• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Daily Art Preview

Khaalis

Adventurer
Mouseferatu said:
Then again, I have an unrelenting (and, I'll admit, unreasonable) hatred of the notion of cat-people in general. Never been entirely sure why, especially since I really like some other "beast people" (gnolls and minotaurs, f'rinstance).
You sure you aren't blocking out a bad run in with a furry? :D

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
Derren said:
They should have used the traditional Rakshasa.
Who says they didn't? The existence of the rakshasa assassin doesn't prevent there being a regular rakshasa - and I note that there's a rakshasa baron in the Dungeons of Dread set.

I love Rakshasas and this one looks pretty good imho! Also, i don't have any problems with non-tiger variants, i vaguely remember Rakshasas with gorilla heads were mentioned in the 2nd edition monster manual..

Klaus

First Post
Samuel Leming said:
I just can't accept rakshasas as cat-folk. Can't do it. Other than an accident of art, there's nothing cat-like about them. Why should shape-shifting evil even have a default form?

Does anyone remember the elephant-headed rakshasa mini from 1st edition?

Sam
Oh, sure enough, I remember when rakshasas were described as being sometimes tiger-like, sometimes ape-like. I used "cat-folk" here mainly to described the picture's subject. Even when depicted as tiger-humanoids, I'd prefer them to have a more supernatural flair to them (glowing eyes, maybe?).

Klaus

First Post
Mouseferatu said:
Agreed. I love the notion of the rakshasa, and I don't even mind tiger-headed rakshasa. But that should never have become the default, and they certainly shouldn't have become "cat-people" overall. (They were, IIRC, entirely human in appearance, but for the backward hands and animal head.)

Then again, I have an unrelenting (and, I'll admit, unreasonable) hatred of the notion of cat-people in general. Never been entirely sure why, especially since I really like some other "beast people" (gnolls and minotaurs, f'rinstance).
Mouse, maybe your hatred stems from the fact that the vast majority of cat-folk designers tend to make their races either uber at everything (always fall on their feet! flawless stealth!) or too cat-like (affected by catnip! hates dogs!), whereas gnolls and minotaurs have very little in them that is hyena-like or bull-like. It's far too easy to fall into the Mary Sue trap, specially if you like cats.

E-mail me so I can show you my own cat-race, the kathos, and let's see if that steers you away from your trauma... :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads