Da Vinci Code on film

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Wow. This movie did GREAT this weekend. 13th biggest opening weekend ever, beating out all three Lord of the Rings movies, and making $77,000,000 for the opening weekend.

KenM

Banned
Banned
I just got back from seeing it. I thought it was decent. Not great thou. I have not read the book. IMO it could have used some kind of action closer to the end of the film. I also thought that Hanks' character
Should have go right to the US embassy once he found the tracking device in his pocket and through the cops off. I am glad thet they did not do the standard hollywood end of having Hanks and the girl hook up at the end.

paradox42

First Post
Mistwell said:
Wow. This movie did GREAT this weekend. 13th biggest opening weekend ever, beating out all three Lord of the Rings movies, and making $77,000,000 for the opening weekend.
Just goes to show the adage about no publicity being bad publicity is true. :)

I saw it today myself. IMO it didn't suck, even though there were some significant plot holes and less-than-believable character moments. But it presented the ideas in an interesting way, and I must admit I felt a tingle of vicarious excitement when they first got into the secret library of records. It was worth a matinee showing.

Now, next weekend will come the movie that's hopefully worth full price! X3, here you come...

Cthulhudrew

First Post
nikolai said:
(I was stuck by just how amazing Paul Bettany would have been as Elric, and also by the tragedy that thanks to this film he's out of contention for the role.)

Why would he be out of contention for the role?

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Mistwell said:
Some good action scenes (I loved the backwards chase in the Smart Car).
I didn't see any justification for being such a good driver. I thought it was a silly scene.

Jdvn1

Richards said:
All of that would probably have taken me several hours to figure out and implement, even without the bullet hole in my torso! (I guess he must have put all of his points into Constitution - but then how was his Intelligence high enough to figure out all those anagrams in his head while dying? :))
While I also think it was silly, I'm pretty sure the shot wasn't fatal. I thought he killed himself because he just betrayed his god, but before that he just left clues for a master-puzzle-solver to figure out. Since he was a great puzzle guy himself, he probably didn't have to think so much about the puzzles. And the bank vault combination was likely done previously.

The Teacher, and the cop, could have implemented whatever plans they had laid out much better than they had actually done. I thought they were poorly done.

Jdvn1

satori01 said:
Moreover some of [Ron Howard's] visual techniques that Howard uses gives away the story.
I think Howard tries to be a mis-en-scene director, but he's clearly not.

Starman

Adventurer
Cthulhudrew said:
Why would he be out of contention for the role?

Fairly well-known actor taking another role as an albino, especially another one that isn't, uh, very nice? Yeah, probably not.

Cthulhudrew

First Post
Starman said:
Fairly well-known actor taking another role as an albino, especially another one that isn't, uh, very nice? Yeah, probably not.

*shrug*

I don't know- all kinds of actors play the same roles constantly. Aside from his turn in Psycho, I can't think of any role that Vince Vaughn has played that hasn't been loud, sarcastic humor guy. Harrison Ford's roles lately have all been pretty much the same.

I wouldn't rule it out. Then again, the odds of an Elric movie getting made seem to be pretty slim. The rights have, as I understand it, been passed around for ages now.

Remove ads