• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Daily Art Preview

Aloïsius

First Post
mhacdebhandia said:
I wasn't just referring to the Diablo character, but seriously: if you stuck wings on Diablo and coloured him black, you'd pretty much have that movie Balrog. It's one of the most unimaginative and boring designs they could have gone with.

Yeah, because, of course, we all know that Tolkien was a geek and plagiarized his description of the Balrog upon Diablo... ;)

After all, Blizzard has never copied stuff from elsewhere, their work is 100% original, as people who played warcraft after Dune 2 could tell you.

Benben

First Post
small pumpkin man said:
Some of the details look a bit wierd, but it certainly feels like some sort of abyss-spawned abomination. I approve.

-Edit, wait, is that a mullet?

It's a mane not a mullet. It's the same length of hair all along his head and neck and probably back.

Kishin

First Post
Aloïsius said:
Yeah, because, of course, we all know that Tolkien was a geek and plagiarized his description of the Balrog upon Diablo... ;)

After all, Blizzard has never copied stuff from elsewhere, their work is 100% original, as people who played warcraft after Dune 2 could tell you.

Pretty sure that wasn't the implication at all.

That said, pretty much what I expected from the Balor. I like it; but its not the most enthralling of the previews simply because I pretty much knew what to expect.

Oni

First Post
The mood of the Balor is very good. I really like the design for the head and there are alot of nice little details in the pic, I especially like the little crowned skulls it's wearing. I'm not a fan of the anatomy. The problem when you change anatomy yet remain so close to a form that everyone recognizes it doesn't come off as different, it comes off as wrong. I can clearly see that the artist is trying to convey thick skin but I think it looks all the more odd were arms pinch so thin in the upper region above the bicep. The wrist seem smallish for such a built creature. The abs bother me a lot, they look like the artist just forgot to drawn in the line to seperate the left and the right. I guess what it boils down to is he looks like he's wearing one of those stuffed fake muscle shirts and that takes away from what is otherwise a great pic. Personally I wish the muscle detail had been dialed back a bit and I think it would have made it look as though it had thicker, heavier skin. He also seems to be missing his right thumb.

But overall it's an enjoyable picture, good mood.

Oni said:
The problem when you change anatomy yet remain so close to a form that everyone recognizes it doesn't come off as different, it comes off as wrong. I can clearly see that the artist is trying to convey thick skin but I think it looks all the more odd were arms pinch so thin in the upper region above the bicep. The wrist seem smallish for such a built creature. The abs bother me a lot, they look like the artist just forgot to drawn in the line to seperate the left and the right. I guess what it boils down to is he looks like he's wearing one of those stuffed fake muscle shirts and that takes away from what is otherwise a great pic. Personally I wish the muscle detail had been dialed back a bit and I think it would have made it look as though it had thicker, heavier skin. He also seems to be missing his right thumb.

But overall it's an enjoyable picture, good mood.

Its not really a matter of the artist trying to change things yet remain so close to a form that everyone recognizes, unfortunately. All of his humanoids have poorly rendered anatomy. Its going to drive me nuts if this guys stuff is all over 4E since his bodies/arms remind me of the work of some kid in 9th grade study hall.

Stogoe

First Post
Meh. The subset of people who have extensively studied human anatomy and are bothered by unrealistic fantasy art is probably vanishingly small. It sure doesn't bother me.

Oni

First Post
Stogoe said:
Meh. The subset of people who have extensively studied human anatomy and are bothered by unrealistic fantasy art is probably vanishingly small. It sure doesn't bother me.

Since this thread is specifically a discussion about art though I don't see any reason not to be more critical of what we're being served up. I don't believe extensive study of human anatomy is required to notice some of the thing going on here either. Human beings have a pretty good inate sense of what's right and what's wrong when it comes to the human form, it's wired into the brain.

Also I prefer to think in the gaming industry, art and otherwise that mediocre isn't good enough. If we as fans don't continually set the bar higher then there won't be any reason for game makers to improve their craft. Is it ok now, sure. Would it be better if the mistakes were absent, definately.

The problem with the little things is while you might not notice them at first, once you do notice them you can't unnotice them.

Hussar

Legend
I don't hate the balor, just, don't love it either. This is a pretty iconic critter, and I think he could have been done better. IMO, it's the pose. Too .... bland. He's just kinda standing there. Look at the Pit Fiend pose - action shot. This is a guy who's going to come and kick your ass.

The balor is doing a Superman pose. "Look at my chest!" Paint a big S on it and there you go.

Not a bad shot, I just compare the Balor to Swinkle's Tarrasque and think it comes up short. The Big T has a background and he's destroying the countryside. The Balor is too static.

DandD

First Post
20080430_114780_0.jpg

The Dark One... A native to the Shadowfell

Okay, what do you think of that thingie?

Remove ads