DARK - :p

DARK

When your grandfather was your age, the Empire spanned the continent. The roads between the farming communities and the cities where well maintained and patrolled. The monsters lived in the depths of the mountains and the dark recesses of the tanglewoods, and even then they were weak. Trade blossomed, the merchant class wielded the power of wealth, and the nobles’ largess was renowned. Colleges and churches were full of eager youngsters seeking learning and arts. It was the good old days.
Then the Empress was assassinated and civil war broke out. At first it was the military battles out on the battle plateaus, in keeping with the Tannahauser Accord. Then in desperation, Duke Leopold led his losing force into New Haven and took the citadel by force, killing all who were in his path. Blood was spilled in the streets and the cities became the battlegrounds. The warriors were too equal, so the Dukes turned to their advisors for power. Some asked for power regardless of the price. Alchemists brewed living death, cabals smithed eldritch weapons, and some called forth creatures from the depths of misery and pain.
Darkness spread across the empire, extinguishing the lights of one mighty city after another. The colleges and churches fell early. Ports and trade routes were next. Bridges and byways were destroyed. And then came the monsters. Out of the depths of the mountains, out of the dark recesses of the tanglewoods. Bigger and stronger than ever before.
In the aftermath, your grandfather helped carve out a small community in a relatively undamaged corner of what was once the Duchy of Cairn. Presumably other places like this one exist, hanging onto a fragile livelihood on the edge of destruction. There is time for naught but the work of keeping the community alive. Keep your eyes open, your blade sharp, and trust no-one whose mother you have not met. Stay away from the ruins, for things cling there. Magic is forbidden, for death always follows.
You have become one of the Walking Dead. Your funeral was a dreary affair, with fewer attending than you expected. It wasn't your choice, exactly. There was a lottery and your card was drawn. A child had come from outside, alone and starving, pleading for help. Jake killed her, of course. But now the town needs to know if there are others, and if anything is following her it will be up to you to draw its path away from here.
As your steps lead you over the rise, your eyes are drawn back to see the small grouping of houses, huddled against the oncoming night. It is the last time you will see this place. Your new brothers, continue down the path with a grim determination to make that Thing out there pay dearly for the lives that it took... The lives of the Walking Dead.

===============================
Campaign notes: This is a game set in 'OLD', with a distinctly gothic-horror theme. The characters start out knowing nothing of the dangers they face beyond the tales told by their elders.

Evil is. When a lesser Evil joins forces with a greater Evil, they both gain power. Lesser Evils can feel the presence of a greater Evil in a gravity-pull sort of way. The rites to become a Walking Dead imbue the character with a Taint of Evil, enabling them to feel that presence… but the cost is great. Evil is not more powerful or dangerous… it’s just easier. Easier to draw on the Taint and let it grow than to suppress it.
Your job is to hunt Evil, without becoming Evil. You are not governed by any mortal law nor holden to any liege. Your sole master is the destruction of evil, which will eventually mean your own destruction at your hands, the hands of your brothers, or , God willing, the claws of some Thing..

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Interesting. Are you creating a new PC race for this? I'm excited to see some of the mechanical stuff you devise!

Honestly this sprang from reading a National Geographic special edition on the Medieval Ages, tracing the history of the world from 500ad to around 1600ad. The 'Dark Ages' were a result of many things, but plagues brought in by the expansion of trade and the downfall of education were the two main culprits. I simply re-imagined a world in which the plague is not mundane disease but an affliction of the soul.

The mechanic I am playing around with is the use of 'Taint'. In its current, untested, form taint is a dice pool that an evil character gains and builds. This dice pool can be used as a stat for things like identifying the greater evils in the area based on their influence.. at first just direction, but with very good rolls be able to identify specifics.

The other, dangerous, use is to boost another stat for a short duration. A player can choose to use all or part of the Taint dice pool and chooses a stat. That stat is treated at one tier higher for the duration of the boost, which the Taint dice are used as a countdown for.
Each die in the Taint pool can only be used once per day.. per tier of the dice.. more on that shortly.

At the end of the countdown, the chosen stat returns to normal and the character has to make a WIL check with a DC of 5 plus the number of rounds of stat boost that day. Failure results in gaining a new Taint dice.

However, failure by 10 or more also means you lose a point from the stat you had just boosted. Good roleplaying descriptions should go with the loss.

In this way, Taint can make a character very powerful.. but only while relying on it.

I said 'the tier of the dice'.. yes. All PCs and most 'Things' will have 'starting' tier Taint. When aligned with a greater power, read 'higher tier Tainted one', the dice pool advances to the next tier. This is why lesser Evils seek alignment with greater Evils.. they actually become more powerful just by aligning with them.

As to what the 'Things' are, I am planning on using the DnD category of Aberrations as the jumping off point.. all the weird, mutated insanity that those entail. And Shades. Gotta have shades in a game titled 'DARK' :)

So, a plane ride gives time to consider evil and nasty things... I mean, what else to think of while trapped inside an aluminum flying coffin?

So, I thought I would look into mythology outside my normal world and meandered into the realm of Malaysian folklore. Weird stuff, but it gives me a grounding for the 'Things'.
Malai stories are filled with animistic spirits and elemental-ish demons, literally hundreds of unique versions.

Years ago I had a PC named 'Justin Cooper' and I worked up details for an EoM:R summoning system that didn't rely on summoning a specific creature. Melding these two {and adjusting for the game system} I get something like:

Minor: animist based spirits, dire creatures.. but mostly 'normal' threats. Avoid the sharp parts and you should be okay.

Weak: Still animist based, but infused with elemental powers. Includes homunculi

Moderate: humanoid based, with animist influence {Panyaden is a hyena-headed man} that have magical wards
Jembalang {Goblins. Gnomes}
Some of these are disease carriers along with the usual threats

Strong: 1) Elemental based: Hantu Air {water}, Hantu Lau {ocean}, Jembalang Tanah {Earth}, Hantu Ribit {storm}, etc..
2) 'Giants': Huta, the forest demon {12' tall humanoid}, The Hunter {with his three hellish dogs}

Major: Djin, Hantu Raya {The 'great ghost' that will draw lesser beings to its call}, Rakasha {probably won't use.. too specific}

The world is littered with the detritus of a demonic-summoning war.. with thousands of the Hantu lingering, feeding on the pain and anguish that is soaked into the essence of the century old battlefields. Mostly these creatures are content to remain where they are.. but sometimes they feel the need for fresh fear {and flesh}. The Major demons are intelligent enough to avoid notice, working to preserve their chosen grocery stores..., er, villages. This can mean clearing the area of competing demons.

The other demons tend to be more impulsive and less worried about tomorrow. These are the ones the Walking Dead will face. Perhaps venturing into one of the ruined cities and braving the dangers to get into a library, one might find ways to banish these demons back to whence they came. Of perhaps those brave souls that try will end up guarding the path against the next foolish mortals.

Remove ads