D6 Basic Ways to Improve Your GMing

Gamemasters are the beating heart of an RPG home game. Their hard work creates the adventures player characters play through and the world their characters experience. If you’re a GM you are constantly honing your skills. Here are d6 basic ways to help you improve as a GM or start for the first time.

Gamemasters are the beating heart of an RPG home game. Their hard work creates the adventures player characters play through and the world their characters experience. If you’re a GM you are constantly honing your skills. Here are d6 basic ways to help you improve as a GM or start for the first time.

d6improve.jpg

Picture courtesy of Pixabay

As you consider these ideas, think of tabletop RPG home games as a three legged tripod. You have creativity and story telling, rule design and adjudication, and the social interaction with your players that all combine to make up actual RPG game play. If you deeply understand and apply these first three concepts, you will have the basics to understand GMing. The last three concepts are needed to be a competent GM and build on the first three ideas.
  1. Read Books: A foundation for running RPGs, reading fiction lays the groundwork for world building, NPC creation, and adventure ideas. Read everything not just fantasy, science fiction, or horror. Non-fiction too. A book on architecture may hone your map making skills. A murder mystery may inspire your next adventure when the king is assassinated. You want to steep yourself in the underpinnings of the hobby: Tolkien, Lovecraft, Burroughs, Vance, Heinlein, Howard, Asimov and more. Don’t neglect the newest works either though: Tad Williams, Terry Brooks, Neil Gaiman, Chine Melville, Jim Butcher etc. I also enjoy J. A. Jance’s modern crime thriller series starring Sheriff Joanna Brady. If you are at a loss, choose a Hugo or Nebula award winner or a Pulitzer Prize winning book to read.
  2. Read RPGs: If fiction builds your appreciation of world and NPC building, then reading RPGs will hone your knowledge of rule design, game play, and GMing. Read more RPGs than you play and you will be exposed to a variety of new ideas, new ways to run games, and even new ways to think about running game. I may never run certain RPGs but my understanding of my favorite RPGs are greatly broadened by reading the rules for other systems.
  3. Play as a Player: If you want to understand your players, what hosting a game looks like, and the nuances that go into GMing then play a few games as a player. The easiest way to understand a player’s mindset and goals is to be one yourself. Just remember to leave your GMing hat behind and put all your effort into helping the GM and other players create an engaging game session. Remember how you felt as a player and keep those feelings, thoughts, and goals in mind the next time your GM.
  4. Know your RPG: You read a lot. You play every once in a while as a player. To take your game to the next level, also delve deeply into the actual RPG you are running right now. Take time to reread rules, especially those sections that trip you up. Delve into the lore of the RPG and seek to deeply understand the tone and themes of the game. Immerse yourself in your RPG of choice.
  5. Know Your PCs and Your Campaign: Take the time to understand the characters your players are running, not just the game stats but who they are, where they have been, and where they are going. Try to memorize the names of each player’s character and use those character names in game. Review your previous adventures in the campaign. Update NPCs who survived previous encounters, update visited locations, move the timeline forward, and figure out what scheming villains have accomplished since last session. Remember what your players enjoyed in previous adventures and build on those experiences while at the same time introducing one or two new concepts and experiences.
  6. Know Your Adventure: Whether you write your own or use a published adventure, you need to organize your adventure. You need to carefully read a published adventure and turn the information into your own adventure notes. Try to configure encounters to one page including map and rule information like stats and defined terms. Write quick reminders on how certain rules work. If you can’t remember what the blinded condition in D&D 5E does and you need it for fighting a medusa, write needed details in your adventure notes. Keep a random list of NPC names and leave space for information you don’t want to forget after you actually run an adventure or as a place to count down hit points. Monster and NPC stat blocks usually leave out critical information like what class features and feat do, spell descriptions, special weapon and gear abilities, and more. Decide what you need to know to run the creature and record the information in your adventure notes.
If you use these basic tools you will continue to hone and improve your GMing craft. If you’re thinking about GMing for the first time these techniques will help get you a good start and will support you as you continue to GM for your players. If you’re already an expert GM, consider these basic techniques as kudos: you’re doing great, keep doing what you’re doing, and continue to hone your GM craft.

Charles Dunwoody

Charles Dunwoody

Thank you - that's all really good advice, some of which I have forgotten now and again.

You're welcome. I appreciate your feedback.

Play as a player is a difficult one for me. I was able to play in Dark Sun a few months back and we still talk about that campaign. My players got to see another side of me and I got to see gaming through their eyes.

lyle.spade

Adventurer
You're welcome. I appreciate your feedback.

Play as a player is a difficult one for me. I was able to play in Dark Sun a few months back and we still talk about that campaign. My players got to see another side of me and I got to see gaming through their eyes.
Great point. I have traditionally loved running games for the sake of the big story, surprises at the table, and drawing out of players story and character that they might not, otherwise. At least that's what I aim for. I also tend, like many GMs I know, to GM too much, too long, and my players quietly accept this - and none step up. Then I get burned out.

I've been running pretty much nonstop for well over a year for a weekly game, in person (aside from video for a while in the first months of the plague), and finally I asked my group to set aside that game and have one of them run a few sessions. One did. And then I asked another to run a one-off, which he will this weekend. And then I'll take up the job again, but this time only for a block of maybe two months, and then I'll either hand it off to another player, or run something else (that helps).

I've been running pretty much nonstop for well over a year for a weekly game, in person (aside from video for a while in the first months of the plague), and finally I asked my group to set aside that game and have one of them run a few sessions. One did. And then I asked another to run a one-off, which he will this weekend. And then I'll take up the job again, but this time only for a block of maybe two months, and then I'll either hand it off to another player, or run something else (that helps).

How did it go? Did you have fun? Was it hard to transition from GM to player? Is this switching GMs helping stop your burnout?

lyle.spade

Adventurer
How did it go? Did you have fun? Was it hard to transition from GM to player? Is this switching GMs helping stop your burnout?
It went well but each session, as time passed, took more effort - mentally and emotionally - to plan and run. Transitioning from GM to player took constant reminders to myself (internal monologue) to SHUT UP and not try to explain rules or take up the words of an NPC. It helped that we played in a totally different system and genre (we'll do that again this weekend).

Switching GMs is to help reduce burnout, and also to switch up stories. There are so many good games and systems out there and I see no reason to lock myself into one to the exclusion of others. Too much opportunity cost there.

As I said, I'll go back to DnD in a bit (Eberron) and will run an old published adventure from the 3.5 days, updated and made to fit into what had been our existing Eberron campaign. And then I'll pitch Star Trek Adventures, for 6-8 sessions, or coax my buddy into running Conan (the awesome 2d20 version).

That variety - GM, system, genre - should keep things fresh.

R_J_K75

Legend
I think one of the best things you can do is get feedback from your players whether its outright asking them, poll them or casually bring it up in conversation. 9 out of 10 times IME they will not give you feedback for various reasons unless you ask. Sometimes DMs including myself think that the campaign is going great when in reality its not. If as a DM you dont know somethings wrong you cant fix it.

I think one of the best things you can do is get feedback from your players whether its outright asking them, poll them or casually bring it up in conversation. 9 out of 10 times IME they will not give you feedback for various reasons unless you ask. Sometimes DMs including myself think that the campaign is going great when in reality its not. If as a DM you dont know somethings wrong you cant fix it.

I agree. This habit is similar to but different from knowing the players' characters. I think a brand new GM would need to be careful what they ask for and how they ask. If I have players grouse at me I just write it off as a bad day and try to glean any useful bits from the complaints. But a new GM needs to develop both some confidence and thick skin so they don't think they suck at GMing. Also, new GMs may not know that players don't always know what they want. Monty Haul (giving away too much treasure) campaigns can happen when a new GM tries to give the players what they think they want.

So I would consider gathering and acting on feedback a more expert GMing skill.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads