D&D General Dan Rawson Named New Head Of D&D

Hasbro has announced a former Microsoft digital commerce is the new senior vice president in charge of Dungeons & Dragons. Dan Rawson was the COO of Microsoft Dynamics 365. Hasbro also hired Cynthia Williams earlier this year; she too, came from Microsoft. Of Rawson, she said "We couldn’t be bringing on Dan at a better time. With the acquisition of D&D Beyond earlier this year, the digital...

Hasbro has announced a former Microsoft digital commerce is the new senior vice president in charge of Dungeons & Dragons. Dan Rawson was the COO of Microsoft Dynamics 365.

wotc-new-logo-3531303324.jpg

Hasbro also hired Cynthia Williams earlier this year; she too, came from Microsoft. Of Rawson, she said "We couldn’t be bringing on Dan at a better time. With the acquisition of D&D Beyond earlier this year, the digital capabilities and opportunities for Dungeons & Dragons are accelerating faster than ever. I am excited to partner with Dan to explore the global potential of the brand while maintaining Hasbro’s core value as a player-first company.”

Rawson himself says that "Leading D&D is the realization of a childhood dream. I’m excited to work with Cynthia once again, and I’m thrilled to work with a talented team to expand the global reach of D&D, a game I grew up with and now play with my own kids.”

Interestingly, Ray Wininger -- who has been running D&D for the last couple of years -- has removed mention of WotC and Hasbro from his Twitter bio.

Iamoutofhere

Explorer
Hmm…how did 4th edition fail? They tried to make it more like a computer game. Wow, 5th Edition is a success…I know…let’s hire a bunch of Microsoft computer folk and make it more like a computer game….that’ll work out great!

Last edited:

You could play Essentials without once cracking open the 2009 4e core. You didn't have to, by any means, and it was compatible, but you absolutely could. That makes it more than just a supplement to my mind.
You could also use Essentials characters with the 2009 PHB (+errata) and the game would play the same as if you were using the game rules in the Essentials box. So I'd call Essentials a supplement+rules reprint. Everything you need to play the game in one set, but it didn't replace any existing products.

So quite different from how we expect the 2024 PHB will replace the 2014 PHB, even if the changes aren't massive.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
🤷‍♂️
"Edition change" hasn't meant what you apparently think it means for quite some time now. All of the "full edition changes" in the past 20ish years have been way more substantially different from the previous editions than the OneD&D playtest is from original 5e.
How much value is there in comparing the amount of changes in a core set of three books vs. a 10 page document? 3.0 to 3.5 didn't reshuffle the entire spell list from 6-7 piles into 3....but nobody even knows if that's a thing that will stick around longer than a month.

It's simply too early to say how big a change is brewing.

Jagga Spikes

Explorer
Hmm…how did 4th edition fail? They tried to make it more like a computer game. Wow, 5th Edition is a success…I know…let’s hire a bunch of Microsoft computer folk and make it more like a computer game….that’ll work out great!
Note that 2022 is not 2008. Vtt producer/consumer ecosystem has been steadily growing. And with everything becoming a service, it's easy to imagine DnD going that way.

Remove ads

Remove ads