d20 Superheroes...suggestions for setting sourcebook?

If there was to be a setting book produced for d20 Superheroes, what should it be?

• Golden Age

Votes: 6 11.1%
  • Silver Age

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • Modern Age

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • Grim and Gritty

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • Humor

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Some combination of above

Votes: 13 24.1%
  • All of the above

Votes: 6 11.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Other (specify below)

Votes: 2 3.7%

Bretbo

First Post
With the upcoming, summer release of d20 Superheroes, presumably there will be several default settings within it's pages (or at the very least info on how to run various settings). What kind of seperate WotC-produced setting sourcebook would you like to see, if it was possible?

Last edited:

C. Baize

First Post
As I voted "Some combination of above", here's my thought...

It should incorporate:
Modern
Grim and Gritty
and some Humor

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Somebody should license the now defunct Providence from XID Creative. I've honestly never seen another supers RPG setting that smashed prec-conceptions like Providence did - Supers in High Fantasy was a great idea that deserves to be revisited.

JPL

Adventurer
Actually, I don't think a setting book would be a good idea.

My perception is that most groups would rather play in an established universe like Marvel or DC --- not a homebrew created for the RPG and populated by thinly-disguised pastiches of Marvel and DC characters.

Buuut...something with a retro-Silver Age feel --- like City of Heroes or the Incredibles --- would be all kinds of fun. POW! BAM!

Ranger REG

Explorer
JPL said:
My perception is that most groups would rather play in an established universe like Marvel or DC --- not a homebrew created for the RPG and populated by thinly-disguised pastiches of Marvel and DC characters.
???

What's wrong with Freedom City for MnM?

C. Baize

First Post
JPL said:
Actually, I don't think a setting book would be a good idea.

Buuut...something with a retro-Silver Age feel --- like City of Heroes or the Incredibles --- would be all kinds of fun. POW! BAM!

I think it depends...
When playing Marvel Super Heroes, we wanted the Marvel Universe...
While playing B&V, it's all open. I might have Batman, Captain America, El Diablo (from Freedom Force), and the Badger as members of The Avengers, or a few totally new characters, or any other combination drawing from any other universe, or amalgamation... or the Amalgam universe... Dark Claw, anyone? :)

I voted 'A Combination of the Above' up ther, and I think they should have the following:
-Silver Age,
-Golden Age (both of these definitely could use some extra gear for Past campaigns),
-Modern Age.

The evolution of them should be in the 'example campaigns' or something: for example, Golden Age would be more of a 'City of Heroes', Silver has teams like the JLA, Modern has smaller-focus or more 'up to the time' teams like Stormwatch (it was a UN-sponsored team).

Maybe some humor as well (D20 Teenagers From Outer Space, anyone?).

JPL

Adventurer
Ranger REG said:
???

What's wrong with Freedom City for MnM?

I wasn't thinking of any product in particular, REG, and I don't mean to suggest that all created-for-the-RPG settings are equal. I haven't reviewed Freedom City in any detail.

Here's my thought...back when I used to play FASERIP Marvel, one of the real advantages was that you could take anyone who knew the comics [which was everyone, back in the eighties], give them a Spider-Man character sheet, and they already knew, in a general way, what Spider-Man could do and how he acted. They knew what the Vulture looked like, they knew what Marvel NYC looked like, etc. With a created-for-the-RPG setting, there's a whole different universe to learn, and you don't have this enormous cast of characters to draw upon as needed.

And frankly, Freedom City might be good, but Stan & Jack did it better.

[For the record, I am sure that M&M is great (lots of people who seem to know their nerdcraft think so), and I think that both it and d20 Super Heroes will do quite well. I do not think the two systems are "competing" and I do not think one will destroy the other.]

I can see, however, where a blank slate [or a relativley sparse created-for-the-RPG setting] might be to other people's liking. d20 Modern seems to be adopting more of a toolkit approach, though, and I don't know if a full setting book is necessary for that.

But if they go forward with this...kind of a Silver Age / Incredibles groove, with art by UDON would work fine.

Last edited:

Stormborn

Explorer
Actually, I would prefer a World Book that outlined at least the 20the-early 21st century for a single city, with chapters on each era.

Remove ads