d20 Superheroes...suggestions for setting sourcebook?

If there was to be a setting book produced for d20 Superheroes, what should it be?

• Golden Age

Votes: 6 11.1%
  • Silver Age

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • Modern Age

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • Grim and Gritty

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • Humor

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Some combination of above

Votes: 13 24.1%
  • All of the above

Votes: 6 11.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Other (specify below)

Votes: 2 3.7%

Bretbo

First Post
WizarDru said:
Quite honestly, I think d20 Superheroes is going to it's clock cleaned

While I tend to agree with you, I hope this thread doesn't turn into a MnM vs. d20 Superheroes battle. I more interested in hearing what folks think of a d20 Superhero Supplement and what it might include. You make some fine points, though, WizarDru!

WizarDru said:
ONe of my personal favorites was the DC Animated Universe conversions that someone did, converting all of the DCAU characters into M&M stats.

Heh, heh...I did that. One of my goals with it was to prove DC could be done with MnM. Now Green Ronin will be working on the new DC game for Black Industries, so I'm crossing my fingers. But lets not turn this thread into that discussion. :p

(Boy am I hypocritical!)

Kanegrundar

Explorer
My hope for D20 Supers is that it's fairly compatible with RPGOBjects' Blood and Vigilance, which I use in my Rifts D20 setting. If it's not, then I likely won't have any use for it. I don't wish the book to fail or anything, just that I won't personally need it.

Vigilance

Explorer
Kanegrundar said:
My hope for D20 Supers is that it's fairly compatible with RPGOBjects' Blood and Vigilance, which I use in my Rifts D20 setting. If it's not, then I likely won't have any use for it. I don't wish the book to fail or anything, just that I won't personally need it.

My guess is there will be plenty of potential for "data mining".

*I* certainly plan to use it for that

Chuck

Wraith Form

Explorer
Stormborn said:
Thinking about setting books I think there is one superhero genre that hasn't been well covered in a setting book: the cosmic heros. I am talking about a book that details major races and their empires, cosmic entities like Galactacus, ancient and not so ancient artifacts like Infinity Gems and star ships, intergalactic organizations like the Green Lantern Corps or L.E.G.I.O.N or the Dark Circle, and of course a timeline of all of those Kree/Skrull/Shiar wars and their visits to earth.

Now that kind of book I would love.
I hafta admit, this would also interest me heavily.

I'd love to see a Dr. Strange/magic/plane-hopping book, too, although I have my piles upon piles of Planescape boxed sets to help with that... :p

WargamerX

First Post
I agree...kinda. With the works supporting M&M what other settings do you need?

I've got Freedom City, but not as enthused as most posters here. I've always been more interested in (and really suprised that no ones mentioned); Noir, the Nocturnals, or the different era's (WW2) from Annual #1.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Stormborn said:
Thinking about setting books I think there is one superhero genre that hasn't been well covered in a setting book: the cosmic heros. I am talking about a book that details major races and their empires, cosmic entities like Galactacus, ancient and not so ancient artifacts like Infinity Gems and star ships, intergalactic organizations like the Green Lantern Corps or L.E.G.I.O.N or the Dark Circle, and of course a timeline of all of those Kree/Skrull/Shiar wars and their visits to earth.

Now that kind of book I would love.
My mind might be fuzzy, but isn't there a book titled Superworld back in the last millenium?

Ranger REG

Explorer
WargamerX said:
I've got Freedom City, but not as enthused as most posters here. I've always been more interested in (and really suprised that no ones mentioned); Noir, the Nocturnals, or the different era's (WW2) from Annual #1.
Probably because I prefer the Silver Age type. Comics these days have a different attitude that I just cannot embrace.

Almafeta

First Post
Of course, we could use an animé-style 'teen titans' setting.

Or the classic hollow world setting, in which the outside of the world is technological, and the inside is a fantasy setting... mmm... d20 Modern for fantasy...

Stormborn

Explorer
Ranger REG said:
My mind might be fuzzy, but isn't there a book titled Superworld back in the last millenium?

Maybe. But as I have only been into RPGS in this millenium I wouldn't know. May I take it that such a product does a lot of the things I mention? If so what was it like as a system?

WizarDru

Adventurer
JPL said:
Indeed. Although none of us have seen d20 Super Heroes yet, and although there will be no quantifiable measure of either game's objective overall quality, and although we we likely never see sales figures from a knowledgable source as to either game, I nevertheless fully expect the designers of d20 Super Heroes to commit ritual suicide sometime next summer, perhaps leaving some sort of note admitting the superiority of M&M. While it will be a tragic loss of life...when you get into game design, you know the risks involved.

Heh. Now, now...I was just offering an opinion. In point of fact, I thought I made it clear that I thought that it would be well done, as WotC releases almost universally are, and that it would be financially successfully (as all WotC releases almost universally are).

I just think that they're tossing it out there, the same way they tossed a lot of d20 Modern. material It doesn't have nearly the following of D&D, and appeals to a smaller audience. I think it's great they're doing it...but I also think it won't have much support. I'm vieiwing d20 Supers in the same vein as d20 Past and d20 Apocalypse. Nice extensions to the d20 line that are there more for completeness' sake than anything else.

I don't think that they'll be in competetion...I don't WotC even considered it in those terms.

But getting back to the topic at hand, another setting book to consider for d20 Superheroes (again ignoring the fairly light rules details) is The Authority setting book, which I've seen quite a few good reviews about.

A question that I have is what are you looking to get out of such a setting book? To my mind, official conversions are most of what I'd want out of any supplement to a d20 Superheroes book. And to my mind, that comes in three flavors:

1) Marvel
2) D.C.
3) A Specific Title (ex:Invincible, Supreme, Tom Tomorrow, Astro City, etc.)

For any Marvel and D.C. book, the only unique values it would have would be stats for established characters and a central repository for information on a character, to save me the time of research. I mean, Marvel and D.C. both put out excellent encyclopedias of their universes that are still pretty useful today, if you have them or can get them. A real value-add for me would be a comprehensive (and cleaned-up as best they can) Timeline of each universe (did Baron Zemo did in the Amazon before or after the FF first me the inhumans?, etc.).

I remember as a kid loving those annuals that Marvel and D.C. would put out with the maps and schematics of some of the superheroes equipment, like a cross-section of Daredevil's brownstone, the Baxter Building or the Fortress of Solitude. Totally fanciful and totally fun.

Remove ads