• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Daily Art Preview

Benimoto

First Post
I'm pleased to see the Rakshasa Assassin hit the art previews. Not quite as mysterious or magnetic a picture as the Githzerai, but still a nice picture. More importantly, Rakshasa as a race beat Githzerai anyday.

Plus, it's good to see that the Rakshasa have taken a cue from some of the later Monster Manuals and broadened out a little. I expect at least a lurker (assassin), as well as a soldier and a controller rakshasa. Maybe some artillery would be nice too.

DandD

First Post
Hmm, I though Rakshasas were always humanoid tigers with backward hands? So, can a Rakshasas be any kind of feline humanoid with awkward hands? Or is this change introduced into D&D 4th edition?

Goobermunch

Explorer
DandD said:
Hmm, I though Rakshasas were always humanoid tigers with backward hands? So, can a Rakshasas be any kind of feline humanoid with awkward hands? Or is this change introduced into D&D 4th edition?

It started with Eberron, where they added a few new types of Rakshasas. In the ECS, they added the Zakya Rakshasa. Then, in the MM3, they added the Ak'Chazar and the Naztharune (White Tiger and Black Panther, respectively).

--G

Rechan said:
For some reason, the hands don't look backwards to me.
They are. If you were to hold a knife in that position your knuckles would be facing the other way (for the stage left one) and your thumb would be at the back (for the stage right one).

Surgoshan said:
Yeah, its left hand looks awkward. It's easy enough to get your hands into those positions, but I really don't like the look.
It looks awkward because it's actually attempting to depict an amusing fantasy/mythology note with actual anatomy.

I like it.

Last edited:

Klaus

First Post
That rakshasa has a mighty large head. As for the backward hands, the left one (our right) is okay, but the other one should be shown more clearly to illustrate the backwardness. And the armor looks a bit too... pedestrian, maybe?

As far as cat-folk go, not the best.

Keefe the Thief

Adventurer
You cannot have too many Rakshasa in a campaign setting, IMHO. I´ll always remember the old Curse of the Azure Bonds Gold Box game where i met them the first time. "Whooo? A tiger in a bathrobe smoking a pipe just kicked my parties ass!" :D

Remove ads