• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dark*Matter The Killing Jar

Sounds like I'm late for this particular party, but this last weekend I ran "Exit 23" at the Chicago gameday under d20 Modern rules. I went for a path of least resistance and just grafted d20 Call of Cthulhu Sanity on top of d20 Modern, which gives you quite easily the ability to use pyschic and magic FX, with a nice creepy feel to it.

Granted, we didn't actually use any FX, although if this was a campaign instead of a one-off "convention" game, we would have.

Last edited:

aurin777

First Post
So how did Exit 23 go? Think you could post the d20 modern conversions you did for exit 23 around here so I could take a gander at them? I was thinking of doing it this week, but if you already have, you'll save me some time :) Thanks a lot.
~~Brandon

It went really well; I've even started a story hour on the experience. One thing that I noticed d20 Modern lent to the game was a kind of pulp attitude; one player commented that the group was playing Dark*Matter like it was Feng Shui, and I think that was an apt comparison. Oddly enough, it kinda worked. Granted many characters almost died, and the whole thing could have ended halfway through if they'd kept pumping gas at an open flame right there in the middle of the truck stop!

Just about the only thing that needed converting was the Winter Demon, and I actually didn't do a full scale conversion after all. I gave him a +8 to his attack rolls, 35 hit points, d10+4 damage with d8 secondary cold damage, and DR 10/silver or fire. He was unassailable completely when not in physical form. He turned out to be quite a handful for six third level characters.

Remove ads