Dark Days in Sion - Act 2: Scene 2

97mg

Explorer
Wrenwil

The day was dragging on.

Wrenwil was feeling the fatigue of stinking heat and constant action gnawing away at him. It had been a shock, going from first class passage to stranded on a road with a witless bunch of varied fools. What was worse... he was one of them, and he was getting grumpy.

Thank Pentos that the knight had spoken his mind, a little jest at the dwarves, a subtle prick to their ego. ~Don't judge a man's ego by his tallness~, Wren thought to himself. Kryslogious was turning out to be a perfect companion. Strong of heart and voice, strong of sword, and now... free to speak his own mind.

As such, the old cleric let the knight do the honors, standing quietly, waiting to see if they took the bait.

Maybe Ordechai had a plan... a poisonous blade perhaps? Whatever... Pentos had gifted the man life, spared him, and from here on that fate lay in Ordechai and Bax's hands. They would need to control themselves.

Luckily, thoughts and speak of the Tome kept Wrenwil's mind busy, a wondrous distraction from sun, dwarves and other annoyances. He turned to his friend, "translation? If it pleases you, if it helps you in some way small or large, then the honor would be mine. I'm no linguist or expert in literature, but I love a good read, and can certainly understand a text or two." He finished it off with a wink, a friendly sign that Wrenwil was in.

narayan

Explorer
Alic, Bax, Kryslogious, Malic, Ordechai, Wrenwil

Bax settles on a wickedly ornate, kriss-bladed dagger with a red-boned handle.

Ordechai: hmphs "So, you choose that one... I might have guessed. That dagger is named 'Blood-licker'. It was allegedly used by a cult of demon worshipers to sacrifice their victims, with a handle made from a Babau's bones."

Malic:
Exlaims
"You've got to be joking! How can you carry such items?"

Ordechai: Shrugs "I said it was allegedly used in that fashion. A merchant may never know the truth behind such claims, but certain customers will pay a lot more if they believe it."

Malic: Spits into the sand showing his distaste for such practices. "Fine! If the gobiln wants to be free, so bet it... but it better be on its best behavior!"

Meanwhile Alic regards Kryslogious with some amusement.

Alic: "Your never gonna clean the blade properly that way!" He says chidingly, tossing the Chivalan a waterskin, a cloth and a bit of raw leather. "Use that for now... once we stop at nightfall I'll loan you my sharpening stone and polishing kit if need be."

Now at last your group sets off trailing the rest of the caravan. Ordechai grows quiet, perhaps depressed, consumed with his own thoughts. Bax on the other hand appears to be full of energy and new found enthusiasm. He darts between everyone, making strange and awkward small talk. The mind of the goblin after all doesn't lend itself easily to pleasantries. Mostly he hangs back by Ordechai's side, giving the dwarves dirty looks while caressing the handle of his new found blade. The dwarves meanwhile speak to each other in their native tongue in low voices not easily overheard.

You take rest at midday to eat. Ordechai has plenty of rations in his supplies to share, though the dwarves keep to their own supplies and ask for nothing extra. After midday it grows hot, and to remain completely comfortable and hydrated you have to take occasional detours back to the river to refill your water skins. As it is still spring, the sun sets a couple hours earlier in the evening so the caravan beings to slow to make camp around 6pm. You'd guess you've made about twenty miles distance so far on foot. If all goes well tomorrow you should be able to do 24 miles.

Malic says you will set up camp close to the larger caravan, but not among them as he does not care for the company of slavers.

[Everyone: What do you do to prepare to make camp?]

97mg

Explorer
Wrenwil

~At last some rest!~

As dusk approached, it sure was nice to stop and contemplate on the last twenty four hours. Wrenwil hummed a melodic little tune as he chose a good flat patch of earth, not too close to the road, not too close to the slavers, and a position from which he and the knight could keep an eye on things. He flopped the bedroll out of his pack upon the ground and gave it a few taps, dislodging dust and sand acquired through travel.

He looked to Kryslogious, wondering if he might have brought any camping gear. Given the man's swift arrival, it was likely we might have had no idea where his calling had hailed from.

"It could be a long night my friend, you are welcome to share in any minor comforts I can provide on this confounded road." He patted the bedroll to his side, "come, sit, rest a while, we should talk."

"I do not trust these men, and furthermore it would not surprise me if that eel, Garrisan, might try and return to finish his work, no doubt when we least expect it. We should keep watch tonight, half a night each if you do not object? Until then we should eat, and I will see if we can make a start on this translation perhaps? First though, as the sun is setting, I must pray a while. You are welcome to join me should you desire. Are you wounded friend? I should help you now before we pray."

Ersun

He listens while idly cleaning the blood from his blade.
“First things first...” he asks his questions.

Once he receives answers, he responds to Ania:
“Even if we would let you be I doubt crusher would appreciate such a security breach. You would have to make up a story for your eye after all, and I am not sure you would pass. Not that we can trust you and let you be as if nothing happened anyway.” he begins to explain the goblin’s situation calmly, if somewhat coldly. “Bringing you with us would raise suspicion that we best avoid right now.” then he turns towards Ania. “Unless you have someone we could take him to?” His face doesn’t show much trust in the probability of that, but he still asks anyway.

narayan

Explorer
Ania, Ersun, Hakal, Vakus

Results of your Questions___________________

- is he hiding anything else on himself? Answer: No
- or in the quarters? Answer: No
- or knowledge that endangers them? Answer: No
- What is the potion? Answer: Potion of See Invisibility
- What is the other vial? Answer: Vial of poison, Carrion Crawler Brain Juice
- what is the arcane scroll good for? Answer: Scroll of Identify + Charm Person
- what does the wand do? Answer: Wand of Hold Person
- Why would the potion be used on them now if it wasn’t during earlier visits of Ania? Answer: He doesn't know.

Ania: Chuckles with dark humor "I'm not sure what you mean? As a warmage I shouldn't be seen anywhere near this goblin or any other underworld type that works for Crusher. If I am found out for what I am, my father may not even be able to save me! ...Besides, even if I was willing to hide him somewhere, what good would it do? He seems certain that Aesedai will know of his betrayal as soon as he goes to sleep..." She paused while she looks at Vakus with curiosity. "What do you think will happen when she does find out?"

Vakus: "She has dark powers! Demon blood!" He says speaking with a manic tone with lots of spittle for emphasis. "She'll kill me!"

Ania: "If I were you I'd have reported her to Crusher immediately. As someone who claimed to be 'his most loyal gatekeeper', your loyalty seems rather fragile to me. What was she offering you in exchange for your help?"

Vakus: "It wasn't like that!" he exclaims defensively. "At first I just felt like I wanted to help her, like she was someone I implicitly trusted. I couldn't explain it at the time, but I didn't think anything was wrong with me. I thought that helping her was helping Crusher because he appears to hold her in high favor. It was only when I started to question my actions that the dark thoughts came..." He says bitterly.

Ania: "I wonder if that's her way of covering her tracks?" Ania speculated. "If you start acting crazy and not like yourself, no one would heed any accusations you made. Still if you had the courage to report her by now you'd probably still have both eyes!"

Vakus: "Don't patronize me!" He spits. "I've served crusher much longer than you. You've seen what he's capable of! Would you have the courage to admit betrayal to him and expect forgiveness?!"

Ania: "It's not just about you, Crusher must be warned! And I know exactly how to do it..." She says reaching into her robes to produce one of the sending stones he gave her.

[Ersun: What do you do?]

Last edited:

Shun001

Explorer
Kryslogious

Meanwhile Alic regards Kryslogious with some amusement.

Alic: "Your never gonna clean the blade properly that way!" He says chidingly, tossing the Chivalan a waterskin, a cloth and a bit of raw leather. "Use that for now... once we stop at nightfall I'll loan you my sharpening stone and polishing kit if need be."

Krylogious nods and thanks Alic "Unfortunately I did not get a choice on what I brought over, but this sword has been my partner for many years now"

Now at last your group sets off trailing the rest of the caravan. Ordechai grows quiet, perhaps depressed, consumed with his own thoughts. Bax on the other hand appears to be full of energy and new found enthusiasm. He darts between everyone, making strange and awkward small talk. The mind of the goblin after all doesn't lend itself easily to pleasantries. Mostly he hangs back by Ordechai's side, giving the dwarves dirty looks while caressing the handle of his new found blade. The dwarves meanwhile speak to each other in their native tongue in low voices not easily overheard.

You take rest at midday to eat. Ordechai has plenty of rations in his supplies to share, though the dwarves keep to their own supplies and ask for nothing extra. After midday it grows hot, and to remain completely comfortable and hydrated you have to take occasional detours back to the river to refill your water skins. As it is still spring, the sun sets a couple hours earlier in the evening so the caravan beings to slow to make camp around 6pm. You'd guess you've made about twenty miles distance so far on foot. If all goes well tomorrow you should be able to do 24 miles.

Malic says you will set up camp close to the larger caravan, but not among them as he does not care for the company of slavers.

[Everyone: What do you do to prepare to make camp?]

~At last some rest!~

As dusk approached, it sure was nice to stop and contemplate on the last twenty four hours. Wrenwil hummed a melodic little tune as he chose a good flat patch of earth, not too close to the road, not too close to the slavers, and a position from which he and the knight could keep an eye on things. He flopped the bedroll out of his pack upon the ground and gave it a few taps, dislodging dust and sand acquired through travel.

He looked to Kryslogious, wondering if he might have brought any camping gear. Given the man's swift arrival, it was likely we might have had no idea where his calling had hailed from.
Kryslogious grabbed the strapped full plate armor off the side of the Dwarfs pony when Wrenwil called out to him.
"It could be a long night my friend, you are welcome to share in any minor comforts I can provide on this confounded road." He patted the bedroll to his side, "come, sit, rest a while, we should talk."
Giving a nod he strolls over to him and places the armor beside the bedroll. It felt good to get off his feet after a long march.
"I do not trust these men, and furthermore it would not surprise me if that eel, Garrisan, might try and return to finish his work, no doubt when we least expect it."
Kryslogious respectfully replies "I feel we could do more good then harm appealing to the Dwarves. I do not perceive them to be a threat given their background and Alic's sincerity. Garrison on the other hand could be a bother, I have confidence in my skill to take him out but he is destructive enough to harm others before I can react."
"We should keep watch tonight, half a night each if you do not object?"
Kryslogious nods to the idea. "that would be wise, we could share one bedroll, I suggest we pair ourselves with a dwarf to show good will and to have another set of eyes, Hopefully Ordechai stays put and sleeps with Bax so there is no extra variables."
we should eat, and I will see if we can make a start on this translation perhaps? First though, as the sun is setting, I must pray a while. You are welcome to join me should you desire. "

Kryslogious prays with Wrenwil and enjoys a simple meal of grains and preserved fruits. Afterwords Kryslogious states"Help me don my armor, I will take first watch. You can rest and regain your holy power."

Krysloguous suits up, staring at his helm he looks intently at its face as if it were his own. He then places it on his head tightening the latch belts. He proposed his idea to the dwarves and awaited their response.

Last edited:

narayan

Explorer
Alic, Bax, Kryslogious, Malic, Oredechai, Wrenwil

Malic: Speaks up. "We'll eat supper first and ask our questions of Ordechai afterward. Ordechai, you are not to leave camp unless one of us accompanies you. I don't care if you are only taking a piss, no exceptions!"

Odechai nods curtly and busies himself unloading the hogs which is no small task. The dwarves meanwhile go about unpacking bedrolls and supplies from their tired ponies before they are hobbled and staked. Alic places a shallow iron bowl the size of a small shield upon ground, above which they erect a metal tripod. From the tripod they hang an iron pot and a kettle filling both with water. Malic places a few fist-sized stones with runes carved on them in the shallow iron bowl and mutters a command word. Immediately the stones begin to produce flame and Malic can apparently increase the intensity of the flame by repeating the command word. He does so until the fire is hot enough to get the water boiling quickly.

Ordechai also hobbles and stakes his beasts before he goes about erecting his tent. The dwarves prepare a stew tossing in dried meat, potatoes and grain.

[Wrenwil: What do you do?]

Ersun

He shrugs at the goblin’s fate. He goes closer to Ania and speaks to her quietly.

“I would kill him and be done with it. Crusher will torture him for information and then kill him. I leave the decision up to you, but in your stead I would be careful not to dedicate myself too far to any faction. It won’t do you any good.”

He taps his pockets and glances over his belongings and all the items he packed away from Vakus.

“We will meet as planned.” He says and heads out to leave the place finally. To be honest he doesn’t want to deal with Crushers fits or outbursts, and since the young warmage got him into this part of the mess it should be fitting that she deals with it.

narayan

Explorer
Ania, Ersun, Vakus

Ania: "Wait just a moment Ersun..." She says before you open the other door and addresses the goblin once again. "Ersun is right, we have an important mission and we shouldn't waste any more time. Much as I might want too I won't punish you further. It isn't my place to do so..."

Vakus: Take a deep breath of relief.

Ania: "Is there another guard outside the other door?"

Vakus: "Yes, on the other side of the portal, you know how it works..." He answers.

Ania: Nods. "Goodbye Vakus. You should do as I suggest and beg for Crushers mercy. He may at least give you a quick death."

Vakus: Nods sadly.

Ania steps beside Ersun again and together you open the locks to the other door. This opens into a larger antechamber, like you might find behind a pair of large doors, except all you see is a shimmering blackness a few steps ahead of you.

Ania: Explains. "This is the portal that hides the entrance to Crushers domain. Once we step through, we'll be teleported to another location on the other side. Crusher moves the entrance to this portal as he see's fit to minimize the odds that his enemies can take advantage. I know where it is today because I used it to bring you here, but tomorrow it will be moved again... are you ready?"
She asks.

Remove ads