 1953. PCs will operate out of the Washington field office (unless LA sounds cooler to everyone).

They can have had an encounter with the paranormal before. Just no complete sceptics, since they will be proven completely wrong. If you are familiar with the popular lore surrounding Majestic-12, or UFOs in this period, pretty much everything is true - including the background as described in Delta Green. Your SAC is Arthur Dales (for you X-Files buffs), who was recruited into a Delta Green-type organization by a participant of a federal raid on the city of Innsmouth, Mass. in 1928. The same goes with supernatural creatures, psionics, what have you - everything is on the table.

If there are three interested that will work too. If there are four I could also split off agents to work on different things at once.

When you post a character, please include the sorts of things you'd like to see/do/encounter in the game, so I get an idea of what will happen first.

Widowmaker

First Post
I have been working on my character more. I am leaning towards a Tough/Fast Hero. He will have been a cop previously and then applied for the FBI. While there he got into some trouble for being heavy handed, at the same time he had his first "incident" with the paranormal. Since then he has been assign to paranormal investigations.

I like the idea of Los Angeles. Some of the politics of Washington D.C are not going to be present though. But at the same time - Area 51 and Roswell are nearby.

Lukeworm

First Post
Either DC or LA are fine.

As I'm not familiar with Delta Green is the background available online? If I understand correctly paranormal will be UFOs and alians rather then occult, though the characters my not be aware of this.

Committed Hero

Adventurer
Lukeworm said:
As I'm not familiar with Delta Green is the background available online?
As far as the group will know, they are part of a task force and that will be about it.

Timeline

FAQ

If I understand correctly paranormal will be UFOs and aliens rather then occult, though the characters my not be aware of this.
I have ideas involving the occult too. Sea monsters, black magic, vampires, ghosts, whatever makes for a good story.

Lukeworm

First Post
Great, thanks.

Since the occult is part of the seting I'm thinking of that my character can be a UFO 'hunter'. He accepts that there are unknown phenomena in the world but insists that there are scientific explanations for it, preferably ones that involves aliens.

Remove ads