Daredevil Season 4 under development for Disney+

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
And I rather doubt that Shang-Chi will ever be part of the Defenders, if that were to make a comeback.

I don't think the Defenders will be a thing, though with Daredevil getting another season on Disney+, I think we can expect to see some of the others back in action soon, too, between Daredevil and Echo putting New York City street level heroes back on the map.

But, rather the point was that the iconic type of the two characters in the MCU is so similar (power set, secret city, conflict with an Asian-based criminal organization, connection with dragons) that it is pretty clear that Shang-Chi was set up to take the Iron Fist's slot anywhere they really wanted to use Iron Fist. And Simu Liu is not above doing TV work.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
He makes a fine antagonist. But murderous anti-hero protagonists send rather the wrong message these days.
My first thought was have you seen just about any movie not Marvel recently? Then, I remember the Marvel part and agree the Punisher has an unusual place in the mix and likely always will.

Awesome!

It seems a no-brainer that Matt Murdock will show up in She-Hulk.

Looks like the cameo in Spider-Man: No Way Home (and his rumored cameo coming up in She-Hulk) is paying off! :)

While I agree that Jon Bernthal did a good job in the role, there's no getting around the fact that the Punisher is a problematic character, especially now, for a multitude of reasons.

I'd be happier with no more punisher ever, but I can ignore him easily enough. Just don't ever make him the central issue of a season of the show of a character I actually care about.

Unf! Those fights were just jaw-dropping. A bunch of other shows around that time tried to replicate them, but fell short.

More corridor fights? Yes please!

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
My first thought was have you seen just about any movie not Marvel recently?

I'm not a fan of revenge action movies, if that's what you're asking. Keanu Reeves is an awesome dude, but I have no interest in John Wick.

Then, I remember the Marvel part and agree the Punisher has an unusual place in the mix and likely always will.

And specifically, the Punisher has a really awkward position in a nation with frequent cases of dudes dressing up in paramilitary gear and shooting civilians.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I'm not a fan of revenge action movies, if that's what you're asking. Keanu Reeves is an awesome dude, but I have no interest in John Wick.
Yeap.
And specifically, the Punisher has a really awkward position in a nation with frequent cases of dudes dressing up in paramilitary gear and shooting civilians.
I'll be honest, I think Punisher media is the least of concerns about that. Though, I am steering clear of politics on this one.

Ryujin

Legend
Awesome!

It seems a no-brainer that Matt Murdock will show up in She-Hulk.
I think that he was already shown in one of the trailers, but I could be wrong.
While I agree that Jon Bernthal did a good job in the role, there's no getting around the fact that the Punisher is a problematic character, especially now, for a multitude of reasons.
Mostly people appropriating his name and symbol for reasons that the character wouldn't support, but discussing that way leads to moderation.
Unf! Those fights were just jaw-dropping. A bunch of other shows around that time tried to replicate them, but fell short.
How they were generally done in one cut was mind numbing. I can't imagine the number of takes.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I don't think the Defenders will be a thing, though with Daredevil getting another season on Disney+, I think we can expect to see some of the others back in action soon, too, between Daredevil and Echo putting New York City street level heroes back on the map.

But, rather the point was that the iconic type of the two characters in the MCU is so similar (power set, secret city, conflict with an Asian-based criminal organization, connection with dragons) that it is pretty clear that Shang-Chi was set up to take the Iron Fist's slot anywhere they really wanted to use Iron Fist. And Simu Liu is not above doing TV work.
That's a pretty broad definition needed to put them in the same spot. I just don't think you're on track, here.

They did Shang-Chi because the character is cool, they needed to improve representation in the MCU, and the character is a good fit for whatever replaces the avengers in the next phase. Iron Fist doesn't factor into it. I very strongly doubt they've given any significant thought to Iron Fist at all.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I know lots of folks dont dig the Punisher. My favorite comics as a kid were actually the ones where Punisher ended up in spidey and friends way. The contrast between hero and anti-hero always made for interesting stories Maybe, it just split up the same ol same ol villain and hero dynamic.

I do think Jon Bernthal is the best to play Punisher. I didn't care much for season 1 to be honest. Though, I thought season 2 was some of the best Marvel Netflix up there with the best of Daredevil. Maybe the best comeback is just to appear in some Daredevil?
HE's a really good actor, I would be happy for Punisher fans if he got a movie. I just won't be watching it.

Remove ads