Dark Prophecy (an "Of Sound Mind" Storyhour) - FINALE! 3/29/05

R-Hero

Explorer
Ran this module myself and let me say that the 'Enhanced Horse' encounter was very well planned and written.

I could't wait to unleash the psionic horses on my players with 'bite of the wolf' but using ghost sound/ telepathic speech...wow! Very cool.

I could feel your characters "What the hell is going on" thought process building until Blaze let the cat out of the bag.

Huzzah!

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Random trivia: I almost made them psionic cows, but everyone told me that crossed the line from scary to stupid. This is why you should cherish your playtesters. :D

SolidSnake

First Post
R-Hero said:
Ran this module myself and let me say that the 'Enhanced Horse' encounter was very well planned and written.

I could't wait to unleash the psionic horses on my players with 'bite of the wolf' but using ghost sound/ telepathic speech...wow! Very cool.

I could feel your characters "What the hell is going on" thought process building until Blaze let the cat out of the bag.

Huzzah!

Thanks R-Hero for the kind words! This encounter was really a lot of fun and you are completely right, PC did a fantastic job laying out the buildup for the DM. The player of Saburo now refuses to ride horses with ANY character because of this...maybe I went too far:)

SolidSnake

First Post
Piratecat said:
Random trivia: I almost made them psionic cows, but everyone told me that crossed the line from scary to stupid. This is why you should cherish your playtesters. :D

I was going to re-write the previous posts with the cow motif for fun and got half way before I started crying from the laughter. Yeah, cows don't have that same...penache.

R-Hero

Explorer
Piratecat said:

If only you had, Saburo wouldn't be walking now...... :D

PirateCat, am i reading this right, did you have a hand in writing this module??

Last edited:

SolidSnake

First Post
Chapter 5

Flesh was rent from bone as Saburo futilely held his arm up to block the incoming attack. He turned to flee, not even pausing to look at that now useless appendage hanging at his side. Saburo felt another shudder of impact and the searing burn of pain across his back. His breath became labored as he staggered to the entrance of the barn.

“Help me,” he gasped.

Giyoshi had already began to run up to the doors of the stables, having heard the boy’s screams. The veteran’s eyes widened with shock at Saburo bloodied form.

“By the Kami, what has happened?!”

“Blaze…it was Blaze…,” Saburo rasped in between breaths.

“Quickly, get to the house,” Giyoshi commanded.

Saburo knew not how he had the strength to do so but he managed to reach the house before collapsing on one knee. Ren and Iriye, having heard the noise were already outside and rushed to meet him.

“Are you alright,” Ren asked hysterically.

Saburo was on the verge of explaining when a blood curdling scream ripped through the air. Everyone turned towards the barn in unison.

“Get…inside,” Saburo insisted feebly.

“Ren, take Saburo inside while I go find Kenichi.” Iriye’s look gave little room for argument.

Ren nodded and took Saburo inside. She quickly lay him down on the ground, headless of the trail of blood that he was leaving in their home. Dashing back and forth from room to room, she rummaged up some cloth she used to bind the gaping wounds in his back and left arm.

“Stay here, while I go see what is going on,” she said.

Saburo tried to say something to the contrary but his breath caught in his throat from the searing pain running through his body. He lay there for what seemed like an eternity…not moving. He shut his eyes and concentrated on something else, desperately struggling to forget the fact that he had nearly been eaten by a horse. Then something began to stir on the edge of his consciousness, telling him that things were very wrong. It was quiet. His ears began to hear the sounds of men striking earth, but there was something else…smaller steps, faster and lighter. Then a shadow past across the window in the common room. Then another. And another. Pretty soon he could not only hear them moving about the house, but he began to hear them speak. It was a foul high pitched nasal sound.

“REEEEEEEEEEEEEEN,” he screamed in warning.

A shriek filled the air, followed by the howls and yelps of monsters. Saburo got up from the floor. He knew that they would be after him soon and he was afraid. I’m no hero. He limped over to the window and began to scale the roof. The sounds of struggle ensued below. No doubt Kenichi attempting a useless stand against the swarm of Shadowspawn. His mind blocked it out. Crawling on his belly, he reached the center of the roof and stayed. Not moving, not making a sound. Some of the raucous yelping seemed to subside a bit after a while. However it was soon replaced by cries of pain as he heard the unmistakable sound of steel on bone.

“SHIN-EEEEEEE!!!!”

The battlecry was human for sure and was soon followed by a wave of screeching. Death had come. Soon a blanket of silence filled the air. Nothing stirred. Summoning the courage, he moved to the edge of the roof. The scene before him was ghastly. Laying about in various pieces were the bodies of the creatures he had heard swarming outside. They were as small as children, covered in a yellow fur, and gifted with long fangs and sharp claws. Their faces were bestial, and reminded Saburo of wild dogs. Standing in the midst of these bodies was a single man. His blades were undecorated and straight edged; no doubt a souvenir from the gaijin. He wore the skin of animals and allowed his facial hair to grow. His hair was unkempt and wild. And his eyes shined with primal fury. The man went immediately into a defensive stance, crossing his long and short blade in front of him and looking up at the roof.

“I see I did not get you all,” he growled.

“Wait,” Saburo screamed; his hand shooting out from the edge of the roof. “My name is Saburo and I am a friend of this household!”

“Look around you boy, there is no household.”

“What happened to Ren,” Saburo yelled from his perch.

“They took the young girl and the man. The older woman and man were killed. I secured their honor; however, by killing their assassins,” the strange man replied.

“They…took…Ren…they killed…Iriye,” Saburo repeated slowly.

“Get down from there boy,” the man commanded.

Saburo slowly made his way down the side of the building. The pain he felt before had been replaced by a void that he could not seem to fill. Looking about the battlefield, he saw the body of Iriye among those of the Shadowspawn. Something slammed against the wall he had placed around his emotions, fighting to get in. Finally he was overtaken in a maelstrom of feelings and broke down weeping. How disgraceful I am. A coward who fleed and because of that Ren’s mother is dead.

Something grabbed him by the back of the neck and wrenched him to his feet. The man who had slain half a dozen of these monsters looked him right in the eyes.

“Do not weep for them,” he hissed. “Men do not weep at the sight of death. Remember this scene. Remember the pain and use it when the time comes. You say you are a friend of these people. Prove it. Crying won’t bring them back, only you can do that. The tasloi are a vicious people. They move in droves from one mountain to the next feeding on human lives until there are no more. You think what happened to her is bad,” he said as he pointed to the body of Iriye. “Just think what will happen to that young girl if we don’t stop them quickly.”

The man walked a few paces and stopped. He didn’t bother to turn around as he spoke.

“So what are you Saburo? A boy or a man?”

He let the question linger a moment. “I have no use for children on this hunt. If you are a man, then you will pick up a weapon and fight. To hell with social grace and honor! I say honor is doing something instead of hiding behind formality. If you want to make a difference, meet me in the ruins of Old Town tomorrow at dawn.”

The man dropped a small and ornate wooden box at Saburo’s feet and began jogging away when the boy called out.

“What is your name?”

“Akira,” the man called back.

SolidSnake

First Post
Chapter 6

Saburo leaned over Giyoshi’s maimed body. He still clenched the naginata even in death, the blade sticking into Blaze’s corpse. He was a true soldier. A warrior. Taking a deep breath, Saburo freed the weapon. He had been told numerous times about the basic etiquette of the Empire. Everyone was born into their role…knew their places. Touching the dead was a position strictly for the Eta; they had no honor and consequently could do so. Taking a fallen man’s weapon was disgraceful in the eyes the Empire…only a Scorpion would so such a thing…or so he had been told. Words aren’t going to bring Ren back! Saburo heeded Akira’s advice and began to take various items from the stables he thought might be useful later. He stashed everything into a bag and set hid it half way between his house and the ruins of Old Town. He marked the position with a scarf.

On his way home, his thoughts began to ponder the day’s events. Akira was rumored to be a nomad…even in the standards of the Unicorn. He dressed in the hides of animals and fought with the weapons of the gaijin. He had been outside the Emerald Empire so many times people in the village wondered if actually was Rokugani any longer. Many say that he fought with the Hiruma in the Shadowlands. Others said he was a dangerous man not to be trusted. Most agreed; however, that he was a fine hunter and trapper and many winters would have been difficult without his help. This year was no exception. The salve the man had left with him completely sealed his wounds, making the conversation he was going to have with his parents a little easier. Though there were deep scars and blood on his clothes at least he wasn’t dying!

Upon arriving, Saburo explained the entire story to his parents. This lead to a whirlwind of activity. Not the least important of which was to report this matter to Goto and ultimately Prefect Ide Chuukun. The smooth diplomat immediately called up another Village Meeting with the Wyrm Call and proceeded to answer every question the audience threw at him. The conclusion of the meeting saw a definitive curfew installed for dusk, a doubling of patrols, the creation of various search parties, the promise of Ide Chuukun that the victims would be found and that the Liberation Festival would proceed as planned. The only bizarre question came from Utsuge, an old hermit that lived off by herself fin the ruins of Old Town. She asked what everyone thought of the dreams they were having recently. Chuukun immediately interceded with the idea that the various stresses the village has recently endured are no doubt causing troubled sleep for everyone. Many people were eager to agree with this answer, but some began accusing the calamities of the village upon Utsuge herself. If it upset her, she didn’t show it. Ide Chuukun was quick to point out that Utsuge’s “visions” were nearly never wrong and had always benefited the town in the past. He called upon her to make a prediction.

“Before a fortnight is done, we will see the end of these dreams once in for all.” The words hung in the air as she left meeting.

Never one to miss an opportunity, the Prefect used this prediction as a sign of good news and dispersed the remainder of the village’s concerns. Saburo took Yatsen aside and told him about his run in with Akira. He asked the young man to meet him in Old Town at dawn, just as Akira had instructed him. I hope you make it Yatsen.

Saburo used the remainder of the night to do what he was good at, making sake. After all, he had responsibilities to his father and he did not know how long he would be gone. Some of the “harder” sake he kept for himself. He filled the sturdier jugs with the substance and capped it all off with cloth soaked in the potion. I must use the only weapon at my disposal...my mind.

Sleep; it seemed, was becoming a luxury. The dream continued to haunt him and it was so vile this time that he awoke in the morning with a splitting headache. Brush aside the pain, he left the previously written note in the common room and made his way towards Old Town; picking up his satchel on the way there. Both Akira and Yatsen waited for him amongst the rubble. In a cleared patch at the dead center was a hut, presumably Utusge’s abode.

“You are late Saburo,” Akira said.

“I have no excuses to give,” Saburo replied angrily.

Akira smiled. “Good, you are learning it seems.”

“Come,” Akira said as he brushed aside the curtain of the hut and ushered them all inside.

The inside of the hut seemed larger than it should be. Circular shelves lined the canvas drape. They were filled with jars of various animal parts, bones, and herbs. A large firepit sat in the center of the room, with a gapping hole in the top to allow the smoke to escape. Utsuge, a withered old woman, dressed in a black kimono sat on the bare earth that blanketed the floor. Her eyes fixated on each of them as they entered. Akira immediately kneeled in front of the old woman, waiting expectantly for the other men to do the same. The old woman waited for what seemed like an eternity before speaking.

“Come to claim your part in history Akira?”

“I only seek to right the wrongs,” he replied firmly.

“Careful what you seek,” she warned.

“How can we help,” Yatsen blurted out.

Utsuge’s eyes turned to face him. “You? YOU, can do nothing. But together, perhaps everything. The Fortunes are aligning all around us; the time is nearly at hand.”

“Goto will not find them,” Akira said flatly. “He has read too much of the Crab. In order to hunt this kind of game, you must leave your shell. The tasloi are no doubt imbedded deep within the mountain. I have tracked the movements of this new tribe and assume that small contingent of kidnappers has rejoined its main force. The mountain; however is not so easily climbed.” The last part he said as he looked to the men flanking him.

“You speak the truth Akira,” Utsuge responded. “Climbing the face of the mountain would be foolish and lead to a quick death. The tasloi are a fearsome enemy on such terrain, but they are not students of history. They claim the lair of the once mighty Doushi.”

“That is what I feared. The Wyrm Path is difficult to climb and will take many days,” Akira muttered.

“Do you remember the history of this place,” Utsuge said as she directed her glances towards Saburo and Yatsen. “The story of the great heroes and how they killed the mighty Doushi?”

“Everyone does Utsuge-dono,” Yatsen said. “They battled through his minions, climbing the mountain to meet him in a final epic battle.”

“History has a way transforming events,” Utsuge sighed. “No one ever told you children whether the climb came from within the mountain or without.”

“A tunnel,” Akira uttered.

“But where might it be Utsuge-dono,” Saburo asked.

“These minions you said the heroes fought through…where were they stationed again,” Utsuge inquired playfully.

“They were all over the old Town, but most of them were-“

“-in the mine,” Saburo and Yatsen exclaimed at once.

“Then it seems as if I have very little left to offer you,” Utsuge declared. “Except this.”

The old seer pointed to a large chest near the gathered companions. She glided over towards where it was and opened it. She removed a number of items: 6 wrapped roots, 3 green fletched black arrows, a silver bracer decorated with engravings and a large sapphire, an elaborate wakazashi marked with the seal of the Unicorn, a simple child’s hand drum, and a regular bamboo flute.

“Disperse these among yourselves anyway you see fit.”

The arrows and 2 of the roots went to Akira, Yatsen received the Wakazashi and the flute, while Saburo took the drum and the bracer.

“The roots will heal your wounds; use them sparingly. Each of these items was at one point wielded by the Kamigishu. These are not gifts but a burden of responsibility; for it is you three who must bear it.”

They each bowed deeply and left the hut. Akira turned to Yatsen and Saburo who were busy admiring their new equipment.

“Now we must go on the hunt!”

SolidSnake

First Post
Oh you didn't know??!

R-Hero said:
If only you had, Saburo wouldn't be walking now...... :D

PirateCat, am i reading this right, did you have a hand in writing this module??

R-Hero, I just saw your edit after posting. Yes, Piratecat is the author of the module. If you check out his Storyhour, you will know this to be true;)

SolidSnake

First Post
Chapter 7

Akira had proven himself to be as swift and silent as a ghost despite his fervent concentration on the ground in front of him. It was inspiring to watch him move from one depression in the earth to the next, pausing only to confirm that the tasloi had indeed moved according to his predictions. Yatsen and Saburo tried for the first few hours to understand what the man was looking at, but gave up after many ineffectual efforts. No one complained when he called a halt at the base of the mountain.

“It was as I had always suspected,” Akira muttered. “The tasloi have made their way up the mountain side, taking the remnants of the old Wyrm Path. There are no tracks that lead to the Old Mine. This may be good, if we achieve the element of surprise.” Yatsen and Saburo barely had time to catch their breath as the ranger sped towards the entrance.

The once well worn road was badly overgrown with trees and vines, now covered in a blanket of snow making the entrance not immediately obvious. With some searching; however, the three men were able to clear the shroud of snow that enveloped the shaft.

“Strange,” Akira murmured.

The entrance to the Old Mines was clearly a pit that was not intended for use any longer. The 10-foot by 10-foot shaft was sealed in a copper plate that was bolted straight into the ground. Though, interestingly enough, one of the corners had been pried open and a rope been slung down into the shaft.

“This opening is not new. It has been here for many years, you can tell by the pattern of tarnish. The rope is new. It appears to have been placed here less than one half a lunar cycle.”

Akira leaned in to sniff the rope and withdrew with a disgusted grimace.

“The tasloi,” he snarled.

Saburo was about to ask how the man would know such a thing, but refrained as he was deathly afraid of the answer he might receive. I don't get it. Someone opened it years ago and left it like this? Who would have gone down in there? He watched Akira test the rope a few times before deciding it was safe. The man then began rigging a harness on a startled Saburo’s back. A long pole sat snuggly within the straps, atop which a lantern dangled. He said nothing as he began his decent into the darkness. Saburo assumed he was next and so followed closely after the ranger.

The sound of muffled roaring was evident and the air of the shaft was moist even in the dry winter air. Saburo felt comforted by the sight of an old ladder that made its way down the shaft with him. At least I can grab that if something happens to this rope. His decent ended on a creaking wooden platform that must have been suspended over the underground river he was hearing. Mist from the rapids below obstructed his vision despite the lantern. The only place to go was forward and Saburo acquiesced to the Fates as he wanted to get off the platform with all due haste. The passageway carried the group into a large cave supported by pillars, stretching out before them like the ribs of some great beast. Beetles scuttled across the floor, attempting to hide from the source of light that was unfamiliar to them. Eventually the cavern ended in an intersection of worked stone, sending corridors in all directions. In the center of the junction sat three tasloi severed heads, piled atop one another. As the men approached, shedding more light on the ghastly sight, beetles erupted from eye sockets and the skulls began to scream in raspy tones. The screeching took the men by surprise as the noise filled the mines, reverberating off the long stone hallways.

“So much for the element of surprise,” Yatsen mumbled under his breath.

The group trekked onwards and came to another cavern that seemed to house an office of sorts. The small room in the back held a rotten desk with dissolving scrolls that may have contained information on the once prosperous copper mine. Corroded copper chains dangling from the far wall reminded everyone the truth behind this dishonorable enterprise. Searching quickly the group uncovered a few relics of interest: a miniature copper samurai statue, a tarnished copper mirror, and a few crystal shards.

Leaving the side cavern, the group made its way down the long corridor that had initially stretched out before them. Side hallways crisscrossed the passage every 10 feet, providing many opportunities that Akira did not want to explore. The long trek came to a premature end in front of two huge copper doors. They were badly corroded and the air reeked of musk.

Akira began to inspect and test the door, but in short order concluded that it was heavily reinforced and probably impossible to breach. He was about to lead the group back down the hallway to try some of the side passages when a voice hissed from between the cracks of the copper doors in barely comprehensible Rokugani.

“You! You hasss comes back to finisssh the job, eh? To kills the ressst of usss off? Come and killsss me too, if you can, Ssssssssssssssssssss.”

“Listen shadowland spawn,” Akira bellowed. “When I get through these doors, you and the rest of your kind will taste stee-“

“Akira,” Yatsen interrupted.

The man turned to see Saburo and Yatsen; weapons brandished, starring into the edge of the light the lantern provided.

“What is it,” he asked irately.

“Look,” the young man said as pointed; wide eyed, down the corridor.

Akira didn’t see it at first, but the gentle sway of the lantern’s light began to illuminate it. At first he could only hear the long rhythmic grating of something dragging itself across the stone floor. Then it stepped into light. It was taller than a man. Its body was covered in rotting slimy scales. Its face reminded Saburo of a lizard he once saw crawling on his wall as a child…only its flesh had fallen off its bones and the boy could see exposed bone and sinew underneath. The creature raised its arms slowly as it shambled forth, hungrily groping with its razor sharp claws.

“Now you will die you filthy tasloi,” the voice from the other side of the door hissed. “The tribe of Doushi will finally have its revenge!”

Last edited:

SolidSnake

First Post
Chapter 8

Akira exploded into a blur of motion before either of his companions reacted. In an instant, his gaijin swords were in his hands and he had run past the zombie, leaving large slashes across its torso. The impact of such an attack would have killed most men, but the creature was unfazed. Emboldened by the maneuver, both Yatsen and Saburo charged forward. Saburo slashed it from afar, while his friend rushed inside of its long reach and buried his wakazashi in its abdomen to the hilt. It did not so much as shudder from the attack. Horrified, Yatsen looked up into the eyes of his undead opponent as it sunk its claws into the man’s body. He screamed; writhing in pain in a vain attempt to twist free from his foe’s grasp.

“Yatsen,” Saburo yelled as he swung his polearm into the creature’s side. The strike had no effect on the zombie’s grasp.

In its lust for flesh, the mindless corpse had forgotten about its most deadly adversary: Akira. This was all the advantage the ranger needed as he clove the creature’s arms from its body, separating Yatsen from its grasp. Using the momentum from the first strike, Akira continued his motion and used his second sword to decapitate the tortured soul. Before the head of the zombie even hit the ground, the man was upon Yatsen.

“Saburo, uncover your lantern and begin heating a dagger!”

Saburo immediately dropped his naginata and did what he was instructed while Akira ripped the zombie’s appendages out of the terrified Yatsen.

“Wha-what are you going to do,” he asked in a quivering voice as he watched the man snatch the now glowing blade from Saburo’s grasp.

“Try not to move too much. The Shadowlands can spread its taint to anything, but fire is a potent ally against corruption,” Akira said. “Saburo, hold him down.”

Yatsen screamed as the ranger shoved the poker into his gaping wounds. The sickly stench of scorch flesh filled Saburo’s nostrils as he heard the unmistakable hiss of the blade cauterizing tissue. Once the operation was complete and Yatsen was able to stand, Akira turned his attentions back towards the door. This time; however, his face was calm and his demeanor composed.

“Great Overseer,” he began. “We apologize for having mistaken you for a pathetic tasloi. We mean you no harm. We only wish to rid you of the tasloi. I give you my word that we will honor a truce if you would only let us pass.”

“Overseer,” Saburo muttered in confusion.

Akira’s finger shot to his lips.

“Truuuccccceee,” the creature whispered from beyond the door. “Yesssss, thissss would be acccceptable.”

With a loud grinding, the copper doors swung open, revealing the group’s new ally. The once proud descendant of Doushi’s line stood before ravaged by the course of time. His scaly flesh stuck to his bones; once regal robes hung off him in tatters connected by strands from which various small bones dangled. Even though his face was reptilian, Saburo could see the madness in his eyes.

“The tasloi have shattered my tribe. Their leader doesssss not believe in the great Kami Doushi! He is a Maho for sure. He killed many great warriorsssssss, while his men broke passsssst our defenccccesssss. They traveled to the Sssssshrine to befoul it, but the great spirit of Doushi desssssstroyed them! The otherssssss essssscaped.”

“Please, great Overseer,” Akira said. “Show us the way to the Shrine.”

“I cannot. I mussssst hold back the Bonetangle. Take the mine shafts north then east. You ssshall find what you ssseeeek.”

Bowing, Akira led the group down the worked corridors of stone as he was instructed by the strange shaman. As soon as they were out of earshot, Saburo couldn’t contain his curiosity any longer.

“Was that really an Overseer from the time of the Kamigishu?”

“Perhaps,” Akira replied nonplussed. “The term; as you know well, was used as a sign of respect by our ancestors towards their cruel taskmasters. As he is probably the only remaining survivor, he is by default the leader of his tribe.”

“But do you think he was one back then,” Saburo asked excitedly.

“The Dragonmen were gifted with some of Doushi’s powers and it wouldn’t surprise me to discover that their lifespan is in the centuries. Perhaps only one generation went by after the fall of Doushi. The survivors must have hid in the mining tunnels all this time, trying to salvage what remained of their shattered lives. When the mines were sealed, they were in a sense protected as no one would ever go down. I’m sure they continued to worship Doushi in the hopes that he would somehow return and save them. How sad.”

As they rounded the bend, it became obvious to everyone that they had reached their destination. Everyone was immediately drawn to the huge stone statue of a dragon seated against the far wall. It looked ready to pounce with its wings unfurled, staring down into the room. Its eyes were made of huge faceted blue gems, which caught and threw the firelight across the room at them. In front of the statue was a giant copper bowl filled with leaping fire. The bowl was on a huge stone block, which stood directly underneath the statue’s gaping maw.

“Do you think the tasloi were struck down by the spirit of Doushi,” Yatsen asked no one in particular.

“Doushi is dead,” Akira stated. “No doubt they found the tunnel and were not in fact whisked away by some long dead dragon’s mystical powers. Help search the room for anything useful.”

The group combed the room for many hours before discovering anything of use. Yatsen translated the carvings on the wall that were written in High Rokugani. They revealed not much in the way of practical information as the writing was propaganda for Doushi’s rule. However, he did discover that one of the panels showed Doushi with another dragon, staring over the offering bowl. Saburo; on the other hand, found that the fire emitting from the bowl gave off no heat and discovered many offerings within: a copper dragon sculpture, turquoise, a spear, a stone necklace, the rotting head of a tasloi, various coins minted by the Empire, and the empty wooden frame of a hand mirror. Akira discovered tiny crystal shards near the wall directly opposite the statue. Right above those shards was an indentation in the wall with no carvings.

“I always thought Doushi was the only dragon in the stories,” Yatsen murmured.

“Yes, a strange carving indeed,” Akira intoned. “Perhaps he craved a mate.”

“I don’t think so,” Saburo said. “Doushi; from the legends, loved himself and his power so much he could not share it with anyone. He kept secrets from his own tribe of worshippers. Clearly the Overseer did not know about the tunnel or he would have told us about it by now. No, Doushi was a loner for sure. What did you say you found again Akira?”

“It turns out that the shards I found were actually pieces of a mirror,” the ranger answered.

“Mirror…,” Saburo repeated. His eyes glazed over for a moment before lighting up again with realization. “I’ve got it,” he exclaimed.

“What do you get,” Yatsen asked.

“You said you saw TWO dragons in the carvings. All this time we were thinking that the other dragon was not Doushi!”

“So,” Akira grumbled.

“Both pictures are of Doushi! Or rather the reflection of Doushi. Quickly Akira, give me the copper mirror you found earlier,” Saburo said excitedly.

Taking the mirror, Saburo quickly ran to the wall opposite the statue and placed it into the indentation the ranger had found. The light reflecting in the statue’s eyes immediately intensified, sending a sapphire beam of light at the copper mirror, which was reflected back into the gems. The whole room was bathed in an azure glow as the sapphires burned with power.

The mirror began to shake from the power of the beam before exploding into tiny fragments. The statue’s eyes continued to burn bright blue as it folded its wings into its body and stepped forward, revealing a small passage behind.

“Quickly,” Akira shouted as he ran past the animated dragon.

Both men followed the ranger down the winding passageway for a few moments before they heard the unmistakable sound of the statue repositioning itself on the wall.

“I guess we have no choice but to go forward now,” Akira declared.

The tunnel was fairly large and perfectly smooth. It ran a few hundred feet before ending in a sheet of thundering water. Saburo could barely hear himself think, but was able to make out the sound of something…no, someone singing. It’s beautiful, he thought. Passing through the waterfall, the group found themselves in grotto. The luminescent waters hammered down from unseen heights above to end in the underground lake. Clouds of mist rose up from the glowing water, obscuring the figure that Saburo knew was the source of the wonderful melody.

“Yatsen…Saburo, help me hook this rope onto the stairs above-,” Akira paused.

Standing stark naked in the middle of the hazy lake was the most beautiful woman he had ever seen. Her long red hair covered her like a gossamer kimono. Her voice carried above the din of the cascade. She smiled at the men as she slowly ran the freezing water over her body. Akira knew something was wrong, but his mind felt clouded. Focusing his thoughts on getting to the staircase above, he began to struggle to ignore the woman’s presence…it was difficult.

“This ramp must lead to the lair,” Akira said.

Yatsen and Saburo; however, did not hear. They slowly had made their way over to where the woman was standing, introducing themselves. Saburo had already taken his overcoat off and given it to the woman.

“Thank you,” the woman purred.

Saburo smiled as he began to shiver uncontrollably.

“This is Yatsen,” he stammered. “My name is Saburo and that is Akira.”

“My name is Velea and I am so glad you are here,” she responded with a smile.

Last edited:

Remove ads