• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Daggermaster - weapon advise?

Tony Vargas

Legend
Viscous is nice because it's relatively inexpensive and has the largest crit die (only vorpal rivals it). Duelist's does a little more crit damage than a regular weapon when you have combat advantage, which, as a rogue, you should be managing to get most of the time - when you don't, it's daily briefly grants you CA.

A parrying dagger for your off hand isn't a bad idea, either.

Anything that lets you get in more attacks/round is desireable if you have a very high crit potential - so close-blast effects like Blinding Barage and it's higher level cousins, close-burst weapon attacks, and two-weapon attacks poached from the Ranger class are all attractive options. Even extra melee basic attacks (like OAs) are worth taking - they might not hit well - but probably still well enough to crit on an 18.

Ibixat

First Post
With daggermaster to me Two fisted shooter is almost a requirement, being able to pop off a free ranged basic with a hand crossbow every time you crit is just happy happy to me, and being a free action attack you could conceivable crit 2 or 3 times with a burst attack and fire 3 free ranged basics, best part is even if you don't have a way to stop OA's like drow, you only would provoke one OA when it happens =) I like to think of it like a vorpal attack =P since if you happen to crit the free ranged basic you get another free one again =)

Coyraven

First Post
- bloodiron = 3d10 plus another 3d10 the next round automatically. Thanks!

This is what my daggermaster is using. It doesn't get better than the bloodiron.

Iirc- there is a dagger that blinds on a crit in the AV, but the bloodiron will prove more useful.

And it leads to cool scenes...

We were fighting a red dragon that was nearly dead and was trying to escape-- it caused a OA from my rogue-- I critted.

The dm sighed that the next hit would kill it-- so as my turn was next, my rogue sheathed his dagger and started to walk away as the second crit damage kicked in and killed the dragon.

CR

MrAlgothi

First Post
While I have a love for Bloodiron daggers, just remember that there are times bloodiron weapons will perform worse then vicious weapons. If you or an ally manages to kill your target before the start of your next turn, the extra damage is lost. I find they perform outstanding on brute, elite and solo creatures, but critical hits on artillery and lurkers often simply overkill and much of that extra damage is lost.

DracoSuave

First Post
If said critical hit overkilled the artillery or lurker, then, I'd like to point out, extra critical damage from vicious or vorpal would also have been lost. The only time where you lose damage from bloodiron as opposed to vorpal is if the target were knocked down to x hps where x is the enhancement of the bloodiron weapon, and then only if someone attacks that monster.

Of course, if this is the situation, it's the someone who attacked that monster who lost the resource that matters, and if the monster were doomed to die, they should have let your damage do its thing.

Overkill is no problem next to lost actions.

Tony Vargas

Legend
From what I've seen of bloodiron, the only downside is the delay. If vicious would have killed it, but bloodiron doesn't quite, the target would get in another action, or an ally might have to use an action to finish it before it does. Either way, there's an 'economy of actions' impact. Plus, of course, vicious is just plain cheap, only 1 level higher than a generic magic weapon.

DracoSuave

First Post
Which only happens if you knocked it down to x hps anyways, x the + of the weapon. Anything more than that, and you didn't lose a thing.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Sure, and you didn't gain anything, either - both would simply kill the target on the crit.
But vicious is still cheaper, and core.

Last edited:

Istar

First Post
One case: You've just used a daily and missed. Instead of burning another daily or encounter, just reroll the one that you've already spent. Extra good if you're an elf - 1.5 rerolls per encounter!
quote]

I am not quite sure how this works, but I have now decided to go Elf Rogue Daggermaster.

How do you get 1.5 re-rolls per encounter.

isnt it 2 ?

One for the Elf skill (plus the feat that goes with it).

And another for the daggermaster power ?

Dr_Ruminahui

First Post
Since the daggermaster power is action point dependent, you only get to use it once per milestone (which is once every other encounter).

Hence 1.5.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads