Daredevil Season 4 under development for Disney+

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
af96347aa8e1c705c8897e9fd525c8b9.gif
Ugh. The whole “one bad day” thing is so edgelord I can’t even enjoy the well-acted character.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
And yes more Iron Fist, but only if they replace him...

They already did. What do you think Shang-Chi was? They won't bother using the Iron Fist name, but the character abilities are close enough for government work.

Iron Fist is a golden opportunity to tell stories about cultural clash and appropriation, or to adjust the Marvel continuity and make the Iron Fist multicultural at its root. Either one would have been a decent call, but they didn't do either.

I was actually fine with the actor. I think the character was written poorly.

Ryujin

Legend
They already did. What do you think Shang-Chi was? They won't bother using the Iron Fist name, but the character abilities are close enough for government work.

Which is a shame. Iron Fist is a golden opportunity to tell stories about cultural clash and appropriation, or to adjust the Marvel continuity and make the Iron Fist multicultural at its root. Either one would have been a decent call, but they didn't do either.

Shang Chi is his own discrete character from the "Master of Kung Fu" comics run. The '70s were huge on Kung Fu and Marvel wanted to cash in on the movie trend, so they had multiple martial artists.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Shang Chi is his own discrete character from the "Master of Kung Fu" comics run.

I am fully aware. But, in the MCU, he has been repositioned from his spy/detective story roots to become "martial artist from a secret city with the power to hit really hard". In terms of powers and skillset, you can slot him in almost any Iron Fist story and have it work out okay. I am sure that is no accident.

Ryujin

Legend
I am fully aware. But, in the MCU, he has been repositioned from his spy/detective story roots to become "martial artist from a secret city with the power to hit really hard". In terms of powers and skillset, you can slot him in almost any Iron Fist story and have it work out okay. I am sure that is no accident.
Well, to be fair, he always could hit really hard and as a master of Chi, has some almost magical abilities. Certainly the ability to exceed human norms. Like Luke Cage, he was also part of "Heroes for Hire."

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle

Iron Fist is a golden opportunity to tell stories about cultural clash and appropriation, or to adjust the Marvel continuity and make the Iron Fist multicultural at its root. Either one would have been a decent call, but they didn't do either.

Well I definitely disagree with the first part. Shang-Chi stands on his own, he’s not a replacement for a Netflix show character marvel proper had relatively little hand in. (Remember marvel Netflix was doing its own thing) And I rather doubt that Shang-Chi will ever be part of the Defenders, if that were to make a comeback.

As to the rest, I mostly agree. The actor was fine, though not super believable as an expert martial artist. The writing sucked (mostly just for him, oddly), and they missed some big opportunities to do something interesting.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Well, to be fair, he always could hit really hard and as a master of Chi

Like most characters in comics, Shang-Chi has experienced power bloat over time. Originally (in 1973) he had no supernatural powers to speak of - he could hit as hard as a very highly trained human. He didn't need much more than that, because he was in spy stories. As those spy stories lost popularity, the character was moved more into the superhero gig, and his powers grew, to the point where he could go one-on one with Ares and the Thing.

Like Luke Cage, he was also part of "Heroes for Hire."

Well, Heroes for Hire was established in 1978. Shang-Chi joined the ranks in 2006, nearly 30 years later, when Luke and Danny weren't on the team.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Ugh. The whole “one bad day” thing is so edgelord I can’t even enjoy the well-acted character.
I know lots of folks dont dig the Punisher. My favorite comics as a kid were actually the ones where Punisher ended up in spidey and friends way. The contrast between hero and anti-hero always made for interesting stories Maybe, it just split up the same ol same ol villain and hero dynamic.

I do think Jon Bernthal is the best to play Punisher. I didn't care much for season 1 to be honest. Though, I thought season 2 was some of the best Marvel Netflix up there with the best of Daredevil. Maybe the best comeback is just to appear in some Daredevil?

Remove ads