d20 Stats for a Headless Horseman

Of Washington Irving's The Legend of Sleepy Hollow fame--anyone know where some are, or interested in helping me figure out more or less what it should be like?

I don't mind giving a nod to the Tim Burton version, or even the Walt Disney and Bing Crosby version for that matter, but I'm giving more weight to the original short story.

In case you've never read it; here's the Project Gutenburg version of the story; it's long since passed into the public domain. http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/41

But that doesn't really have tons of details about the horseman himself and what he'd be like.

Doc_Souark

Explorer
Don't know about a horseman, but I sure could use a Headless Motorcycilist for a D20 Modern game I got planned. There was a classic episode from Kolchak, nightstalker (the original) with one in it.

szilard

First Post
What sort of CR are you looking at?

You could always use a standard undead type - say a wight (with some ranks in ride - or maybe some class levels and mounted combat feats) on a skeletal horse (or a nightmare if you are feeling nasty). Say that it doesn't have a head (and is blind), but give it Blindsight or Tremorsense or something.

-Stuart

That's a good question. Probably pretty mid-challenge level. Somewhere between, oh, CR 6 and CR 12. That's a pretty good start--I wonder what would be the best "base undead" creature to start with? In the various versions of the story, the horseman himself seems to be some kind of corporeal ghost, which of course is nonsensical from a D&D perspective.

dougmander

Explorer
The Northern Crown Gazetteer has stats for headless riders, page 99. I designed them as undead with frightful presence (Ex) and an ability to hurl severed heads to create either a fireball or a scare spell-like effect. Not sure if that matches your concept or not.

Doc_Souark

Explorer
dougmander said:
The Northern Crown Gazetteer has stats for headless riders, page 99. I designed them as undead with frightful presence (Ex) and an ability to hurl severed heads to create either a fireball or a scare spell-like effect. Not sure if that matches your concept or not.

:uhoh: It's IT"S YOU !! I got NC last year, haven't been able to get a group to play it yet, but I loved it {/fanboi mode]

phindar

First Post
Wasn't the headless horseman in the original short story a prank? So wouldn't it be a regular guy with a Disguise skill? (Which is funny in its own way, "He's immune to Turning! My God is powerless against this fiend!" I've always enjoyed playing panicky priests.)

Remove ads