• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[d20M] League of Extraordinary Gentlemen -- UPDATED 12/4! NOTHING STRESSFUL GOING ON!

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Lela said:
They just did a different story that happened to include the city.

Right... The movie is not an adaptation of the comic. It is a completely different plot using the same characters; which is great, because my enjoyment of the concept lies in seeing these great characters in different situations.

You know... like saving Tesla... which I probably should get back to writing, neh?

Conaill

First Post
Heh. You'd think this was a weekly game, at the rate you're trickling in these updates.

On second thought... if this was a weekly game, I guess we would have been bugging you for last week's update! :D

GruTheWanderer

First Post
Lela said:
I wouldn't quite call it a car chase myself. There was only one car innvolved. Also, Venice wasn't a bad thing. They just did a different story that happened to include the city.

I understand that the story is completely different (even introducing the characters). Ebert's beef (one of them) was that many of the things in the movie would not be possible in the real Venice, so it either requires suspension of disbelief or imagining that Venice in the world of LXG is significantly different from our world.

It appears, though, that many of the people who enjoyed the comic still had a great time at the movie. That's the most important consideration, I think.

Conaill

First Post
Then again, if you've read the comics, you *know* that the world of LXG is significantly different from our world. In the very first comic, Mina and whatsisname are standing on a friggin bridge being built across the english channel! This is definitely a steampunk world with an exagerated technology level for its time...

This may not have been very clear for someone without much exposure to steam punk or the comics, like Ebert.

Last edited:

GruTheWanderer

First Post
Conaill said:
Then again, if you've read the comics, you *know* that the world of LXG is significantly different from our world. In the very first comic, Mina and whatsisname are standing on a friggin bridge being built across the english channel! This is definitely a steampunk world with an exagerated technology level for its time...

This may not have been very clear for someone without much exposure to steam punk or the comics, like Ebert.

Editing myself...

Ebert's review (slight spoilers): http://www.suntimes.com/output/ebert1/wkp-news-league11f.html

On a different note, I just realize that League fan fiction might be an excellent place to go for roleplaying ideas about the League. I haven't had a chance to look for any yet, but I bet it's out there.

Last edited:

Conaill

First Post
Have to admit, this one got a chuckle out of me:
What I do mind is that the movie plays like a big wind came along and blew away the script and they ran down the street after it and grabbed a few pages and shot those.
Haven't seen the movie yet myself. Is the plot really as bad as he makes it sound?

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Conaill said:
Haven't seen the movie yet myself. Is the plot really as bad as he makes it sound?

Yes, but what with all the gunplay and fist-fights and chases and explosions and vampires and Mr. Hyde and whatnot, I didn't much notice.

My only real complaint with the plot (where it got fuzzy to me) was the revelation of the villain's motives. Everything else was just fine-- an acceptable backdrop to a lot of action...

You will get what you expect, I think.

Wulf

Black Omega

First Post
Wulf Ratbane said:

Yes, but what with all the gunplay and fist-fights and chases and explosions and vampires and Mr. Hyde and whatnot, I didn't much notice.

My only real complaint with the plot (where it got fuzzy to me) was the revelation of the villain's motives. Everything else was just fine-- an acceptable backdrop to a lot of action...
This was certainly a problem. Too much about the villain bugged me. From his age, given who he was. To his weasly "If you stop me, it just means someone else will do it." Given who the villain is this makes little sense to me. A little explanation of why the bad guy was doing what he was doing, and why he was doing it in that way would have helped quite a bit.

GruTheWanderer

First Post
Wulf Ratbane said:

You will get what you expect, I think.

Wulf

Ok, I saw the movie and really enjoyed it. I have to agree with Wulf that watching the characters and the action sequences covers up the holes in the plot. It's just great to imagine the League in action in other situations.

Morrow

First Post
Wulf Ratbane said:

Mina's was in fact to prevent the others from killing anyone.

West and Quartermain both were trying to impress and/or protect Mina. That went out the window in the first encounter for Quartermain when Mina charged the crystal golem with her purse.

Wulf

Yep, Quartermain just couldn't catch a break. When Mina got a jump on him and went toe to toe with the crystal golem any chance of achieving his character goals pretty much went out the window. Luckily, Mina treated West with as much contempt as she treated Quartermain, so some small shred of his ego survived.

If memory serves, I was the one who suggested, "Hey, we've got an invisible guy, let him scout." Oops.

Quartermain did barricade the door to the barracks in an effort to contain the soldiers. Unfortunately, they were able to leave through a second exit at the opposite end of the building, charging right into Mr. Hyde's waiting arms.

I expect that the day after Tesla was saved Quartermain went in search of the largest supply of opium he could find. As Wulf has ably chronicled, any chance that Quartermain would pull himself together and revive his heroic career was pretty much smashed by the end of the session.

Morrow

Remove ads