Da Vinci Code on film

Vocenoctum

First Post
Hijinks said:
I'd like to say that, in my opinion, saying that a novel is "based on fact" is NOT saying that every single thing said in that novel is a fact.

Ok so, Matt Lauer asks him, "Is this book based on reality?" (i.e. fact), and Dan Brown says "yes." He took some historical facts and expounded on them. Whether he added unrealities to those factual bases is irrelevant - the book is, as he says based on fact.

He says: "all of the art, architeture, secret rituals, secret societies ... is historical fact." Does anyone dispute that those things exist now or existed then? I don't think anyone does dispute that these things exist(ed). So they ARE facts. If he based things in a novel on those facts, then I fully believe what he says above.

To be BASED on fact does not mean a book is 100% true. I see no lie in his words above.

IMO, He's obviously trading on the idea that the book is factual in the most part in order to get people to see the movie. "It really makes you think" style of movie. He wants to portray it as the "true" history of the bible to draw interest in it and I think it has worked for the book. Only when directly asked does he get more specific. It's hype.

The movie is simply because the book was popular.

I think the point is that the guy is trying to sell books and thinks the controversy helps (which it obviously does), so he keeps going. It's not that he's looking to defame anything, he simply doesn't care.

The best I saw in a movie on TV once was "based on a true story, some events have been changed for dramatic effect". Basically we changed anything boring. :)

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Listen up, everyone.

From this point forward, this thread wil discuss only the movie. If I or another moderator feel that a post discusses the philosophies and/or history behind the movie, or religion, or starts/continues an argument with another poster, or tries to debate whether or not the movie is based on fact, that person has a good chance of taking a free vacation from EN World for a few days. Expect no additional warnings. This is true even if you feel like the aggrieved party, just fighting back, so please bite your tongue and walk away for ten minutes before pushing the "submit" button.

Does this stifle all intelligent discussion of the movie? Maybe. But it's better than the alternative, which is not discussing the movie at all.

We're tired of threadcrapping, and we're absolutely tired of babysitting these threads. Head on over to Circvs Maximvs if you'd like to discuss the stuff that isn't allowed here.

If this is somehow a problem or if you have a question, feel free to email me by clicking on my username or getting my address from the sticky thread in Meta.

Last edited:

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
So, I really liked the Cryptex they portrayed in the movie. They are apparently the hot selling thing right now. I can see putting one in a D&D game :)

Klaus

First Post
danzig138 said:
That paints an intersting mental picture. :)
LOL!!!

Can't believe I typed that!

But ideed, Batman Baggins sounds great, specially with his faithful butler Alfred Gamgee, trying to free Shire City from his archnemesis, Joklum!

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
I think at this point the chance of having any reasonable discussion of this movie here is moot, not due to the mods mind you.

Hopefully I enjoy it next Tuesday. I'll try to remember to write up a quick review when I get back.

Someone

Adventurer
Mark Chance said:
How would I have improved the movie? I'd have not filmed it. I'd have made a serious push to the film rights for a good conspiracy theory book, such as Foucault's Pendulum, instead.

I just finished Foulcault´s pendulum, and if someone makes a decent film out of it I´ll think of him as one of the greatest scripwriters and directors. On the other hand I laughed a lot when the main characters used a sentence randomizer program and got "Da Vinci´s Code" argument.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases