D6 Basic Ways to Improve Your GMing

Gamemasters are the beating heart of an RPG home game. Their hard work creates the adventures player characters play through and the world their characters experience. If you’re a GM you are constantly honing your skills. Here are d6 basic ways to help you improve as a GM or start for the first time.

Gamemasters are the beating heart of an RPG home game. Their hard work creates the adventures player characters play through and the world their characters experience. If you’re a GM you are constantly honing your skills. Here are d6 basic ways to help you improve as a GM or start for the first time.

d6improve.jpg

Picture courtesy of Pixabay

As you consider these ideas, think of tabletop RPG home games as a three legged tripod. You have creativity and story telling, rule design and adjudication, and the social interaction with your players that all combine to make up actual RPG game play. If you deeply understand and apply these first three concepts, you will have the basics to understand GMing. The last three concepts are needed to be a competent GM and build on the first three ideas.
  1. Read Books: A foundation for running RPGs, reading fiction lays the groundwork for world building, NPC creation, and adventure ideas. Read everything not just fantasy, science fiction, or horror. Non-fiction too. A book on architecture may hone your map making skills. A murder mystery may inspire your next adventure when the king is assassinated. You want to steep yourself in the underpinnings of the hobby: Tolkien, Lovecraft, Burroughs, Vance, Heinlein, Howard, Asimov and more. Don’t neglect the newest works either though: Tad Williams, Terry Brooks, Neil Gaiman, Chine Melville, Jim Butcher etc. I also enjoy J. A. Jance’s modern crime thriller series starring Sheriff Joanna Brady. If you are at a loss, choose a Hugo or Nebula award winner or a Pulitzer Prize winning book to read.
  2. Read RPGs: If fiction builds your appreciation of world and NPC building, then reading RPGs will hone your knowledge of rule design, game play, and GMing. Read more RPGs than you play and you will be exposed to a variety of new ideas, new ways to run games, and even new ways to think about running game. I may never run certain RPGs but my understanding of my favorite RPGs are greatly broadened by reading the rules for other systems.
  3. Play as a Player: If you want to understand your players, what hosting a game looks like, and the nuances that go into GMing then play a few games as a player. The easiest way to understand a player’s mindset and goals is to be one yourself. Just remember to leave your GMing hat behind and put all your effort into helping the GM and other players create an engaging game session. Remember how you felt as a player and keep those feelings, thoughts, and goals in mind the next time your GM.
  4. Know your RPG: You read a lot. You play every once in a while as a player. To take your game to the next level, also delve deeply into the actual RPG you are running right now. Take time to reread rules, especially those sections that trip you up. Delve into the lore of the RPG and seek to deeply understand the tone and themes of the game. Immerse yourself in your RPG of choice.
  5. Know Your PCs and Your Campaign: Take the time to understand the characters your players are running, not just the game stats but who they are, where they have been, and where they are going. Try to memorize the names of each player’s character and use those character names in game. Review your previous adventures in the campaign. Update NPCs who survived previous encounters, update visited locations, move the timeline forward, and figure out what scheming villains have accomplished since last session. Remember what your players enjoyed in previous adventures and build on those experiences while at the same time introducing one or two new concepts and experiences.
  6. Know Your Adventure: Whether you write your own or use a published adventure, you need to organize your adventure. You need to carefully read a published adventure and turn the information into your own adventure notes. Try to configure encounters to one page including map and rule information like stats and defined terms. Write quick reminders on how certain rules work. If you can’t remember what the blinded condition in D&D 5E does and you need it for fighting a medusa, write needed details in your adventure notes. Keep a random list of NPC names and leave space for information you don’t want to forget after you actually run an adventure or as a place to count down hit points. Monster and NPC stat blocks usually leave out critical information like what class features and feat do, spell descriptions, special weapon and gear abilities, and more. Decide what you need to know to run the creature and record the information in your adventure notes.
If you use these basic tools you will continue to hone and improve your GMing craft. If you’re thinking about GMing for the first time these techniques will help get you a good start and will support you as you continue to GM for your players. If you’re already an expert GM, consider these basic techniques as kudos: you’re doing great, keep doing what you’re doing, and continue to hone your GM craft.

Charles Dunwoody

Charles Dunwoody

I'd say it's all good advice. The one I fall down on is #3. My "playing" time is limited and it's spent as a DM / GM. I haven't played in the better part of 20 years. Of course, being ancient, that still gives me 25 years of being a player and DM / GM :D Still, no experience at playing any recent games as a result. I miss being a player on occasion but I always preferred to run the game. Given the limits on my time (until I retire) I will continue to rack up time DMing...

I'd say it's all good advice. The one I fall down on is #3. My "playing" time is limited and it's spent as a DM / GM. I haven't played in the better part of 20 years. Of course, being ancient, that still gives me 25 years of being a player and DM / GM :D Still, no experience at playing any recent games as a result. I miss being a player on occasion but I always preferred to run the game. Given the limits on my time (until I retire) I will continue to rack up time DMing...

I much prefer to GM as well. Being aa player teaches me patience though and helps me with pacing. I'm much less likely to leave a player just sitting and waiting if I've played as a player recently. And recently may be a few years as I'm ancient too!

Shiroiken

Legend
I would change "Read Books" to "Seek Inspiration." While books are a great source of insight and inspiration, you can easily get the same from television, movies, comics, and even the great outdoors (yes, it's the geeks natural enemy). Focusing solely on books denies many avenues of source material.

I would change "Read Books" to "Seek Inspiration." While books are a great source of insight and inspiration, you can easily get the same from television, movies, comics, and even the great outdoors (yes, it's the geeks natural enemy). Focusing solely on books denies many avenues of source material.

Reading books doesn't stop a GM from doing all those other things. But fiction underpins the RPG hobby. A GM will be well served being grounded in books. And non-fiction really does stoke the fires of creativity and bring a setting to life.

I actually find it fascinating that there is a push back against knowing the basics from which RPGs grew. I'm learning new things too!

Shiroiken

Legend
Reading books doesn't stop a GM from doing all those other things. But fiction underpins the RPG hobby. A GM will be well served being grounded in books. And non-fiction really does stoke the fires of creativity and bring a setting to life.

I actually find it fascinating that there is a push back against knowing the basics from which RPGs grew. I'm learning new things too!
I'm not saying a DM shouldn't read (that's a crazy concept), merely that limiting or primarily focusing yourself to books is denying a realm of other sources of inspiration. I'm considered well-read, having consumed a bit over a thousand books in my life, but even I've seen way more movies, TV, and comics. Due to the generational shift, I don't think younger DMs should be held back by the limitations of earlier technology. My nephews are incredibly intelligent and creative, but by their age (early 20s) I'd read more books than they will probably read in their combined lifetimes. They simply find the source of their inspiration and creativity through other sources. To imply that being well-read is a necessary way to improve being a GM is faulty logic.

I'm not saying a DM shouldn't read (that's a crazy concept), merely that limiting or primarily focusing yourself to books is denying a realm of other sources of inspiration. I'm considered well-read, having consumed a bit over a thousand books in my life, but even I've seen way more movies, TV, and comics. Due to the generational shift, I don't think younger DMs should be held back by the limitations of earlier technology. My nephews are incredibly intelligent and creative, but by their age (early 20s) I'd read more books than they will probably read in their combined lifetimes. They simply find the source of their inspiration and creativity through other sources. To imply that being well-read is a necessary way to improve being a GM is faulty logic.

I tried to come up with a way to respond to your conclusion without sounding snide but I couldn't. So I'll sue for peace. I think you may have read something more into my GM advice than intended but this seems to be a pain point for you. I hear that you think this is faulty logic. I wanted you to know that I heard you but I don't plan to respond about your point since I don't see a need to argue about this topic. I sincerely hope you have a great day. Hope good things come your way. Peace out.

pemerton

Legend
I agree with @Doug McCrae. I don't know if I'm a good GM but I'm pretty sure I'm a competent GM. And films and comics are more important than books for how I think about the shared fiction of a RPG.

I don't play (as opposed to GM) very often, but I did a couple of weeks ago - a session of Burning Wheel. The GM of that session has GMed about four sessions in his life. He is a better GM than many I've been GMed by who had a lot more experience.

One thing that makes him a good GM is that he thinks about consequences, and has a good sense of the range of consequences that the system allows for. In his first few sessions he used consequences including injury, an infamous reputation, and the discovery of mysterious letters.

In the most recent session, that I linked to, he had placed a teleport portal, but followed the fiction and mechanics where they led, which was to the portal shutting down without the characters going through it. A lot of GMs would be tempted to railroad in that sort of situation.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
I think focusing too much on literature and developing a writer's skill set does a disservice to the medium. I think understanding other interactive mediums, emergent storytelling, and in the case of more character focused gaming what it means authentically portray a character are just as if not more important than world building and especially plotting (which does not work well with a more interactive medium).

Characters drive story and one of the best ways to understand character is to develop an actor's tool set and mentality. Read from texts like Warner Laughlin Technique. Watch videos from great actors like Joaquin Phoenix that talk about the process. Watch finished movies, but also test footage where you can find it.

Mentality and process matter much more than specific techniques here. Experience as an amateur actor has taught me that you need to have fun with and do the work. I have learned to come prepared, but work in the moment. It's hard to communicate, but like it has helped me to learn to not attempt to control the situation, but to try things, collaborate and communicate, and see where that leads us. It's helped me enjoy the process of play as much as the final result. I find we (in this hobby) often focus too much on the final result and not enough on the process. From either side of the screen the more I try to control the process the less productive play ends up being.

pemerton

Legend
Yeah, you guys got me. Movies and comics are better than a Pulitzer prize winning book for growing your mind and creativity. My bad.
Look, I don't know you as anyone but an EN World poster. Maybe you have a host of writing credits I'm not aware of.

But all of us are posting our own sincere, and reasoned, views about what makes for good GMing. In your OP you seem to equate good GMing to fiction writing. Some of us don't agree. The next new system I want to GM is Apocalypse World. Why would I read novels to get better at GMing AW? I'd be better of watching Mad Max!

And on the issue of Pulitzer-prize winning books: I'm guessing a good number of GMs have read To Kill A Mockingbird, given its status as a school text, but I wouldn't trust 1 GM in 100 to handle that sort of material in a RPG. Reading isn't writing; and writing isn't GMing.

I recently GMed a Wuthering Heights session. If someone wanted to GM Wuthering Heights and wasn't sure where to start, I'd probably suggest the recent TV version of Vanity Fair over any nineteenth century novel - the TV show clearly has contemporary sensibilities in mind. The session I ran included "social"/"political" themes. I think I managed to pull it off. I was helped by the fact that (i) I know my players well (as in, we've been friends for many many years) and (ii) I am an academic whose fields of teaching and research include theoretical sociology. If someone wanted to incorporate this sort of material into their campaign and wasn't sure where to start I'd recommend an introductory modern history textbook.

As I said, you seem to be equating GMing to fiction writing, with references in your OP to world building, updating NPCs who survived previous encounters, moving the timeline forward, figuring out what scheming villains have accomplished, organising an adventure, configuring encounters with maps and notes, etc. That's one way to approach GMing. But it's not the only way. Almost none of it is relevant to GMing Wuthering Heights. It has little relevance to GMing Burning Wheel or Apocalypse World or Prince Valiant or Cortex+ Heroic. I don't use many of those techniques when I GM Classic Traveller.

It's fine for you to set out your own approaches, but it seems odd to get surprised when people express different views, that are clearly anchored in some pretty well-known RPGs and well-known approaches to GMing that just happen to differ from your own.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads