• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Damage novas you ran into during play that surprised you

Larac

First Post
Played a pick up game, the 2 Fighters were made by players, as was the thief.
My poor Cleric was so under gunned it was quite sad. Mine was pregen of course.

Fighter 2 Weapon fighting with the feat.
Fighter Bow User with Sharpshooter.
Thief Bow user with Sharpshooter.

If that had been my 1st game I might never have played again.
All just 1st level, but I had to keep my heals ready if they messed up, no fun at all.

Larac

First Post
At first you really can not blow the heal to do that though. With only 2 spells.

Where the others can do 20 dam hit after hit.

I am sure it gets better later, like I said glad it was not my first game.

aramis erak

Legend
I've seen a third level sorcerer do wonders with a 2nd level thunderwave. 3d8 force in a 15x15' cube. got a 24, and had multiple zombies in reach.

My 3rd level cleric did 8d10 Necrotic with a crit on a second level inflict wounds. (Damage was only in the low 40's.) Didn't quite kill the gargoyle... but did make him crunchy enough for the rogue to smash.

DaveDash

Explorer
Hold Person + Paladin smite + Great Weapon Master. I think this was 12d6+21d8+45
Hold Person + Scorching Ray at 8th level up close. 36d6 or something.

I've also hit a player with a CR14 monster for 117 damage on a critical.

Disagree that spells are the big damage dealers. Paladins + Fighters are. I've also done 150-160 DPR with a Battlemaster Fighter with bless, sharpshooter, etc, but I wouldn't say that's surprising.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
Hold Person + Paladin smite + Great Weapon Master. I think this was 12d6+21d8+45
Hold Person + Scorching Ray at 8th level up close. 36d6 or something.

I've also hit a player with a CR14 monster for 117 damage on a critical.

Disagree that spells are the big damage dealers. Paladins + Fighters are. I've also done 150-160 DPR with a Battlemaster Fighter with bless, sharpshooter, etc, but I wouldn't say that's surprising.

+1 I wish people woud stop focusing on the spell casters are uber mentality. Even fire Sorcerers, damage focused warlocks, and invokers are trailing the martials in damage (except for AoE).

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
+1 I wish people woud stop focusing on the spell casters are uber mentality. Even fire Sorcerers, damage focused warlocks, and invokers are trailing the martials in damage (except for AoE).

Spellcasters are uber. Damage is not everything.

What have I seen from casters?

1. Banished four yugoloths in two rounds. Two mezzoloths and two nycaloths with two spells.

2. Killed four mummies with a fireball.

3. Protected the party from getting destroyed by dragons with a wall of force and stopped the dragon from getting a really important item.

4. Teleported us around for easy travel.

5. Killed a wizard 60 hit points in one round with animate objects 10 darts, and a fire bolt. Nearly killed a young dragon solo using the same strategy in a round or two.

6. Used hold person and hold monster to set up rounds of auto-crits by martials.

7. Used mass suggestion to make a bunch of dragon cultists useless.

8. Flaming Sphere used to narrow hallway and prevent monsters from massing against us

9. Used minor illusion and stealth to scout nearly as well as the rogue.

10. Hypnotic Pattern used to turn fights trivial as we kill things piecemeal.

11. Charm person for interrogation.

12. Dimension door used to transport martials into hard to reach areas for battle.

13. fly has been a near requirement for fighting dragons with minimal ranged attack power.

Casters can do so much more than martials. Damage is important, but casters by far bring more to the table. It would be completely unfair to give casters the same damage as martials along with everything else they bring to the table.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads