D&D General Dan Rawson Named New Head Of D&D

Hasbro has announced a former Microsoft digital commerce is the new senior vice president in charge of Dungeons & Dragons. Dan Rawson was the COO of Microsoft Dynamics 365. Hasbro also hired Cynthia Williams earlier this year; she too, came from Microsoft. Of Rawson, she said "We couldn’t be bringing on Dan at a better time. With the acquisition of D&D Beyond earlier this year, the digital...

Hasbro has announced a former Microsoft digital commerce is the new senior vice president in charge of Dungeons & Dragons. Dan Rawson was the COO of Microsoft Dynamics 365.

wotc-new-logo-3531303324.jpg

Hasbro also hired Cynthia Williams earlier this year; she too, came from Microsoft. Of Rawson, she said "We couldn’t be bringing on Dan at a better time. With the acquisition of D&D Beyond earlier this year, the digital capabilities and opportunities for Dungeons & Dragons are accelerating faster than ever. I am excited to partner with Dan to explore the global potential of the brand while maintaining Hasbro’s core value as a player-first company.”

Rawson himself says that "Leading D&D is the realization of a childhood dream. I’m excited to work with Cynthia once again, and I’m thrilled to work with a talented team to expand the global reach of D&D, a game I grew up with and now play with my own kids.”

Interestingly, Ray Wininger -- who has been running D&D for the last couple of years -- has removed mention of WotC and Hasbro from his Twitter bio.

I'm impressed Dan Rawson was a Marine and has a lot of global, not just American experience. He's been playing D&D from childhood, but I do wish we had some actual RPG products of his too look at to gage him. Still impressive background, except for no RPG dev experience, which is the only concerning wrinkle. I'd be more worried if he was a designer himself about not having any RPG writing under his belt, but he's an exec so having his general D&D experience is really just a bonus.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
So did you consider 4e Essentials a new core?
It was compatible, but it also could completely replace the original 4e core going forward, so yes. Less so than the upcoming 6e though, since that is explicitly designed to replace the existing 5e core.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
What did it replace? The core rules were the same and it offered new classes...
You could play Essentials without once cracking open the 2009 4e core. You didn't have to, by any means, and it was compatible, but you absolutely could. That makes it more than just a supplement to my mind.

Remove ads

Remove ads