• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Daggerspell Mage special ability Invokation of the knife.

Snowy

Explorer
Still toying vaguely with the daggerspell mage prestige class (anything is better than revision! ;) )

Second level ability Invocation of the knife, looks pretty funky and flavourful. I'm not sure how much of what it i'm allowed to post (don't want to be a bad snowy :) ).

Can turn half energy damage in any spell you cast into magical slashing damage.

only works on instantaneous duration spells.

Two real questions, probably a bit thick ones I've got a brain full of reaction kinetics and can't do DnD at the moment :\ ;

Are force effects like magic missile energy? or is force different? (I suspect it is but can't remember where its described)

Why instantaneous?
Not that I want it changed, but one of the images floating in my head was a inv of the knife ice storm raining jagged blades of ice down from above, dealing bludgeoning, slashing and cold damage, tasty.

John Q. Mayhem

Explorer
I don't think that force counts as energy; obviously it's some type of energy, but generally in D&D "energy" only refers to the five types (cold, fire, acid, sonic, lightning).

Instantaneous is probably just to cut off min-maxxing. Maybe they had a particular spell that's unbalanced with Invocation of the Knife, or maybe they just wanted to nip something in the bud. Or maybe it's a flavour thing that they didn't think through all the way. Personally I'd allow an Invoked ice storm 'cause it's cool.

Gez

First Post
Force is an energy type. But it's a bit apart from the others.

I'd have no problem with magic missiles dealing half-slashing damage, half-force damage.

Len

Prodigal Member
Snowy said:
Are force effects like magic missile energy? or is force different? (I suspect it is but can't remember where its described)
The term "energy" is used kind of loosely in the rulebooks, but Invocation of the Knife specifically mentions energy resistance, which makes me think it applies to the "usual" energies (fire, cold, acid, electricity, sonic).

Remove ads