• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Damage novas you ran into during play that surprised you

Sacrosanct

Legend
Well, maybe surprise isn't the best word. More like, "Holy bejebus, you just did a buttload of damage". Not necessarily things you planned on doing beforehand, but during actual game play scenarios and combos that resulted in a ton of damage where you pretty much blew your wad in one round. Also not interested in theoretical or white room combos---those have been done to death. I'm more interested in your in-game experiences.

Also not counting spells, as they are designed to be damage heavy--like the sorcerer's ability to reroll damage dice.

So......that being said, here are some that have come up in our games. Again, most were not planned like this during chargen or advancement, but just sort of happened, being inspired by the particular situation we were in.

1. BM fighter. This is probably the most obvious. I had a halfling BM fighter at level 5 who went nova with all of his BM maneuvers along with action surge in one round. It was crazy.
2. BM fighter + paladin. Commander's strike from the fighter combined with the paladin's smiting was also crazy. My 7th level paladin used all 3 of his 2nd level spells and 1 of his 1st level in one round (TWF). Not counting his normal weapon damage and ability mod, damage that round was increased by 12d8 (11 from smite +1 from fighter's SD).
3. Monk multiclass with fighter. monk5/f2. As a human, I had magic initiate as a 1st level feat, and had chose Hex as my 1st level spell. When action surge was used, 12d6 damage, not counting ability mod damage. 1d6 for each of the 6 attacks (2 normal+2 for action surge+2 bonus for flurry), plus 1d6 from hex for each of the 6 attacks. And unlike the above, where it was blown in one round, every round after was still 8d6 (4d6 for attacks +4d6 for hex).

What sort of combos have you guys and ladies seen in actual play?

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Let me see.

Regularly? The Action Surge with Great Weapon Mastery, Reckless, and bless with Superiority Dice and a +1 sword. I think he did 184 plus damage in one round. I think he had a crit or two and rolled well. It was six attacks and a bonus action attack due to the crit on one target. He regularly did 150 plus with the combination, over 200 against dragons due to having a dragon slaying sword.

With a spell? I believe the bard's 5th level chromatic orb crit. It did 68 points of damage or something. Saved our asses at the time.

I think a paladin smiting with a crit. I think he did a 90 or 100 point single hit. He rolled really well. It was an impressive smite. Most powerful single blow I've seen rolled. He had some good rounds smiting.

One of my players is running a warlock/fighter right now. We'll see if he can match the Battle-master GWF for burst damage with eldritch blast. I don't think he can, but who knows.

cdavis77

First Post
In a campaign right now, at level 3 our Lvl3 Drow magic user used wild magic with his initial spell. When he rolled for the wild magic it hit on "Do 25 damage to up to the enemies"

At level 3, he ended up doing about 32-33 damage to EACH of the 3 hags we were fighting. Until that point we were getting beat up pretty badly.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Our ranger/fighter is the usual spike-dealer, but our fighter, our fighter/rogue, and our paladin have all had their moments in the sun.

I was particularly proud of a well-placed hypnotic pattern while fighting on flying dragonback against a group of young dragons - terminal velocity didn't kill the thing, but 20d6 damage from a single 3rd-level spell slot is nothin' to sneeze at, and was rather delightful to inflict!

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
Fighter action surged with 2 hand crossbows and had 7 attacks using the sharphooter feat. 1d6+17X7 as they all hit using a +2 hand crossbow.

Malovaan

First Post
Isn't a "combo", but our frenzied L3 barbarian managed to put 39 damage onto an opponent in one round, we thought that was pretty remarkable!

cmad1977

Hero
I'm regularly surprised by the amount of damage the hunter ranger in the group I run does. He doesn't seem to do one spectacular blow, but the regularity and amount of his damage surprises me.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I wouldn't really call it a "nova", but scoring a crit with a wraith and then seeing the PC fail his Con save ends up being a lot of effective damage. Let's just say that half-orc rogue went from hero to zero in no time flat.

Rhenny

Adventurer
I wouldn't really call it a "nova", but scoring a crit with a wraith and then seeing the PC fail his Con save ends up being a lot of effective damage. Let's just say that half-orc rogue went from hero to zero in no time flat.

Oh yeah. Wraiths scare the heck out of my players.

Remove ads